What do you consider "dad rock?" if anything?

fraroc

Someone that I know who believes in the whole "rock is dead" business had told me that the reason why rock and metal is dying is because of the whole "dad rock" stigma. The principle was that kids think it's generally "uncool" to like music that your parents listen to, which is why bands like the Eagles, Creedence Clearwater Revival, and even Zeppelin took a big hit in the 1990s in terms of popularity...and he told me that nowadays, classic 80s metal bands like Iron Maiden and Metallica along with hair metal and various other forms of hard rock in the 80s are now falling victim to the "dad rock" stigma which is (according to this person I'm talking about) the harbinger for the death of rock and metal.

Now before you all get your panties in a bunch, I think what that guy said was a bunch of horseshit and I don't believe one word of it. When I saw Iron Maiden a week ago for the Book Of Souls tour, there were tons of young kids, teenagers, and college kids in the audience and it wasn't like these kids were being dragged there by their parents, they were REALLY into it. They knew all the lyrics to most of the songs, even the new ones off of the latest album!

I think "dad rock" is a loaded term used to not only disparage older bands, but to insult younger fans of older bands, in the sense of "ugh, you like Metallica? That's lame-ass dad rock."

Anyway, I'd like to get your thoughts on this matter.

It appears to me if "kids" are listening to rock it's mostly the older bands.

I think the problem is "kids" are listening to auto-tune pop music.

• Like 2

I think there is such a thing as "dad rock", but I don't think of metal bands or good hard rock bands when I think of it. Metal or hard rock is edgy enough or has enough truthful soul/rebellion that I think it will always have a place- think "Subdivisions", "My Generations". (don't know if those are the best examples, I have kind of a headache! :P

When I think Dad rock I think Jimmy Buffett. I don't mind the guy but if I were a kid all those middle age parrot heads would scare me !!

• Like 1

It appears to me if "kids" are listening to rock it's mostly the older bands.

I think the problem is "kids" are listening to auto-tune pop music.

My daughter is 17 and listens to diverse stuff from alternative to pop, to classic rock. It all depends on how they get raised. My daughter was raised listening to stuff I do. She loves some of it, and rejects some.

• Like 2

and your "friend" is you right Fraroc? :laughing guy:

Mick

You crack me up !!!!

• Like 1

http://www.regrettablemusic.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/The-Mom-Dads.jpeg

I just saw them live and they played this album in its entirety.

They rock!!!!

It's amazing that they managed to narrow it down to only 20 Waltzes. There's so many great ones to choose from :haz:
  • Like 4

They rock!!!!

It's amazing that they managed to narrow it down to only 20 Waltzes. There's so many great ones to choose from :haz:

they could have easily made that album at LEAST an 8 disc set.

:haz: :haz: :haz:

Mick

• Like 3

They rock!!!!

Gentlemen, I do agree. Hard to stay seated when they begin to rip. :dweez:

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2