Which PUNK ROCK bands you like?

Texas King

Most of mine woud come under the post-punk or art-punk label. My very favorites are:

Wire (early Wire is by degrees Punk, Art Punk, Post Punk), The Gun Club, Swell Maps, The Buzzcocks, Magazine, early PIL, and Mission of Burma.

If early Replacements, early XTC, eary Gang of Four, etc count I could name quite a few more. The line between garage/low-fi and punk can be hard to distinguish.

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1

X

No one could make square look so cool as Billy Zoom! Maybe since Buddy Holly at least.

I kind of like how Exene was married to Aragorn too.

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1

X

No one could make square look so cool as Billy Zoom! Maybe since Buddy Holly at least.

I kind of like how Exene was married to Aragorn too.

X were/are a great band. I see they are currently on tour, with Salt Lake tix at $29.

Which reminds me...how bout the movie SLC Punk?

Hang on....surely no one believes bands like Green Day, Blink 182, Sum 41 et al are actually Punk, do they?

Thats the impression I get. That is, many associate punk with a sound,and the sound only.

For me the essence of punk is in its ethos of 'do it yourself' By whatever means, however musically limited/gifted. Sleaford mods for example have no guitars, being electronic, yet Sleaford mods are the most punk thing, I have heard for a long time.

• Like 1

Hang on....surely no one believes bands like Green Day, Blink 182, Sum 41 et al are actually Punk, do they?

Those bands are all punk!

I know opinions differ, but for me Punk was a movement that started in the late 60s and ended in the early 80s...I just can't associate these more modern bands with their big record label resources and well produced sound with punk at all.

• Like 2

I know opinions differ, but for me Punk was a movement that started in the late 60s and ended in the early 80s...I just can't associate these more modern bands with their big record label resources and well produced sound with punk at all.

Listening to the Night Fever clip that Stormtron posted, there's a sound to it that doesn't quite capture the punk vibe for me. Like you suggest, punk, to me, has a rawness and a stripped down instrumentation that I didn't hear in the Night Fever track. It's the infusion of the speed metal sound, drums in particular, I think.

I'm a huge fan of punk and like everyone I have my own view on what the term actually means.

So I'll not bother to defend why the bands I list qualify in my view but rather will simply list a variety of bands I view as punk and that I absolutely love.

Adverts

Clash

Damned

Dead Boys

Rocket From the Tombs

Pere UBU

Death

Bad Religion

Dead Kennedys

Circle Jerks

Naked Raygun

Cro Mags

DRI

Suicidal Tendencies

Tragedy

Fishbone

MDC

Siouxsie and the Banshess

Adicts

Bad Brains

Sunhumans (UK)

X-Ray Spex

Adolescents

Buzzcocks

Magazine

okay...this is not a good idea. I like far too many.

• Like 1

There's nothing punk about the bands listed.

• Like 1

They are punk to my generation. Music evolves, if Clash and Ramones are punk then these guys certainly are.

• Like 1

They are punk to my generation. Music evolves, if Clash and Ramones are punk then these guys certainly are.

Nope. If bands like Green Day are indeed punk, then punk is dead.

• Like 2

Unless you like the band, you are mega close minded.

We non-Rolling Stones fans have to put up with "be objective they are the best of the best" only to have you shove your own agenda once again at bands others like without your approval.

Green Day are a highly creative band and you deny that all you like, but their stage shows are no fluke. They are amazing onstage and the songs connect with their audience more than almost any other band I've come across.

They are a modern punk band and an exceptional rock band.

Oh look at me being objective about a band I barely like.

• Like 1

Like I mentioned before, the whole ethos of punk, was the do it yourself attitude. Peope forget it was promoted as DIY in the 70's. Regardless of how capable bands were, and most were incapable, that was not the point. It wasn't necessarily about a 'sound' that most identify punk as being, today The recent band Sleaford mods, has no guitars - many people these days, would not see Sleafords as being a punk band. The spirit Sleaford mods is though, far more punk to the origins, than most of the labelled punk bands today.

Edited by condemned2bfree

Unless you like the band, you are mega close minded.

We non-Rolling Stones fans have to put up with "be objective they are the best of the best" only to have you shove your own agenda once again at bands others like without your approval.

Green Day are a highly creative band and you deny that all you like, but their stage shows are no fluke. They are amazing onstage and the songs connect with their audience more than almost any other band I've come across.

They are a modern punk band and an exceptional rock band.

Oh look at me being objective about a band I barely like.

There is nothing punk about Green Day. That's all I stated. They are a paint by numbers band with a lot of fans who enjoy them. That's fine and okay with me. I never said their fans shouldn't enjoy them. And if you really take a step back and listen to Green Day's music you will find there's not a moment where there is an original note or expression. Johnny Lydon called them karaoke punk. They are a safe product. Take no chances. Sell albums and concert tickets. Good for them.