The moral dilemma of Rush continuing without Neil

fraroc

It's pretty obvious that Neil thinks that everybody thinks that he is the world's greatest drummer and most of the general public associate him with why Rush is so great and got so popular in the 70s and 80s. For example, if you mention Rush to a general fan of rock music, the most common response you'll get is "Aw man! Neil Peart is the best drummer in the world!" the general public tend to know his name more than Geddy Lee or Alex Lifeson, who were the founding members of the band he's in.

This is why I believe that Neil is being kind of a manipulator with his status. He has some serious leverage over Geddy and Alex. He knows that if they decided to continue Rush with Dave Lombardo or Mike Portonoy or Mike Mangini, they would be viewed as the biggest assholes in the world. I could even imagine the comments sections on Blabbermouth or MetalSucks articles if Geddy and Alex decided to do that. They would be ripped to shreds over it! It would be a huge PR disaster for both of them.

As a result, Rush is stuck in this weird flux right now. They haven't officially broken up, but with two of the founding members ready, willing, and able to preform and one who isn't, and the one who isn't happens to be the most famous one in the band....It's like "Great, what do we do now?"

It's pretty obvious that Neil thinks that everybody thinks that he is the world's greatest drummer and most of the general public associate him with why Rush is so great and got so popular in the 70s and 80s. For example, if you mention Rush to a general fan of rock music, the most common response you'll get is "Are they still around? 2112 was such a great album".

"Moral dilemma"?

• Like 3

It's pretty obvious that Neil thinks that everybody thinks that he is the world's greatest drummer and most of the general public associate him with why Rush is so great and got so popular in the 70s and 80s. For example, if you mention Rush to a general fan of rock music, the most common response you'll get is "Are they still around? 2112 was such a great album".

"Moral dilemma"?

That's exactly what I was going to post.

What "moral dilemma"?

I wish this was the most important thing I had to think about in my life. I envy Fraroc.

• Like 4

The moral dilemma is that if they do continue without Neil Peart as Rush, very few fans would accept that.

It would be just like with KISS. I may not personally have a problem with Tommy Thayer and Eric Singer in KISS, but I know plenty of fans do have an issue with that.

Edited by fraroc
  • Like 1

It's pretty obvious that Neil thinks that everybody thinks that he is the world's greatest drummer and most of the general public associate him with why Rush is so great and got so popular in the 70s and 80s. For example, if you mention Rush to a general fan of rock music, the most common response you'll get is "Aw man! Neil Peart is the best drummer in the world!" the general public tend to know his name more than Geddy Lee or Alex Lifeson, who were the founding members of the band he's in.

This is why I believe that Neil is being kind of a manipulator with his status. He has some serious leverage over Geddy and Alex. He knows that if they decided to continue Rush with Dave Lombardo or Mike Portonoy or Mike Mangini, they would be viewed as the biggest assholes in the world. I could even imagine the comments sections on Blabbermouth or MetalSucks articles if Geddy and Alex decided to do that. They would be ripped to shreds over it! It would be a huge PR disaster for both of them.

As a result, Rush is stuck in this weird flux right now. They haven't officially broken up, but with two of the founding members ready, willing, and able to preform and one who isn't, and the one who isn't happens to be the most famous one in the band....It's like "Great, what do we do now?"

yea.........that post is possibly your dumbest yet. and that is saying something.

that whole post is just a an abortion of the human spirit.

Mick

• Like 3

If Geddy and Alex want to play so badly, they will. The name of the band does not prevent this. They just won't call it Rush. Problem solved.

That probably is the only fair way to do it and I've always hoped that would become a reality.

• Like 1

yea.........that post is possibly your dumbest yet. and that is saying something.

I think that about twice a month for fraroc. But then the next month comes and he outdoes himself two more times

• Like 1

If Geddy and Alex want to play so badly, they will. The name of the band does not prevent this. They just won't call it Rush. Problem solved.

That probably is the only fair way to do it and I've always hoped that would become a reality.

That is how it go for the reasons you originally posted. The members of Rush are all equal even though one is more equal than the others.

that whole post is just a an abortion of the human spirit.

Mick

I've probably made stupider posts on this site in the past.

I guarantee you Ged and Alex each have as much influence over any decision in Rush as Neil does. The idea that Neil has more influence in the band just because he is (marginally if that) the most famous of the three is preposterous.

Also.....rush outside of our little bubble isn't even that popular.

just sayin'

Mick

Believe it or not, I was just going to post that.

Most people wouldn't even know who Neil Peart is.

another thing. i doubt t Peart gives one shit about what anyone thinks of him.

Mick

• Like 4

just sayin'

Mick

Mick

I doubt it too. Strongly. Very strongly.

• Like 2

just sayin'

Mick

Mick

just sayin'

Mick

Mick

I doubt it too. Strongly. Very strongly.

It would go against his entire character, which should be obvious if you've ever read his lyrics. Agreed.

• Like 4