Rolling Stone ranked our dear Lifeson incredibly low?

Texas King

I actually had a debate with a guitarist friend about The Edge a couple of days ago.He could not see anything great about his playing saying he is just three chords and effects.True,but i argued he is inventive and influential with that style.Then he dropped the bombshell that he wasn't as fast as Van Halen and he can't play the blues like Clapton.Of course he can't,i replied,he is best at what he does in his own style.But then he admits he doesn't like U2.Ahhhh.......He likes Hetfield,he's got a fast right hand,doesn't rate Johnny Ramone ,he had a fast right hand,doesn't like the Ramones.As a guitar teacher i tell my students to listen to all types of guitarists and music.Sure Nuno Bettencourt may have better chops than the Edge,but has he made more of statement than him(and i am not dissing Nuno in any way,great guitarist).I get asked all the time who is the greatest guitarist?Can't answer that,maybe Lifeson today,Hendrix tomorrow,Page,Yngwie,Chet Atkins,Holdsworth,Segovia,Al di Meola,Johnny Ramone,Muddy Waters,etc.Any way Rolling Stone is waste of paper or in keeping with todays technology a waste of digital data.
  • Like 3

As a guitarist IMO the most ridiculous thing is not that Alex was placed so low, it's that Ritchie Blackmore was not in the TOP 10.

Maybe Alex being so much of a 'chameleon' over the years, with a style that has borrowed so heavily from other guitarists, means he get overlooked in these (pissing contests) I mean Rolling Stones rankings.

• Like 1

As a guitarist IMO the most ridiculous thing is not that Alex was placed so low, it's that Ritchie Blackmore was not in the TOP 10.

Maybe Alex being so much of a 'chameleon' over the years, with a style that has borrowed so heavily from other guitarists, means he get overlooked in these (pissing contests) I mean Rolling Stones rankings.

That's exactly it, I think.

I actually had a debate with a guitarist friend about The Edge a couple of days ago.He could not see anything great about his playing saying he is just three chords and effects.True,but i argued he is inventive and influential with that style.Then he dropped the bombshell that he wasn't as fast as Van Halen and he can't play the blues like Clapton.Of course he can't,i replied,he is best at what he does in his own style.But then he admits he doesn't like U2.Ahhhh.......He likes Hetfield,he's got a fast right hand,doesn't rate Johnny Ramone ,he had a fast right hand,doesn't like the Ramones.As a guitar teacher i tell my students to listen to all types of guitarists and music.Sure Nuno Bettencourt may have better chops than the Edge,but has he made more of statement than him(and i am not dissing Nuno in any way,great guitarist).I get asked all the time who is the greatest guitarist?Can't answer that,maybe Lifeson today,Hendrix tomorrow,Page,Yngwie,Chet Atkins,Holdsworth,Segovia,Al di Meola,Johnny Ramone,Muddy Waters,etc.Any way Rolling Stone is waste of paper or in keeping with todays technology a waste of digital data.

In some strange way I've always looked at Alex like Neil Schon. They do everything well, and it's like they can create songs within the songs with their complimentary playing (I don't even know if that makes sense). Is there anything distinctive about Alex's tone? It's changed so much over the years and he's gone through distinct phases. However it's always been about the music, not individuality with Rush. That's what makes the band special IMO. Edited by Tombstone Mountain
  • Like 4

If Lifeson had been rated in the top 20 this would have been a great list on this board.

For the vast majority of people "greatest guitarist" begins and ends on whether the guitarist either plays in a band they like or plays in a band they dislike. Some guitarists get a pass as they play for bands that it is cool to follow, some because they have mythical status and play in bands so bland that it is difficult for anyone to actively loathe them and others that are fabulously technically talented but play in bands and create music that is very niche in appeal but is uncool to criticise.

These kind of lists are flawed by subjectivity and peer pressure. They pretend to entertain, and provoke debate but are ultimately clickbait and should be treated as thus.

• Like 4

In some strange way I've always looked at Alex like Neil Schon. They do everything well, and it's like they can create songs within the songs with their complimentary playing (I don't even know if that makes sense). Is there anything distinctive about Alex's tone? It's changed so much over the years and he's gone through distinct phases. However it's always been about the music, not individuality with Rush. That's what makes the band special IMO.

Don't know about that. I genuinely believe that (forgetting his lyrics design the music in a way) Neil Peart's drumming contributes massively, maybe even crucially, to Rush's album sales. As such he is the dominant individual in the group dynamic and why without him the band is weakened as a financial entity and why they are dead in the water without him. Even if he sent them lyrics the band would not be the band without him.

• Like 3

don't care about Rolling Stones favorites, I rank them at the end of my top magazine anyway and I am not sure that they have been a music magazine...

In some strange way I've always looked at Alex like Neil Schon. They do everything well, and it's like they can create songs within the songs with their complimentary playing (I don't even know if that makes sense). Is there anything distinctive about Alex's tone? It's changed so much over the years and he's gone through distinct phases. However it's always been about the music, not individuality with Rush. That's what makes the band special IMO.

Don't know about that. I genuinely believe that (forgetting his lyrics design the music in a way) Neil Peart's drumming contributes massively, maybe even crucially, to Rush's album sales. As such he is the dominant individual in the group dynamic and why without him the band is weakened as a financial entity and why they are dead in the water without him. Even if he sent them lyrics the band would not be the band without him.

Yeah Neil's a decent drummer. He's helped Rush over the years. A little bit here, a little there. Let's be clear though: he's no Buddy Rich Edited by Tombstone Mountain

Yeah Neil's a decent drummer. He's helped Rush over the years. A little bit here, a little there. Let's be clear though: he's no Buddy Rich

That's a bit Rich, buddy.

• Like 3

I think this list of 100 greatest guitarists is one of the most ridiculous lists I ever saw...Lifeson is placed on the 98th position. Guys who can't hold a candle to him as The Edge, Kurt Cobain, James Hetfield, Joe Perry, Jonny Greenwood(from Radiohead) and Johnny Ramone are all ranked above him. Keith Richards being on the 4th position, while Blackmore on 50th is unbelievable. List totally sucks ass.

This list total garbage. Close this thread.

As pointed out above Alex's style and choice of equipment changed over the years as did their music,so he was hard to caterogise.Rolling Stone never liked Rush so for him to get 98 spot was amazing.

As pointed out above Alex's style and choice of equipment changed over the years as did their music,so he was hard to caterogise.Rolling Stone never liked Rush so for him to get 98 spot was amazing.

A rather nice nod, actually.

Thing is...so...who voted for such a list?:

THE VOTERS: Trey Anastasio, Dan Auerbach (The Black Keys), Brian Bell (Weezer), Ritchie Blackmore (Deep Purple), Carl Broemel (My Morning Jacket), James Burton, Jerry Cantrell (Alice in Chains), Gary Clark Jr., Billy Corgan, Steve Cropper, Dave Davies (The Kinks), Anthony DeCurtis (Contributing editor, Rolling Stone), Tom DeLonge (Blink-182), Rick Derringer, Luther Dickinson (North Mississippi Allstars), Elliot Easton (The Cars), Melissa Etheridge, Don Felder (The Eagles), David Fricke (Senior writer, Rolling Stone), Peter Guralnick (Author), Kirk Hammett (Metallica), Albert Hammond Jr. (The Strokes), Warren Haynes (The Allman Brothers Band), Brian Hiatt (Senior writer, Rolling Stone), David Hidalgo (Los Lobos), Jim James (My Morning Jacket), Lenny Kravitz, Robby Krieger (The Doors), Jon Landau (Manager), Alex Lifeson (Rush), Nils Lofgren (The E Street Band), Mick Mars (Mötley Crüe), Doug Martsch (Built to Spill), J Mascis (Dinosaur Jr.), Brian May, Mike McCready (Pearl Jam), Roger McGuinn (The Byrds), Scotty Moore, Thurston Moore (Sonic Youth), Tom Morello, Dave Mustaine (Megadeth), Brendan O’Brien (Producer), Joe Perry, Vernon Reid (Living Colour), Robbie Robertson, Rich Robinson (The Black Crowes), Carlos Santana, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Marnie Stern, Stephen Stills, Andy Summers, Mick Taylor, Susan Tedeschi, Vieux Farka Touré, Derek Trucks, Eddie Van Halen, Joe Walsh, Nancy Wilson (Heart)

Oh.

:outtahere:

THE VOTERS: Trey Anastasio, Dan Auerbach (The Black Keys), Brian Bell (Weezer), Ritchie Blackmore (Deep Purple), Carl Broemel (My Morning Jacket), James Burton, Jerry Cantrell (Alice in Chains), Gary Clark Jr., Billy Corgan, Steve Cropper, Dave Davies (The Kinks), Anthony DeCurtis (Contributing editor, Rolling Stone), Tom DeLonge (Blink-182), Rick Derringer, Luther Dickinson (North Mississippi Allstars), Elliot Easton (The Cars), Melissa Etheridge, Don Felder (The Eagles), David Fricke (Senior writer, Rolling Stone), Peter Guralnick (Author), Kirk Hammett (Metallica), Albert Hammond Jr. (The Strokes), Warren Haynes (The Allman Brothers Band), Brian Hiatt (Senior writer, Rolling Stone), David Hidalgo (Los Lobos), Jim James (My Morning Jacket), Lenny Kravitz, Robby Krieger (The Doors), Jon Landau (Manager), Alex Lifeson (Rush), Nils Lofgren (The E Street Band), Mick Mars (Mötley Crüe), Doug Martsch (Built to Spill), J Mascis (Dinosaur Jr.), Brian May, Mike McCready (Pearl Jam), Roger McGuinn (The Byrds), Scotty Moore, Thurston Moore (Sonic Youth), Tom Morello, Dave Mustaine (Megadeth), Brendan O’Brien (Producer), Joe Perry, Vernon Reid (Living Colour), Robbie Robertson, Rich Robinson (The Black Crowes), Carlos Santana, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Marnie Stern, Stephen Stills, Andy Summers, Mick Taylor, Susan Tedeschi, Vieux Farka Touré, Derek Trucks, Eddie Van Halen, Joe Walsh, Nancy Wilson (Heart)

Oh.

What do THEY know?!?
  • Like 1

Also Rolling Stone's list of Top 100 albums of the 80's is atrocious. Albums Moving Pictures and Number of the Beast didn't make that list.

http://www.rollingst...up-dog-20110330

So it's definitely true that RS doesn't like or doesn't care for Rush.

I'm very surprised Thriller was not at #1.

Oh.

What do THEY know?!?

Surprising to see Lifeson as one of the voters. Lifeson's vote for Lifeson probably allowed for Lifeson to just squeak into the top 100! :P

• Like 1

I think this list of 100 greatest guitarists is one of the most ridiculous lists I ever saw. It's a way worse than their current list of greatest metal albums.

Lifeson is placed on the 98th position. Guys who can't hold a candle to him as The Edge, Kurt Cobain, James Hetfield, Joe Perry, Jonny Greenwood(from Radiohead) and Johnny Ramone are all ranked above him. Keith Richards being on the 4th position, while Blackmore on 50th is unbelievable. List totally sucks ass.

http://www.rollingst...rists-20111123

It's a popularity contest rather than a true measurement of talent.
  • Like 1

I think this list of 100 greatest guitarists is one of the most ridiculous lists I ever saw. It's a way worse than their current list of greatest metal albums.

Lifeson is placed on the 98th position. Guys who can't hold a candle to him as The Edge, Kurt Cobain, James Hetfield, Joe Perry, Jonny Greenwood(from Radiohead) and Johnny Ramone are all ranked above him. Keith Richards being on the 4th position, while Blackmore on 50th is unbelievable. List totally sucks ass.

Not really. The voters were all prominent musicians. :)

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/103465-rolling-stone-ranked-our-dear-lifeson-incredibly-low/page__st__20#entry4362974

Alex just isn't considered one of the top influential ("great") guitarists.

Edited by goose

http://www.therushfo...20#entry4362974

What the hell do they know? They were probably stoned when they voted. :rage:

http://www.therushfo...20#entry4362974

What the hell do they know? They were probably stoned when they voted. :rage:

You make it sound as if being stoned then was bad. If they were stoned they would've voted for Caress of Steel

Any list that puts Paul Simon next to Dimebag Darrell at the bottom of the list has no credibility. That's as far as I got before leaving the list.

Period.