Neil will certainly return..

GeminiRising79

Cocaine and 45 year old Scotch is expensive.

C'mon you don't need to insult neil's habits like that

He prefers Macallan, not some uber aged Scotch

If Peart was on coke, wouldn't he be a much better author?

He'd probably be able to get on with the damn stories in a more timely manner.

Edited by That One Guy

Jesus Jumpin' German Christ (I learned that one from Ron James!) the guy is 66 years old. Most people retire at that age. He played his ass off for 40 years. He went through hell for about five years and came back. He now has a family, including a very young daughter... and other interests besides music. I'm a HUGE Neil fan, but I hope I never hear from the guy again.

Leave the goddam man alone.

I'm fine with that. Replace the miserable bastard with someone with actual talent, and carry on as Rush.

I agree. Except for the "miserable bastard" part.

I don't think they'll tour or even record again, but IF NP comes out of retirement it would be cool if they toured in places they've never been before, even if it means doing small venues. An Australian tour would be unique

I don't think they'll tour or even record again, but IF NP comes out of retirement it would be cool if they toured in places they've never been before, even if it means doing small venues. An Australian tour would be unique

I have no real info but it wouldn't surprise me if RUSH did a residency in Las Vegas for a few months.

Vegas is very close to Santa Monica.

The boys can leave their equipment[ set up and bolt instantly.

Low cost overhead big payout.

Believe me.

I know this.

I would imagine two or three new songs to go along with the Vegas Residency.

I'll back in Toronto end of April.

I'm on this.

• Like 2

I was always optimistic that they were just retired from touring, and would pop up and play here or there for one-offs, but it’s pretty obvious that was wishful thinking. Neil hasn’t even posted a single time on his own website in nearly 3 years. You’d think he’d still be interested in blogging since it can be done at home in spare time, and doesn’t require super-human feats of endurance like his performance in concert does, but his complete silence says it all. He is really retired. His bodyguard occasionally posts a shot of him in his natural habitat or on vacation, but he posts nothing whatsoever himself anymore. If he plans on putting out more books, he’s been very quiet about it. The CA thing seems to have petered out with the comic book—sort of silly/redundant idea after they already put out a hardcover graphic novel, and two regular novels. There’s no mention of him doing anything special for the touring compendium coming out soon—Stewart Copeland did an afterword, though, and from his social media does not at all seem retired yet.

FWIW, though, if he gets enough rest and takes good care of himself, he may be in better shape to play a reunion show someday without hurting himself, and if he’s not touring and beating himself silly riding his beemer through every dirt road he can get to, I imagine he’d have much less wear and tear on his body playing a few occasional concerts in one spot once in blue moon. But it would be a longshot—he doesn’t like compromise when it comes to this stuff, and I doubt he could do a show without first practicing for a couple of months to get in shape, etc. Makes sense for a big tour, but not a one off, and there’s more pressure when you aren’t playing a ton of dates—you only get one shot at having a great show. It remains to be seen if there will ever come a time when Neil figures out how he can enjoy coming out of retirement whether it be for one show, or a few, or to release another book or whatever.

• Like 2

I don’t know where he is on the spectrum of scotch drinkers or drug users currently. A reliable source told me essentially that he and his first wife were avid bong-hitters and otherwise not very much of anything else as of the early 90s (but that’s 25 years ago). This was from another musician who was personally friendly with them/was a guest at their home a few times. But everyone knows he likes the Macallan, because he writes about it. We just don’t know if it’s a lot of it or just one or two cocktails a day, which is not nothing, but far from drinking up a storm. I never heard tell of a coke habit, but that doesn’t mean it’s impossible. Anyway, last time I saw a snapshot of him on social media, he looked as healthy or healthier than you’d expect for a guy closing in on age 70–staying active, not blowing up in weight or wasting away. Just being a guy with other guys he knows. If he’s abusing himself like a fiend, he’s not showing it very quickly—coke and that really hard-partying will age people prematurely and saddle people with all kinds of gout, heart failure, strokes, bleeding, ulcers, caved in nasal septums, liver disease, pancreatic failures, etc. Edited by HalfwayToGone
  • Like 2

If a man his age is still doing coke and drinking up a storm, expect to weep for his passing soon.

Is he like that? Or was he in the past? He does seem to have an alcoholic's nose. I had no idea he was anything more than a pot head like all of Rush was in the seventies (at least). But I've been surprised before. It sure was a surprise when John Entwistle died of a cocaine-induced heart attack at the age of 57 in 2002.

• Like 1

Actually, as soon as Entwhistle died, I was hearing “Oh it must have been all that coke he was doing” from people who were avid Who fans before it was ever mentioned on the news. The “alcoholic nose” is certainly one possible explanatiion but so is Rosacea. Usually with those late signs of chronic alcohol abuse you expect more than just one visible sign, but that doesn’t prove anything. I certainly hope he’s not overdoing it, but some people have real issues with retirement, so it certainly is a possibility. He comes off as a bit too involved with his child to be sucking down scotch all day, but that doesn’t stop everybody, so you never know.

100% agree with you on that. I got hammered here on another thread last week for daring to suggest that Neil haters were reading too much into an incident with Stewart Copeland that was pitched as proof that Neil is a dick. I said, maybe he didn’t see him and no one told him that he was waiting to see him, and I was pretty sure based on actual things they say about each other that Neil is a big fan and would have been psyched to meet him. You’d think I said something bad about the Neil-haters’ mothers.

If a man his age is still doing coke and drinking up a storm, expect to weep for his passing soon.

Is he like that? Or was he in the past? He does seem to have an alcoholic's nose. I had no idea he was anything more than a pot head like all of Rush was in the seventies (at least). But I've been surprised before. It sure was a surprise when John Entwistle died of a cocaine-induced heart attack at the age of 57 in 2002.

Forgot where I originally read about it - it was years ago. Whether he still is, I do not know. My post was a comment on the others who were suggesting he still is like that.

Yeah that sounds about right. I had a less awkward but not entirely different encounter with him at the same afterparty when I met Alex and Geddy. He was quite protected in a round booth, and while I was waiting for someone to finish getting a snapshot with Geddy, he shuffled out of the booth and walked right past me, and ducked into an elevator. All I could muster was “no way, he’s gonna leave” to myself and my buddy next to me as he got in and the door shut. I made no attempt to approach or delay him or anything, because I already knew by then that he was uncomfortable with fans freaking out over him. What I failed to notice (according to my buddy—I was so focused on Geddy I completely missed this) is that he supposedly returned after a few minutes and shuffled back to his spot in the booth with his friends. It’s probably for the best, though—I totally would have walked over and intruded on his group if I saw he was back. This was on the Counterparts tour, over 20 years ago.

Forgot where I originally read about it - it was years ago. Whether he still is, I do not know. My post was a comment on the others who were suggesting he still is like that.

I thought all this 'coke' nonsense started from a vague reference in Ghost Rider...(never read the book...so maybe I'm off base :huh: )

Thanks Earl, I am kinda new round here and I realised that you had some kind of Peart rudeness..which is what it is.. If any stranger acted like he does it would be considered rude.. At least he didn't lower himself to smile at you..I mean really.. That's all he would need to do. A simple smile.

I have no real info but it wouldn't surprise me if RUSH did a residency in Las Vegas for a few months.

Vegas is very close to Santa Monica.

The boys can leave their equipment[ set up and bolt instantly.

Low cost overhead big payout.

Believe me.

I know this.

I would imagine two or three new songs to go along with the Vegas Residency.

I'll back in Toronto end of April.

I'm on this.

Yeah I've been thinking about this, Rush should do a residency somewhere. And it doesn't necessarily have to be LV. Look at how a residency in NYC worked out for Billy Joel. Brought his career back from oblivion.