Which was the first one?

Nova Carmina

Just sort of curious about how your musical tastes got started, so . . .

Thinking about the first one you bought with your own money, intentionally.

(I'll try to cover all the formats, given the ages 'round here! But I can skip the 78 rpms, right?)

What was the first 45 rpm you bought?

What was the first LP you bought?

What was the first 8-track?

What was the first cassette?

First CD?

First song/album you downloaded?

• Like 2

I think my first CD was George Michael’s Faith. And I think my first 45 with my own money was David Soul, “don’t give up on us,” LOL.
  • Like 1

What was the first 45 rpm you bought? ---- The Beatles, I Wanna Hold Your Hand / I Saw Her Standing There

What was the first LP you bought? ---- The Rolling Stones - High Tide and Green Grass

What was the first 8-track? ---- Yes - Fragile ( I still have it !!! )

What was the first cassette? ---- Humble Pie - Rockin' the Fillmore

First CD? --- The Who - Live At Leeds

First song/album you downloaded? --- The Who - Live At Leeds

• Like 3

Why Can't This be Love - Van Halen

AC/DC - Back In Black. First pressing - still have it.

Never owned one.

ESL

First CD?

White Lion - Pride. When it was new.

Rik Emmett had some stuff available on his website in the late 90's. I think. I'm pretty sure the song was something of his... like a different version of Hold On, or something.

Album: 2005 or so, I guess. Porcupine Tree from their label's website. Might have been the XMII live album.

I didn't really start downloading stuff until 2005 or so when iTunes started ramping up. I was still buying CD's regularly until 2008-ish when Amazon then started selling mp3's.

Edited by grep

What was the first 45 rpm you bought? I was given a bunch by relatives, but never bought one myself. I had a cover version of Your So Vain by the Odd Couple, lol.

What was the first LP you bought? As I said, it was Boston's debut.

What was the first 8-track? Never bought one, but my wife had a bunch. My mother in law threw them all away a couple summers back. Dang!

What was the first cassette? Rush, Archives

First CD? Rush, Moving Pictures, bought to hear in my new Forerunner, which had a cd player.

First song/album you downloaded? Napster...My Favorite Headache

I also had a bunch of 78z. I was quite fond of Abba Dabba Honeymoon. :)

• Like 1

45: They're Coming to Take Me Away, Ha Ha, by Napoleon XIV.

LP: Kick Out the Jams, by The MC 5.

Cassette: Live at Leeds, by The Who. Real PoS, way in the red, distorted af.

CD: Autobahn, by Kraftwerk.

No 8 tracks or downloads.

• Like 2

45: Can't really remember. My sister used to buy most of the 45s and I bought the albums. I do remember a special trip to buy "I've Got A Name" by Jim Croce.

LP: Sweet Baby James, James Taylor

8 Track: Endless Summer, Beach Boys

Cassette: American Fool, John Cougar. Didn't have many, mostly LPs.

CD: Bonnie Raitt, Give It Up

Download: (this is true!) Fly By Night and Closer to the Heart. I wanted to see how they would sound on an ipod!

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 2

(I'll try to cover all the formats, given the ages 'round here! But I can skip the 78 rpms, right?)

First CD?

You need to fill in your own history! Good questions! :P

• Like 1

The first album I bought with my own money was Van Halen- 1984...on cassette. I was 10 years old.

The first CD I ever bought was The Beatles- Abbey Road. I was 13.

• Like 1

Just sort of curious about how your musical tastes got started

This is actually an entirely separate question to be answered, in my case- my first purchases don’t really capture it.

I was turned on to Rush before either of the two purchases that I specified...and as great as The Beatles were, there is a lot more music that has meant more to me since.

But your questions were still fun to answer!

• Like 1

Impressed that some of you guys can remember this stuff. What format I bought the first of what on is all a fog to me. But I'm pretty sure I remember listening in the early 70s to my sister's 45 of The Partridge Family's "I Think I Love You" (a song I like by the way. lol.). Also remember 45s bought by my cousins. Stuff like "The Sound of Silence" and "Joy To The World" AKA "Jeremiah Was a Bullfrog." But I can't remember the first 45 I bought for myself. I will say though that my first listens to cds never equaled the magical feelings of my first listens to vinyl records.
  • Like 3

What was the first 45 rpm you bought? I never bought a 45 that I recall . . .

What was the first LP you bought? It was the first three KISS albums in one collection; I was twelve or thirteen?

What was the first 8-track? Never bought one

What was the first cassette? The very first was one of those K-Tel collections called something like "Radio Rock Hits!" It had "New World Man" on it; I joined the Columbia Record and Tape club and among my 6 for a penny was Lick It Up, Synchronicity, and The Eurythmics. Grace Under Pressure was the first Rush one, from K-Mart!

First CD? I came to CDs late; the first one was Blues Traveller's Live From the Fall (or maybe James Taylor's greatest hits?) When I bought Test For Echo, I could only play it in my new desktop computer!

First song/album you downloaded? The Beatles: The White Album

You need to fill in your own history! Good questions! :P

I will say though that my first listens to cds never equaled the magical feelings of my first listens to vinyl records.

I still remember my dad showing me how to place the stylus arm on the record, how to wipe the record clean before and after playing, how to store them upright (never flat!). He never took me hunting, but he taught me the proper reverence for music!

• Like 3

What was the first LP you bought? A crapload at some vinyl convention 4 years ago when I got into vinyl. One of them was a Canadian pressing of News Of The World by Queen.

What was the first cassette? First I owned in kindergarten was Licensed To Ill. First I got with money if you count gift certificates is New Adventures In Hi-Fi by R.E.M. on my 16th birthday and first in terms of real money was Whatever And Ever Amen by Ben Folds Five in May 1997. The rest had been bought for me by parents.

First CD? Ben Folds Five self titled in July 1997 followed by Yield by Pearl Jam when it came out,

First song/album you downloaded? Legally, it was Is This Love by Whitesnake in Spring 2004. Around the same time, I got YOSLY by Matchbox 20 on iTunes which I previously got on cassette around Thanksgiving in 11th grade.

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 1

Impressed that some of you guys can remember this stuff. What format I bought the first of what on is all a fog to me. But I'm pretty sure I remember listening in the early 70s to my sister's 45 of The Partridge Family's "I Think I Love You" (a song I like by the way. lol.). Also remember 45s bought by my cousins. Stuff like "The Sound of Silence" and "Joy To The World" AKA "Jeremiah Was a Bullfrog." But I can't remember the first 45 I bought for myself. I will say though that my first listens to cds never equaled the magical feelings of my first listens to vinyl records.

Yeah, being poor I listened to other people's music way more than buying anything. In grade 6 I got money as a gift and spent $6 on that Boston album. Wings Over America, Endless Summer and Zep IV were given to me, and I nicked my sister's copy of Jethro Tull's MU Best of...

Those were the early five outside my parents' easy listening stuff and AM radio

• Like 2

Yeah, being poor I listened to other people's music way more than buying anything. In grade 6 I got money as a gift and spent $6 on that Boston album. Wings Over America, Endless Summer and Zep IV were given to me, and I nicked my sister's copy of Jethro Tull's MU Best of...

Wow that was a fortuitous spend of that money if there ever was one. Love that album.

My mom bought me a K-Tel compilation when I was around 10 or 11 and, seriously, at that age, it was one of the greatest things I'd ever heard. Wore that mutha out. Around age 13, I started listening to my buddy's records that he'd bought with allowance money. We both loved The Eagles Greatest Hits and Boston's Debut. He'd also play his dad's Richard Pryor album (maybe it was actually his though) and we ended up growing up a little faster than we should have. lol. Later as a mid-teen, I started using my occasional lawn mowing/snow shoveling money and started buying LPs. We're talking stuff like Ted Nugent's 1975 solo debut, Styx Crystal Ball, Journey Infinity, Kansas Leftoverture.

It was basically the stuff AOR radio was feeding us at the time in east-central WI. But FM radio really changed the ball-game for my taste in music. When we got this big console record player/8-track player/FM radio that looked like furniture, I'd never heard such an awesome, fat, stereo sound coming out a radio before and AOR/arena rock was perfectly suited for that sound. It's interesting. The music that hits you during the early teens to early 20s imprints on your psyche for the rest of your life (it did mine anyway). We weren't exposed very much to the big city punk and garage movements of the mid-70s so there weren't many items like that on the menu I had to choose from. Consequently, I've never really been into that kind of music. New wave is a different story though. I was exposed to and liked a lot of that stuff because it was so big in the early 80s.

Edited by Three Eyes
  • Like 2

Fun idea, Nova Carmina!

1st 45: "Another Brick in the Wall Pt 2" I think...

1st LP: Peter & Gordon "True Love Ways" for 10 cents at a school junk sale.

1st cassette: ABBA Greatest Hits

1st cd: bought two at once: B52s debut and Hildegaard of Bingen's "Feather on the Breath of God"

1st download: Raymond Scott "Little Miss Echo"

R-2641445-1458567913-7468.jpeg.jpg

Loved that cassette to pieces! :LOL:

• Like 3

"Lonely Days" first 45rpm vinyl record. Because it reminded me of The Beatle's "Because", Steppenwolf's "7" album, because of the Chrome Skulls on the album art. bPHq6Ff.jpg First 8 Track, The Carpenters, "Ticket To Ride" originally titled "Offering" and based on religious leanings, And even from the beginnings, I made my own cassettes, and the first one I made was "Get Your Wings" on a hour long BASF tape in mono. My first CD was Metallica's "Master Of Puppets". First MD, [Mini Disk,CIie419.jpg] Was "Boheme" by Deep Forest. Can't remember the first MP3 album.....but that is my media oriented list...My Dad used to listen to a program called "Hymn Time" on the radio, and Mom kept WJR on the AM radio in the kitchen, I kept CKLW on my bakelite radio in my bedroom, and WJR on at night with basket ball games and Night Flight on late night.

3i9UN2D.gif

Edited by OldRUSHfan
  • Like 2

Wow that was a fortuitous spend of that money if there ever was one. Love that album.

My mom bought me a K-Tel compilation when I was around 10 or 11 and, seriously, at that age, it was one of the greatest things I'd ever heard. Wore that mutha out. Around age 13, I started listening to my buddy's records that he'd bought with allowance money. We both loved The Eagles Greatest Hits and Boston's Debut. He'd also play his dad's Richard Pryor album (maybe it was actually his though) and we ended up growing up a little faster than we should have. lol. Later as a mid-teen, I started using my occasional lawn mowing/snow shoveling money and started buying LPs. We're talking stuff like Ted Nugent's 1975 solo debut, Styx Crystal Ball, Journey Infinity, Kansas Leftoverture.

It was basically the stuff AOR radio was feeding us at the time in east-central WI. But FM radio really changed the ball-game for my taste in music. When we got this big console record player/8-track player/FM radio that looked like furniture, I'd never heard such an awesome, fat, stereo sound coming out a radio before and AOR/arena rock was perfectly suited for that sound. It's interesting. The music that hits you during the early teens to early 20s imprints on your psyche for the rest of your life (it did mine anyway). We weren't exposed very much to the big city punk and garage movements of the mid-70s so there weren't many items like that on the menu I had to choose from. Consequently, I've never really been into that kind of music. New wave is a different story though. I was exposed to and liked a lot of that stuff because it was so big in the early 80s.

Sounds pretty similar to my experience. :cheers:
  • Like 1