Long term plans

Fordgalaxy

What's the longest time away that you've planned something and ended up doing it? I've never been anything close to a planner more than a few weeks out but as of yesterday, I hatched a plan that won't come to fruition for 18 months, if it turns out like I hope. What about you?

I've always been a planner. Usually 3-6 months in advance, especially trips, vacations, etc. More so in these times of covid, restrictions, and such. Otoh, Karen was spontaneous and spur of the moment. Drove me nuts!

Four years in advance to get a college degree (after going for a year and then taking a few off to party, er.....work).

Like custom55 I planned for (semi) retirement many years before finally getting there at age 59. Worked in an industry I haled but after only being in for a few years I saw the opportunity existed for a nice pension so toughed it out til I got there.

Like pjbear05 I plan vacations several months in advance and the motorcycle trip across the continental USA was almost a year in planning.

Edited by driventotheedge

We`ve got a plan currently, that`s been taking shape since early this year. Firstly, we were both put on furlough, then made redundant and since then my wife has a new job whilst I`ve just been paid my redundancy. I`ve spent my time at home since May working on the house and garden, things I could not have done in this timeframe whilst working too. House is about to go on the market, and I hope we`ll be able to move to Scotland in the near future. Now my wife can work from home, we are much freer and we`ll be able to reduce our mortgage a lot as Scotland is cheaper, for a much better lifestyle. I`m not sure whether we`d have done this pre-Covid but it`s served as a real impetus to be happier... and further away from people and noise ;)
  • Like 2

Well, there are some bigger things, like planning to retire in 4-5 years (I can retire in four, but my wife still has five, so there's the question of how smart it would be for me to go play golf everyday while she heads off to work. Looks like five, I guess.) That plan is still active.

All my other long-term plans over the last thirty years have pretty much gone to shit, so I've given up and just sort of go with it. If we plan something even a few weeks out, it might come together.

ea3a45b5122e034c8f9df2a57c36ef32.jpg

• Like 2

Only on vacations where I do research and figure out what we want to do. Even then I try to keep 30% open time for things we find and want to do spur of the moment.

Other than that I pretty much go with the Flo.

tenor.gif

I don’t LIKE planning anything. I have been known to bristle when it comes to having to plan anything at all.

Hate talking to my financial advisor. And my probate attorney. And my tax accountant.

I started saving early in life- for retirement, my kids’ college, etc...because I had the means to do so. I picked a number that I could put away that was within my budget, and just set it aside. I’m not one of those people who watches his accounts every day; my god, there’s so much more to life than that, for me. (And by ‘more’, I mean less, actually- just simpler things that make me happy).

If everything fell into place just right, in terms of my expenses for the rest of my life, I might be able to retire right now. But I can’t count on that. Yet my ‘planning’, when it comes to that, consists of just continuing to do what I do...and in a couple of years, I’ll look at it again, and...who knows?

As far as planning trips, or even a thought as simple as ‘what am I going to do tonight?’...I’m big on spontaneity.

I’m a seat of the pants type, in a lot of ways.

Only on vacations where I do research and figure out what we want to do. Even then I try to keep 30% open time for things we find and want to do spur of the moment.

tenor.gif

My Dad always says people spend more time planning their holidays than they do the rest of their lives :codger:

tenor.gif

My Dad always says people spend more time planning their holidays than they do the rest of their lives :codger:

:LOL: