Greatest Progressive Rock Album Of All Time Pt. 5: TOP FIVE!

Entre_Perpetuo

Choose 1  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Choose 1

• Rush - Hemispheres
    • Rush - Moving Pictures
    • Yes - Close To The Edge
    • Jethro Tull - Thick As A Birck
    • Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon

Yes - Close To The Edge ...... my greatest prog album of all time, closely followed by Genesis - Selling England By The Pound (which ain't on the list) Edited by zepphead

Here we are folks, the top 5. You may only choose ONE singular album from the list!

Boy this ain't easy.

Boy, you ain't kidding!

As much as I love Rush in general, and MP in particular, had to go with CttE here.

• Like 2

From Rolling Stone magazine.

50 Greatest Prog Rock Albums of All Time

I would've chosen one RUSH album and put in King Crimson, 'In the Court of the Crimson King' (1969) as an option instead.

That is because you are wise and educated. Unlike these fckuking morons.

"Critics, can't even float..."

It's between CTTE, DSOTM, and MP for me. When I think about them, CTTE seems like it should win pretty easily as it's pretty much my favorite Yes album and one of my absolute favorite albums of all time, but then I think about how unbelievably perfect DSOTM is, even though it's not my number one PF album, it comes really darn close. And then I think about Moving Pictures....Moving Pictures dang it.

I may have to take the Freewill option on this one and choose not to decide.

From this group of five, I've decided to pick one. I wasn't sure if it would've been narrowed, and reduced to a top five, or ten. Along with "Yes", and "Genesis", "Pink Floyd", and "Led Zeppelin" have been right up there as my top personal favorite bands, and groups, too. Edited by Derek19

I picked CttE because it's a pure prog album. You could argue whether DSotM was progressive (you would lose that argument), and I think 2112 the better progressive representative from Rush's catalogue. Aqualung is the only Tull I can listen to from beginning to end, and even that has a few skippable tracks. When it came down to CttE and DSotM, I felt like CttE is fully representative of progressive rock. Lyrically and musically spacey, exceptional musicianship and complexity. DSotM's genius is more subtle and the virtuosity is in the execution, less in the inherent exceptionalism of the individual musicians. With Yes you have arguable the best prog drummer, bassist, keyboardist, and guitarist in the same band. And to my ears, it sounds like it. Pink Floyd has always to me been an above average rock band with great ideas and tasteful execution. Edited by stoopid