Rank Your Favorite Bands' Albums

ST3V

Haken

1. The Mountain (pretty much perfect)

2. Vector

3. Virus

(3.5 - Henshall's solo album the Cocoon is ranked around here)

4. Aquarius 

5. Affinity

6. Visions (some of their best songs are on here, but as a whole the album kind of drags and you can't have that in a concept album - that's why this is so low)

7. Fauna (i only really enjoy the singles)

Sonata Arctica

1. Silence (perfect album and still to this day a one-of-a-kind accomplishment in power metal)

2. Reckoning Night (see above, only now they start to steer more towards prog metal - and have lost the old keyboardists' Mikko's touch...)

3. Winterheart's Guild 

4.  Ecliptica (strong debut album but they were still a bit too much of a stratovarius knock-off, and too young of a band to have grown into their own yet. they got it right on the next album - silence)

5. Unia (still their most controversial album, still great anyway) 

6. Pariah's Child  (perfect blend of "classic" and "new" sonata)

7. Clear Cold Beyond (though they tried to recapture the classic power metal song they kind of failed for the most part. I blame Elias more than anything else)

8. Stones Grow Her Name (probably their most creative endeavor next to Unia, and a lot of the time it works out for them)

9. The Days of Grays (too heavy on the symphonics)

10. The Ninth Hour (a few songs on here are amazing but the rest are terrible misses. it could have great as an EP ;) )

11. Talviyo (absolute blunder)

• Like 1

I'll have to listen to Dire Straits a lot more before deciding on a ranking I'm comfortable with for them, but I'm pretty sure "Love Over Gold" will come in first.. 

• Like 1

This one's kind of difficult to do just because their catalogue is very consistent quality wise

Blind Guardian

1. Imaginations From The Other Side

2. Nightfall in Middle Earth

3. A Night at the Opera

4. Beyond the Red Mirror

5. Tales From the Twilight World

6. Somewhere Far Beyond

7. The God Machine

8. A Twist in the Myth

9. Follow the Blind

10/11 - tie for Edge of Time & Battalions of Fear.. 

^ these are the only albums of theirs I don't really enjoy much. whenever i give them another try it feels like a chore and I'd rather be listening to any of their other albums instead. 

• Like 2

Queens of the Stone Age

5 Stars

1. ...Like Clockwork

2. Songs for the Deaf

3. Era Vulgaris 

4 Stars (unfortunately none of these hit anywhere near as well as the top 3 albums)

4. Rated R

5. Lullabies to Paralyze

6. Self-titled

7. Time New Roman

3.5 Stars

8. Villains (it's really not bad, they just leaned a little bit too much into the whole pop/dance rock trend that was going on at the time) 

24 minutes ago, Mr. Not said:

Queens of the Stone Age

5 Stars

1. ...Like Clockwork

2. Songs for the Deaf

3. Era Vulgaris 

4 Stars (unfortunately none of these hit anywhere near as well as the top 3 albums)

4. Rated R

5. Lullabies to Paralyze

6. Self-titled

7. Time New Roman

3.5 Stars

8. Villains (it's really not bad, they just leaned a little bit too much into the whole pop/dance rock trend that was going on at the time) 

I almost blame Mark Ronson for Villains being a bit too pop/dance. But he also helped make In Times New Roman... which I like a lot more.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Union 5-3992 said:

I almost blame Mark Ronson for Villains being a bit too pop/dance. But he also helped make In Times New Roman... which I like a lot more.

It was such a dumb trend in alt rock and I'm glad Queens of the Stone age didn't go all out with it and completely sell out for radio play or whatever. The songs are still original enough. Still haven't warmed up to Times New Roman that much.

My ranking of Sonata Arctica:

1. Reckoning Night (flawless. Contains three of my all time favourite metal songs: Don't Say A Word, My Selene, and White Pearl Black Oceans. Every single song here is phenomenal to me though).

2. Winterheart's Guild (a very, very close second. Broken, Draw Me...doesn't get much better than any tracks off this album)

3. Silence (more greatness.)

4. Ecliptica (Terrific debut album, I love each and every song, even if compared to later albums it comes off a touch generic)

5. Days Of Grays (Used to ve my favourite, the band through themselves into symphonic metal with great results. Again, absolutely love this album)

6. Pariah's Child (this is where things start to get patchy. This album is quirky, brings back some early SA vibes, has some corny moments...some WTF moments...I enjoy it.)

7. The Ninth Hour (Odd one this. I enjoy this album immensely, but it has little that truly stands out. Life is one of my fave songs ever)

8. Unia (Amazingly experimental, this is a love/hate album. I feel i should rank this much higher, but honestly i find it veey exhausting. Terrific songs, many of their absolute best in fact, but its not as great as the sum of its parts).

9. Clear Cold Beyond (the new album really has impressed me, especially followinf an absolute stinker. However, it also lacks a single surprise, so for now, it sits safe near the bottom)

10. Stones Grow Her Name (It's kinda painful listening to this remembering how much I value their greatest works. Not a terrible album, but a confusing one.)

11. Talviyo (shit)

Blind Guardian:

To keep it brief, utter perfection for me:

2. Nightfall In Middle Earth 

3. Somewhere Far Beyond 

4. A Night At The Opera 

Love, love love love them but they are a litte less than the above:

5. Tales From The Twilight World

6. Battalions Of Fear

7. Follow The Blind

8. Beyond The Red Mirror

Really appreciate this album, wish it was more exciting:

9. Edge Of Time

Unfortunately bores me:

10. The God Machine

Sounds awful, songs lack:

11. A Twist In The Myth

Nightwish:

1. Endless Forms Most Beautiful (in my top ten albums ever, this is an album I hold dear to my heart. Precious, my number one album of the 2010's.)

2. Century Child (There is a gentle sadness to this album that I find highly emotive and it's also just so exquisitely beautiful. Ever Dream, Bless The Child, Beauty Of The Beast...gorgeous)

=. Dark Passion Play (In all honesty i think this is the bands masterpiece. An album so f***ing brilliant I even rank the bonus songs as amongst the best ever. While Your Lips Are Still Red and The Escapist are two absolute essential tracks, they arent even on the album. And what is on the album is fire).

4. Wishmaster (Some fans don't love this album as much as me. Thats okay. I dont mind)

5. Once (i find this overrated. The production is sterile and the best song here, Ghost Love Score, suffers from a didappointing fadeout. But this is renowned as a classic, and in all honesty i have come to lobe it for what it is. I do think its clear the band was starting to write songs that didnt quite gel with Tarjas voice)

6. Imaginaerum (stunning album, if a bit exhausting)

7. Oceanborn (Sleeping Sun is an all time classic song for me, and it wasn't even on the original tracklist. Still, brilliant album, offbeat production. It has a unique atmosphere though, and it's deserving as a major fan favourite. Sadly, not entirely one of mine)

8. Human Nature (I'm just gonna keep it simple: if a collection of songs as strong as this is ranked second from last, you know I love this band. However its not the bands best album, and personally i find it quite boring.)

9. Angels Fall First (Sounds like a demo, bursting with originality and ambition. But I repeat: Sounds like a demo)

18 hours ago, Mr. Not said:

This one's kind of difficult to do just because their catalogue is very consistent quality wise

Blind Guardian

2. Nightfall in Middle Earth

3. A Night at the Opera

4. Beyond the Red Mirror

5. Tales From the Twilight World

6. Somewhere Far Beyond

7. The God Machine

8. A Twist in the Myth

9. Follow the Blind

10/11 - tie for Edge of Time & Battalions of Fear.. 

^ these are the only albums of theirs I don't really enjoy much. whenever i give them another try it feels like a chore and I'd rather be listening to any of their other albums instead. 

I love Battallions of Fear!

Edge Of Time is fine. Wish I enjoyed it more as I really love some songs (especially Wheel Of Time, based on one of my top three fantasy series ever)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mr. Not said:

I'll have to listen to Dire Straits a lot more before deciding on a ranking I'm comfortable with for them, but I'm pretty sure "Love Over Gold" will come in first.. 

Love Over Gold is my fave

• Like 1

Ok Zappa.

i have decided to give you my 15 favs but ranked .  now just to put this in perspective.  he released about 60 albums JUST IN HIS LIFETIME.  And i don't know how many more posthumously.  i will include live albums in here.  because every live album always had new material not on studio albums.  and really all his live stuff had numerous studio overdubs anyway.  with that in mind.  and BTW i hope this helps budding fans who might be interested

1. Over-Nite Sensation

2. Zappa In New York (live)

3. Apostrophe

4. Shiek Yerbouti (semi live with Studio Elements)

5. Roxy & Elsewhere (live)

6. Zoot Allures

7.  Tinseltown Rebellion (live)

8. You Are What You Is

9. Joe's Garage

10. One Size Fits All

11.  You Can't Do that On Stage Anymore vol 1 (live)

12. You Can't Do that....Vol. 2 (live)

13. We're only In it For the Money

14. Sleep Dirt

15. Them or us.

those are my fav 15.  if any interests you and you feel hooked.  there's plenty more out there but i feel ANY of these are good starts.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

Ok Zappa.

i have decided to give you my 15 favs but ranked .  now just to put this in perspective.  he released about 60 albums JUST IN HIS LIFETIME.  And i don't know how many more posthumously.  i will include live albums in here.  because every live album always had new material not on studio albums.  and really all his live stuff had numerous studio overdubs anyway.  with that in mind.  and BTW i hope this helps budding fans who might be interested

1. Over-Nite Sensation

2. Zappa In New York (live)

3. Apostrophe

4. Shiek Yerbouti (semi live with Studio Elements)

5. Roxy & Elsewhere (live)

6. Zoot Allures

7.  Tinseltown Rebellion (live)

8. You Are What You Is

9. Joe's Garage

10. One Size Fits All

11.  You Can't Do that On Stage Anymore vol 1 (live)

12. You Can't Do that....Vol. 2 (live)

13. We're only In it For the Money

14. Sleep Dirt

15. Them or us.

those are my fav 15.  if any interests you and you feel hooked.  there's plenty more out there but i feel ANY of these are good starts.

Mick

I could never get too into Sleep Dirt or Them or Us, maybe I should give those another shot.

Even doing a top 15 for Zappa is pretty difficult tbh, but Joe's Garage would have to be my #1, and I know a few of the albums you listed would overlap.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mr. Not said:

I could never get too into Sleep Dirt or Them or Us, maybe I should give those another shot.

Even doing a top 15 for Zappa is pretty difficult tbh, but Joe's Garage would have to be my #1, and I know a few of the albums you listed would overlap.

thing is zappa was so prolific that i think everyone has different favs.

i know people who love the early Mothers period best.  That's probably my least fav era.

i also am not fond of his classical ventures.

ii think my fav band he had is the 73-76 one.  so that's like Over-nite Sensation to One size fits all album wise.

Mick

On 3/12/2024 at 6:24 PM, Mr. Not said:

That was my #1 for a long time, but Making Movies has taken the top spot in recent years.  The songs on that album are really fun to play and sing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, goose said:

That was my #1 for a long time, but Making Movies has taken the top spot in recent years.  The songs on that album are really fun to play and sing.

i'm forever bouncing between Making Movies and Love over Gold as my fav.

both tremendous records.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

thing is zappa was so prolific that i think everyone has different favs.

i know people who love the early Mothers period best.  That's probably my least fav era.

i also am not fond of his classical ventures.

ii think my fav band he had is the 73-76 one.  so that's like Over-nite Sensation to One size fits all album wise.

Mick

Yeah, you not having Hot Rats on your top 15 gets a certified "what" from me :D 

Other than that though I find it very reasonable 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Mr. Not said:

i'll tell you why....i'm not a fan of all instrumental albums.  simple as that.  i appreciate the talent on there but i get bored really quick if there's no vocals.

i can deal with an isolated instrumental on an album.  which Zappa has done too. but a full album i just zone out. i mean it does have one vocal in Willie The Pimp but that's it,

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

i'll tell you why....i'm not a fan of all instrumental albums.  simple as that.  i appreciate the talent on there but i get bored really quick if there's no vocals.

i can deal with an isolated instrumental on an album.  which Zappa has done too. but a full album i just zone out. i mean it does have one vocal in Willie The Pimp but that's it,

Mick

Peaches En Regalia alone gives the album a top 15 spot for me. I'll admit the rest of the album isn't up to par with that track, but it's still great.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mr. Not said:

Peaches En Regalia alone gives the album a top 15 spot for me. I'll admit the rest of the album isn't up to par with that track, but it's still great.

i do love peaches too.  i will admit that song smokes.

Mick

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mr. Not said:

I was shocked by this exclusion as well. 

not to hijack this thread with zappa but i just went through spotify and "liked" all my faves by him, now i have ~500 songs on spotify liked with roughly 10% being zappa/mothers.. 

Have I ever done Coldplay?

1. Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends

2. A Rush Of Blood To The Head

3. Mylo Xyloto

4. Ghost Stories

5. Parachutes

6. Everyday Life

7. X&Y

8. A Head Full Of Dreams

9. Music Of The Spheres

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Have I ever done Coldplay?

1. Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends

2. A Rush Of Blood To The Head

3. Mylo Xyloto

4. Ghost Stories

5. Parachutes

6. Everyday Life

7. X&Y

8. A Head Full Of Dreams

9. Music Of The Spheres

I love X&Y and Ghost Stories the most!

Mylo was really cool to me. Unfortunately not enjoyed the albums since.

• Like 1