Smart Phones Are ...

Lorraine

A necessary evil.

I'm not agreeing with you at this time. We can still renounce them without destroying civilization.

Perhaps in the future, when the problem is much worse...... :o

...a luxury item.

Even the poor have them. That always amazes me.

My neighbor told me his phone cost him $200 a month. How do the poor afford their phones?

You can buy a cell phone in Myanmar for about 30 cents. No joke.

Or was it $3?

Anyway, damn cheap by western standards.

Measured in U.S. dollars, a gallon of gasoline in Venezuela costs 3 cents.

Yeah, so it's likely 30 cents as I originally thought.

Somewhat straying from the topic for a sec...the level of poverty and the concept of it itself are very different in certain countries when compared to the USA. Still, many people manage to have a cell. So, the thought of almost everyone in North America (even the poor) having a cell doesn't surprise me.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

...a luxury item.

My neighbor told me his phone cost him $200 a month. How do the poor afford their phones?

You can buy a cell phone in Myanmar for about 30 cents. No joke.

Or was it $3?

Anyway, damn cheap by western standards.

Measured in U.S. dollars, a gallon of gasoline in Venezuela costs 3 cents.

Yeah, so it's likely 30 cents as I originally thought.

Somewhat straying from the topic for a sec...the level of poverty and the concept of it itself are very different in certain countries when compared to the USA. Still, many people manage to have a cell. So, the thought of almost everyone in North America (even the poor) having a cell doesn't surprise me.

If it's any kind of a status symbol, people will find a way to get one. Cars, clothes, gym shoes, HDTV, cell phones, you name it. People will sacrifice almost anything to have one, because they want to be "cool", too.

When Marty McFly finally arrived in the year 2035 no one noticed because all were looking down...

But the second some reality TV skank bimbo walked by, everybody looked up and wanted to take a picture..... :huh:

I don't nor have i ever even owned a cell phone of any type.

Mick

They don't work where I live. Havent had one for years. Drives co-workers batshiite crazy.

Very extreme examples to instill fear. I love how they criticize Facebook for manipulating people but that's exactly what the video tries to do. People just need to be smart and none of these devices are a problem. It's not hard to not text and drive. Want to entertain your child at dinner and interact with them? Bring the iPad, play agame with them. You'll talk and laugh and have fun, I promise you. Everything that's ever been invented has been taken too far by some people so there's really nothing new here.

Don't have a Smart Phone...don't want one.

I've only had an ordinary, cheap mobile phone for the last 3 or 4 years...in that time I've only needed to top up the credit once!...which shows how much I use it.

It's main function seems to be to inform me of re-arranged band rehearsals or canceled gigs

• Like 2

Want to entertain your child at dinner and interact with them? Bring the iPad, play agame with them. You'll talk and laugh and have fun, I promise you.

You and your children can easily enjoy your family dinner without any iPads, iPhones, or any other tech toy. You'll talk and laugh and have fun, I promise you.

...a luxury item.

Mine cost $10 (yes it's a Samsung smartphone...just a smaller, less popular version) and my Straighttalk service is $45 a month. I'm certain you can get service cheaper than that. I have data if I need it, but I actually turn mine off nearly all the time to save battery life. So in reality it's nothing more than talk and text.

If your neighbor is paying $200 a month he's either got a really bad plan or going way over his data allocations.

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 1

...a luxury item.

Mine cost $10 (yes it's a Samsung smartphone...just a smaller, less popular version) and my Straighttalk service is $45 a month. I'm certain you can get service cheaper than that. I have data if I need it, but I actually turn mine off nearly all the time to save battery life. So in reality it's nothing more than talk and text.

If your neighbor is paying $200 a month he's either got a really bad plan or going way over his data allocations.

He is over his data allocations. I know nothing about that stuff (other than Germany restricts all of its citizens to 1.5 gigabytes...whatever that is....) but he did mention to me that he had to lower it in order to lessen his monthly bill.

Want to entertain your child at dinner and interact with them? Bring the iPad, play agame with them. You'll talk and laugh and have fun, I promise you.

You and your children can easily enjoy your family dinner without any iPads, iPhones, or any other tech toy. You'll talk and laugh and have fun, I promise you.

I think he's joking because in the video they mention parents giving their infants and toddlers iPads. Believe it or not, parents actually do that.

It's a bizarre world we now live in.

...a luxury item.

Up until four months ago I was still using a flip phone. The same phone for over ten years, and it still works perfectly. Saved a lot of money over the years not having expensive smart phones and data plans. But it was time to join the masses and I got an unlocked Moto G4. Bought it outright from an electronics store for $240 -- I didn't want a monthly payment and I didn't need the bells and whistles of an expensive Samsung Galaxy or iPhone. I pay $60 per month for talk, text, and 2GB of data that I barely use. I use the navigation a lot, and the text and camera far exceed the capabilities of my old flip phone, but otherwise I use my smart phone as a phone.

• Like 1