The Official Post Rock Thread

Nate2112

Post-rock (especially instrumental post rock) is a touchy genre for me. At its best, it taps into an emotional state I don't get with other genres. At its worse though, it makes me think at times in a post-Mono/Godspeed You! Black Emperor world that the genre (at least instrumental post-rock) is down for the count and has little left to say for itself or at least, makes me wish I'd come across a newer band that puts a new spin on it if not original.

Fortunately though, there's one band that gets lumped in the genre I think is really awesome that doesn't get thrown around as often and (rightfully so) deserves recognition and that's Caspian.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2oLPvtChRw

I tend to gravitate towards the post rock bands that have a hard or driving edge to their sound. Russian Circles is another band of that ilk I love as well. I've heard a few God Is An Astronaut songs that I thought were pretty good but haven't explored more since, and I really liked the first two This Will Destroy You releases. I've heard of Toundra by name, but not yet listened to them but I think I will now. A lot of these bands I mentioned are instrumental, but I like Sigur Ròs too.

Edited by PolarizeMe
  • Like 1

The only post rock band that I'm familiar with is Oceansize. I don't think they're still together.

Here's their tribute to Black Sabbath - I B O W

The only post rock band that I'm familiar with is Oceansize. I don't think they're still together.

Here's their tribute to Black Sabbath - I B O W

http://youtu.be/2O8eHT71OI4

They're not. A really bad performance in Warsaw that was caused by a band member being under the influence of drugs led to their breakup.
  • Like 1

Nice flow chart Nate.

I know of one band on it. Don't think they're anything special.

Is the label endearing? "Post" isn't usually something I associate with innovation, although I suspect the intent is to be just that.

Fwiw, here's the wiki on post rock for more info:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-rock

Edited by stoopid

Post Rock is fine but I prefer Post Post Rock, which I find to be next level stuff, though there are some Post Rock influences, to be sure.

As much as I enjoy post-rock (Mogwai, Explosions in the Sky, Sigur Ros, etc.), I can't help but feel it can be perceived as the most repetitive genre in the rock music spectrum. There's a reason why many people call it crescendo-core.