Post unpopular music opinions

Entre_Perpetuo

Morrison was a great poet, a great melody writer, and a legendary frontman. The band fizzled without him, despite their own incredible talent, they needed his creative spark.

That said, overweight, immature, and substance abuser all seem like fair criticisms to me. Well, idk for sure about overweight, lol

That one puzzles me haha he was always skinny

Maybe towards the end he got fat. To die at 27 from heart failure means he probably wasn't taking care of himself.

From what I heard the coroner never gave a cause of death. Something about French law at the time that allowed them to just pronounce him dead and move on.

I had to look it up and the reason given is heart failure. Which is technically the reason everyone dies. French law did not require an autopsy to be done. But for someone so young with a known substance abuse problem there's a very good chance that caused it.

I'm not a fan so I never knew there was no autopsy or official cause of death for him until looking it up today. Because of his reputation I always thought he overdosed on something.

Morrison was a great poet, a great melody writer, and a legendary frontman. The band fizzled without him, despite their own incredible talent, they needed his creative spark.

That said, overweight, immature, and substance abuser all seem like fair criticisms to me. Well, idk for sure about overweight, lol

Maybe towards the end he got fat. To die at 27 from heart failure means he probably wasn't taking care of himself.

From what I heard the coroner never gave a cause of death. Something about French law at the time that allowed them to just pronounce him dead and move on.

I had to look it up and the reason given is heart failure. Which is technically the reason everyone dies. French law did not require an autopsy to be done. But for someone so young with a known substance abuse problem there's a very good chance that caused it.

I'm not a fan so I never knew there was no autopsy or official cause of death for him until looking it up today. Because of his reputation I always thought he overdosed on something.

I always thought that too until I watched a doc that claimed he got completely clean when he went to Paris, making it even stranger that he died there.

I always thought that too until I watched a doc that claimed he got completely clean when he went to Paris, making it even stranger that he died there.

Just because somebody gets clean doesn't mean that the years of substance abuse didn't take a toll and it's only a matter of time before something happens. He could have had an undiagnosed heart issue that got him as well.

• Like 1

Just because somebody gets clean doesn't mean that the years of substance abuse didn't take a toll and it's only a matter of time before something happens. He could have had an undiagnosed heart issue that got him as well.

Very true.

The doors are a one album band for me.

the Debut.

everything else is too blown out and pretentious for my blood.

and i love MEAT LOAF and QUEEN, lol

Mick

It's a great debut.

• Like 1

The doors are a one album band for me.

the Debut.

everything else is too blown out and pretentious for my blood.

and i love MEAT LOAF and QUEEN, lol

Mick

It's a great debut.

It REALLY is. if i have one Doors album. it's a heck of an album to have.

Mick

• Like 1

I've never had the urge to listen to any album from The Doors before. The same can be said for a ton of highly praised classic rock bands like Yes, Kansas, Styx, Supertramp and Steely Dan. I know the big singles, I think those are fine songs but don't ever feel I need to dive deeper than that.
  • Like 1

The Doors are amazing!!!!!!

I guess it's fine Mick. You are my buddy but. f**k off

I've never had the urge to listen to any album from The Doors before. The same can be said for a ton of highly praised classic rock bands like Yes, Kansas, Styx, Supertramp and Steely Dan. I know the big singles, I think those are fine songs but don't ever feel I need to dive deeper than that.

You're missing out if you don't at least try Leftoverture and Point of No Return. The peaks are high, but the valleys are very shallow; they're better than any Rush album since at least p/g.

• Like 1

You're missing out if you don't at least try Leftoverture and Point of No Return. The peaks are high, but the valleys are very shallow; they're better than any Rush album since at least p/g.

Poser. I’m pretty sure those albums have songs played on the RADIO!

But why bother if there's never been an interest from me in exploring them? I've made it 40 years without ever hearing it and I have plenty of other great music I like and listen to. I think I'll be ok.

I actually think the debut Kansas album is the best place to start. Before the big bucks came calling...
  • Like 1

I dunno, I think one of the cool things about music is hearing it

True.

But I already know what's going to happen. I'll give it a listen and if I like it I'll say yeah that was cool and then completely forget about it and never bother with it again. That always happens with me whenever I give some old band everyone says I need to hear a try. It's not like I'm going to become this huge Kansas fan all of sudden after all these years of not caring.

As I said, I've got plenty of great music both old and new to enjoy already. I don't need to keep piling on. I'm more interested in what's out there today than I am about some old stuff that I was never a fan of in the first place.

Two For the Show is basically all of the Kansas Ill ever need.

Jim Morrison was an overweight, immature substance abuser that squeezed out a few decent songs and was very lucky to have Robby Krieger, John Densmore and Ray Manzarek to write for him or co write with him. :outtahere: :outtahere: I know many will disagree! :o

I love the band and wished that were totally true but...their two albums without him suck

I'm willing to give him a few props but I can't get with the total hero worship of some fans. But yeah, they had trouble focusing without him.

I totally agree with you. And still I like some of their music.

• Like 1

Jim Morrison was an overweight, immature substance abuser that squeezed out a few decent songs and was very lucky to have Robby Krieger, John Densmore and Ray Manzarek to write for him or co write with him. :outtahere: :outtahere: I know many will disagree! :o

I love the band and wished that were totally true but...their two albums without him suck

I'm willing to give him a few props but I can't get with the total hero worship of some fans. But yeah, they had trouble focusing without him.

I totally agree with you. And still I like some of their music.

I think it safe to say we three have the right perspective on him.

I try and avoid hero worship. I can admire the musician and the music, but the person behind it all...is...just...a...person...

It really makes me roll my eyes when people revere Bowie or Mercury like they were gods. They were people. Just people.

All my "heroes" are just people. I follow them perhaps on social media, but for the most part they are all very dull. I think the hero worship of old stars and down to the fact the media was different and their was a greater sense of mystery.

Today? Not so much.

• Like 2

You have to be a bloated burnout like Jim Morrison to think his lyrics are any good.

"the west... Is the best...

"the snake... In the lake"

Can confirm I'm stick thin and in no danger of burning out, yet I still admire his lyrics.

• Like 1