The 5 Albums You've Listened to the Most

Pre-rock, from my parents' collection...

Take Five - Brubeck

Love Story (and other songs) - Roger Williams [a collection of movie themes]

Every Mothers Son

Jesus Christ Superstar soundtrack

Herb Alpert - Whipped Cream and Other Delights

I had almost all. Only one I didn't have was Every Mothers Son

Come on down to my boat, and you can listen to my copy!

i had the 45 though. Does that count? :)

I wrote a top five without mentioning Nightwish- Dark Passion Play or Triviums Ascendancy.

I can guarantee that for about five years, those two were played obsessively, and were both rediscovered in a BIG way around 2015, and spun plenty since then.

Non comprende hombre. DPP was released in 2007 and you played it obsessively until sometime in 2012, then totally forgot about it until 2015 and played regularly since then..?

I slowed down on most metal bands between 2009 and 2013/14 when I made the mistake of being a Jehovah's Witness. When I started dipping my toes into seventies waters, bands like Rush and Zeppelin had a lot of bizarre stigma surrounding them and I had to listen to a lot of music secretly.

When Nightwish came out with EFMB in 2015, that was around the time I stopped caring about what people thought about me, started buying back old records I threw away and went back to metal in a BIG way, including all the poppier bands I loved as a teenager.

And believe me, I got in trouble for loving the last Nightwish album as the lyrics dealt with themes of science that clash with JW teachings, I went to see them live that year and had to, for the most part, keep it off social media and disguise the trip as a visit to a friend (who was also JW and went secretly with me). I bought every Nightwish album, but like nearly all my rock and metal, I could only really play them in private and living with super religious family it had to be quiet and not frequently. I threw away all my Trivium, Mastodon...basically all my metal. I found enjoyment in AOR bands and all that stuff because it's so safe NOTHING could offend anyone, and I would be terrified of anyone finding a record in my collection with a swear word. I had the most...challengingly vanilla record collection that I mostly had to hide away. Only band I insisted on not hiding away was Lacuna Coil, and I was heavily reprimanded many a time for having their records and listening to them. I never wore band T shirts for the fear "someone might be stumbled".

My most played bands were Jimmy Eat World and Third Eye Blind. Really, really safe.

2015 was also the year I rediscovered Paradise Lost. Even now you will see me post "rediscovered this band from my teens". It's a big deal still to get back to all the music I loved and forgot about as a teen. Metal feels brand new to me again. I can FINALLY collect Iron Maiden records again (as a side note, a girl I grew up with left the religion, went back home last month and her mum beat her up for wearing an Iron Maiden hoodie because it was believed she was possessed)

Those years were horrible, and I ended up coming to this forum all the time to escape.

So a few short years, maybe. But they were truly tough years mentally and I was drained, having to keep a lot locked up mentally, living a day to day life of religious routine, Bible reading, Bible studying, told always what I was and what I enjoyed was wrong, and was being told to feel ashamed of EVERYTHING I used to enjoy.

I got in a lot of trouble for just buying Harry Potter books again.

I left the religion in late 2017. So, you make it sound like a few short years. They were some the hardest years of my life, and I am still paying for it now with a lot of mental and emotional problems.

But you be you.

TL:DR

:P

It was something about Harry Potter being a Mormon.

Nailed it!

A must for every collection!

http://stuffnobodycaresabout.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Cover-Whipped-Cream-and-Other-Delights.jpg

Best album cover of all time.

:yes:
  • Like 1

Take Five - Brubeck

Love Story (and other songs) - Roger Williams [a collection of movie themes]

Every Mothers Son

Jesus Christ Superstar soundtrack

I had almost all. Only one I didn't have was Every Mothers Son

Come on down to my boat, and you can listen to my copy!

i had the 45 though. Does that count? :)

Ooooo... What was on side B?

ETA: I Believe In You

Edited by goose

S & G's Greatest Hits too. That, Elton John Greatest Hits, and Wings Over America were my trinity of favorites when I first really got into music in early grade school

Add the Beatles' blue album and a Beach Boys compilation (Good Vibrations) and those are my early five for rock.

You certainly didn't build your musical house on sand; that's as strong a foundation as I can imagine! I oddly didn't "discover" The Beatles until I was in college. Though I liked their individual stuff, the contrarian in me rejected The Beatles over the years because they were so big, so popular, so everything. I couldn't imagine they deserved the press and adulation so I sort of scoffed at them as puffed up Monkees. Then I heard Tomorrow Never Knows, Dear Prudence, Across the Universe, Long Long Long, the Help! LP, etc etc, and I thought, WTF have I been missing! It was a conversion experience, seeing something for the first time that had been in front of my face for many years. I still look back fondly at the first two to three years where I got to revel in The Beatles as an adult (or adult-ish I suppose). Imagine hearing Sgt. Peppers or the White Album for the first time as a twenty year-old.

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 2

Imagine hearing Sgt. Peppers or the White Album for the first time as a twenty year-old.

I'll be 65 in a few weeks, so that is difficult for me to imagine since i grew up with them and still remember watching them on the Ed Sullivan Show for the first time, as well as my brother coming home from work one day with the 45 I Wanna Hold Your Hand, and my mother and I laughing at the picture of them on the record jacket because they had long hair, and my brother laughing at The Beatles because he said they went off-key at the end of the song.

Edited by Lorraine

S & G's Greatest Hits too. That, Elton John Greatest Hits, and Wings Over America were my trinity of favorites when I first really got into music in early grade school

Add the Beatles' blue album and a Beach Boys compilation (Good Vibrations) and those are my early five for rock.

You certainly didn't build your musical house on sand; that's as strong a foundation as I can imagine! I oddly didn't "discover" The Beatles until I was in college. Though I liked their individual stuff, the contrarian in me rejected The Beatles over the years because they were so big, so popular, so everything. I couldn't imagine they deserved the press and adulation so I sort of scoffed at them as puffed up Monkees. Then I heard Tomorrow Never Knows, Dear Prudence, Across the Universe, Long Long Long, the Help! LP, etc etc, and I thought, WTF have I been missing! It was a conversion experience, seeing something for the first time that had been in front of my face for many years. I still look back fondly at the first two to three years where I got to revel in The Beatles as an adult (or adult-ish I suppose). Imagine hearing Sgt. Peppers or the White Album for the first time as a twenty year-old.

Let's see...I was, mm, 17 when I first heard Sgt. Pepper's (maybe 16), and probably about 18 when I first heard the White Album (heck, maybe even 19). I'm now 20.

Let's see...I was, mm, 17 when I first heard Sgt. Pepper's (maybe 16), and probably about 18 when I first heard the White Album (heck, maybe even 19). I'm now 20.

Ha! Unless you were intentionally avoiding them, like I was, I don't get how that's possible, assuming you're into music. Then again, I read that after Danger Mouse put out The Grey Album that many people were like, "I had no idea The Beatles were that good!" I know a guy in his fifties who's been a music freak his whole life. A music freak among music freaks, actually (sadly, his self-identity is caught up in it, like a fourteen year-old who never grew up). He takes pride in claiming he's never once listened to a Beatles album. I think that borders on pathology, actually. By missing out on RS, Revolver, Sgt Peppers, White Album and Abbey Road, at least, you're missing out on five of the greatest albums ever, no matter what you think of The Beatles or John/Paul/George/Ringo. It's silly bordering on rank stupidity IMO.

• Like 3

Ha! Unless you were intentionally avoiding them, like I was, I don't get how that's possible, assuming you're into music. Then again, I read that after Danger Mouse put out The Grey Album that many people were like, "I had no idea The Beatles were that good!" I know a guy in his fifties who's been a music freak his whole life. A music freak among music freaks, actually (sadly, his self-identity is caught up in it, like a fourteen year-old who never grew up). He takes pride in claiming he's never once listened to a Beatles album. I think that borders on pathology, actually. By missing out on RS, Revolver, Sgt Peppers, White Album and Abbey Road, at least, you're missing out on five of the greatest albums ever, no matter what you think of The Beatles or John/Paul/George/Ringo. It's silly bordering on rank stupidity IMO.

to me that IS clear stupidity. you can hate what you hear.....FINE with me but to take pride in not spinning classics. turn in your so called music lovers card now.

you don't deserve it.........all my opinion.

Mick

• Like 3

to me that IS clear stupidity. you can hate what you hear.....FINE with me but to take pride in not spinning classics. turn in your so called music lovers card now.

Mick

Bravo!

I love a lot of obscure music because for whatever reason I heard those sorts of bands first. But I discovered a lot the classics through lesser known bands praising them as influence.

Discovered Trivium and In Flames first, before Metallica and Maiden, for example.

• Like 3

Mick

Bravo!

I love a lot of obscure music because for whatever reason I heard those sorts of bands first. But I discovered a lot the classics through lesser known bands praising them as influence.

Discovered Trivium and In Flames first, before Metallica and Maiden, for example.

Agreed...I mean I’ve listened to and loved a whole lot of different kinds of music, numerous different artists within a genre, etc- and I like to listen to a lot of things that are a bit off of the beaten path. But that doesn’t at all mean that I don’t like (or, worse, don’t even regard) the giants.

For any band, or particular album, or run of albums, that is widely regarded as classic- there is usually a good reason why.

• Like 4

^ However, I will absolutely stand up for E_P when it comes to The Beatles. I discovered them myself when I was 13, but it happens at different times for everybody. There is a lot of tremendous music that I didn’t discover until I was in my 20s, 30s, or 40s (I’m 46 now).
  • Like 2

^ However, I will absolutely stand up for E_P when it comes to The Beatles. I discovered them myself when I was 13, but it happens at different times for everybody. There is a lot of tremendous music that I didn’t discover until I was in my 20s, 30s, or 40s (I’m 46 now).

i didn't discover Steely Dan till i was 20. they were later in my journey. and they've become a top 10 band.

Mick

• Like 2

I discovered them in my early twenties the same time as Springsteen, a year before Rush and Fleetwood Mac. Those were GOLDEN years.

Then this forum came along and musically I've never been the same!

• Like 3

I discovered them in my early twenties the same time as Springsteen, a year before Rush and Fleetwood Mac. Those were GOLDEN years.

Then this forum came along and musically I've never been the same!

i remember joining in 2012. i'd been a fan of Rush since i was a kid. but weirdly i don't think i've ever loved them as much as i loved them from 2012-2014

that was my golden Rush Period. and i have not loved them that way since.

sometimes the stars just align

Mick

No you misunderstood me. I’ve been exposed to The Beatles since birth, and first heard the red greatest hits album when I was probably 11 or 12. I then got Abbey Road as my first Beatles album when I was about 13 or 14. For whatever reason I didn’t make a priority of listening to another Beatles album till I was about 17 (really might have been 16). I was probably to consumed with Queen and Rush and Muse up to that point. I knew what the albums were. I knew which hits were on them. I just hadn’t checked them out or bought them yet. That’s the thing about me, I rarely listen to famous albums I haven’t heard before on Spotify or Apple Music or YouTube. I generally just wait to find a good deal on them when I’m out music shopping. I know it may seem crazy not to just listen to all the great stuff as soon as possible, but I enjoy the hunt and the journey of taking things in one at a time.

• Like 1

somewhat educated guess....

Marillion -- Misplaced Childhood

Geddy Lee -- My Favorite Headache

Rush -- Vapor Trails

Emerson Lake And Palmer -- Welcome Back My Friends To The Show That Never Ends, Ladies And Gentleman...Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

Queensryche -- Promised Land

• Like 1

AAAAH... I don't know. Wild guess:

1. Speaking in Tongues- Talking Heads

2. Permanent Waves- Rush

3. Hemispheres- Rush

4. Automatic for the People- R.E.M

5. Thunder 7- Triumph

That is right now though...

Some other contenders are:

We Like it Here- Snarky Puppy

Valotte- Julian Lennon