Gene Simmons claims devil's horns gesture as his own, seeks to register it as a trade mark it!

treeduck

https://tsdr.uspto.g...pe=statusSearch

https://tsdr.uspto.g...cIndex=0&page=1

http://www.hollywood...gesture-1013378

http://cdn5.thr.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/scale_crop_768_433/2014/02/gene_simmon_michael_des_barres_l.jpg

According to The Hollywood Reporter, KISS frontman Gene Simmons filed an application Friday for a trademark on the so-called "devil's horns" hand gesture.

Simmons claims in the filing that the hand gesture was first used in commerce November 14, 1974 — a date that appears to correspond with KISS's "Hotter Than Hell" tour.

Gene is attempting to secure the mark for "entertainment, namely, live performances by a musical artist; personal appearances by a musical artist."

Back in 2004, Steve Appleford of LA CityBEAT conducted a "survey" of heavy metal musicians regarding the origins of the "devil's horns" hand sign — the horned hand, with index finger and pinkie raised proudly as the sign of the beast, which is being used as the "international greeting to heavy metal ecstasy."

"Gene Simmons wrote in his 2002 autobiography that it was his accidental invention, the inadvertent gesture of a great man, repeated at concerts and picked up by fans," Appleford said. "Not likely. Former BLACK SABBATH shouter Ronnie James Dio also takes the credit, first raising the horns before joining the band in 1978. And he's expressed alarm over the image of Britney Spears fans raising the sign at concerts by the dancing diva of lip-synched pop."

When Appleford asked Lemmy about the source of the "devil's horns" hand sign, noting the casual claims of Gene Simmons, Lemmy replied, "Well, he would, wouldn't he? He is so eeevilll. Come on, gimme a f***ing break."

Lars Ulrich of METALLICA had no doubt at all: "That’s got to be Ronnie James Dio. I remember RAINBOW used to play in Denmark about every half-hour, so I used to go see it every half-hour. And Ronnie James Dio did a lot of that. Back in '75, '76, '77, it was all about RAINBOW and BLACK SABBATH and THIN LIZZY."

In a separate interview, METALLICA singer-guitarist James Hetfield answered: "I think Dio." Then he went on, with a smile: "I think Spider-Man originally. It's also 'I love you' in sign language. I don't know, I think it's 'Two more songs!' — you know."

Gene Simmons Seeks to Register Trademark on Iconic Rock Hand Gesture

Index and pinky fingers up. Thumb perpendicular. Some say it's the devil's horns. The Kiss rocker says it's his.

Courtesy of the Michael des Barres Show

Index and pinky fingers up. Thumb perpendicular. Some say it's the devil's horns. The Kiss rocker says it's his.

Thumb up or thumb down?

Kiss frontman Gene Simmons is awaiting the signal from the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office after he filed an application Friday for a trademark on a hand gesture. Rock fans are probably familiar with the sight. Here's the drawing that's included in the application:

According to Simmons, this hand gesture was first used in commerce Nov. 14, 1974. That appears to correspond with Kiss' Hotter Than Hell tour.

Speaking of hell, the hand gesture appears quite similar to what's known as the "Sign of the horns," a devil signal that, according to an entertaining entry from Wikipedia, dates back to the 5th Century BC founder of Buddhism.

Simmons is claiming the hand gesture mark for "entertainment, namely, live performances by a musical artist; personal appearances by a musical artist."

Before the Trademark Office allows this hand gesture to be registered — it perhaps wouldn't be unprecedented — an examiner would consider the likelihood of confusion and, possibly, whether it's too generic to be associated with Simmons. Here, for example, is the album cover for the Beatles' 1966 single, Yellow Submarine/Eleanor Rigby:

On the road to registration, Simmons might have other obstacles besides John Lennon. Among them could be how in certain Mediterranean cultures, the horns — or "rock on" — gesture is, in the words of The New York Post, "made to a man to imply that his wife is cheating on him." Whether or not that matters is possibly impacted by the U.S. Supreme Court's upcoming ruling in Tam v. Lee.

An even bigger question is the extent to which Simmons could enforce trademark rights even if his registration is accepted.

Former professional wrestler Diamond Dallas Page has tried. Some reported that he had sued Jay Z over the "Roc-A-Fella Hand Gesture,” alleging it was a trademark infringement of his "Diamond Cutter hand gesture," although we couldn't locate any complaint. However, we did find a lawsuit filed by Page in 2010 against the American electronic music duo, 3OH13. Here was the complaint filed in court. According to records from the Trademark Office, the case settled.

No matter what happens for Simmons, we guarantee nobody will ever be able to trademark a handshake.

Edited by treeduck
  • Like 1

This is pathetic because every real rocker or heavy metalist knows that RONNIE JAMES DIO invented this!!!!!

Didn't he give credit to his grandma, or someone like that, as the "il cornuto" sign of "the horned one"?
  • Like 1

This is pathetic because every real rocker or heavy metalist knows that RONNIE JAMES DIO invented this!!!!!

As pathetic as stephen curry taking a dump in King James locker at Quicken Loans Arena???

• Like 2

I hope this gets laughed out of court. How much more coin does Gene need?

ALL OF IT. He needs to have ALL the money on Earth. He is a supermassive black hole of narcissism.

• Like 3

Didn't he give credit to his grandma, or someone like that, as the "il cornuto" sign of "the horned one"?

I saw that in some documentary.

I always thought Ronnie was the original hornster.

• Like 1

As pathetic as stephen curry taking a dump in King James locker at Quicken Loans Arena???

LOL!

More like Davey Jones' Locker!

I don't understand what he thinks he can get out of it. What's he going to do charge people money each time they make the devil's horn sign?? Is Gene gonna be popping up all over the world demanding money from rockers left right and centre?? :LOL: Edited by treeduck
  • Like 2

I don't understand what he thinks he can get out of it. What's he going to do charge people money each time they make the devil's horn sign?? Is Gene gonna be popping all over the world demanding money from rockers left right and centre?? :LOL:

Doesn't sound too far out of character
  • Like 2

This wiki link gives credit to Ronnie, with the grandma story:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sign_of_the_horns

Plus this little cultural note, which I remember observing during my time in Mexico:

In many Mediterranean and Latin countries, such as Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, Cuba, France, Greece, Italy, Portugal, Spain, and Uruguay,[2][3][4][5] when directed towards someone and swiveled back and forth, the sign implies cuckoldry; the common words for cuckolded in Italian, Greek and Spanish are cornuto, κερaτάς (keratas) and cornudo, respectively, literally meaning "horned".[6] During a European Union meeting in February 2002, then-current Italian prime minister Silvio Berlusconi was photographed performing this gesture behind the back of the Spanish foreign minister.[7]

If a guy's girlfriend cheated on him, we'd say, "Su novia le puso cuernos", or "His girlfriend put horns on him."

Actually Dio did it differently. Dio's thumb always crosses the middle and ring finger while Gene keeps his thumb out and to the side of his hand.

http://imagesvh1-a.akamaihd.net/uri/mgid:file:http:shared:vh1.com/news/wp-content/uploads/musicblog.vh1.com/2013/05/52400-dio1.jpg?quality=0.85&format=jpg&width=480

5a0e2bf6dc9837e56e6601ebfe9c4996.jpg

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Evils%20in%20America/Rock-n-Roll/ronnie_james_dio_switzerland.jpg

http://exclaim.ca/images/gene-simmons-horns.jpg

Gene%20Simmons%20Hand%20Gesture%20Main.jpg

http://goseelivemusic.co/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Gene-Simmons-630x420.jpg

On a side note Gene looks more like Grandpa out of the munsters these days than a KISS demon...

334cff037749d28412b64fc1d3aa15c8.jpg

• Like 7

I hope this gets laughed out of court. How much more coin does Gene need?

any money that isn't Gene's should be Gene's according to Gene

Can he play the drums? I know of a job opening...

Yes, Dio said he got it from his grandma. She was a superstitious person and the hand gesture used to be done in certain parts of the world as a way for people to turn away bad things from happening to them.

Ronnie said he needed something to do with his hands on stage and that's how it started. It's a story that's been around for years so I'm inclined to believe it more.

Not sure what he's hoping to accomplish here since there is absolutely no way to keep track of every time the hand gesture is used.

• Like 2

yeah but he's dead now so he won't show up in court.
  • Like 1