Good songs with silly lyrics

fraroc

Do you have any songs that you like that have lyrics that can be viewed as somewhat silly and nonsensical?

For me, a good example of this would be the Yes song Love Will Find A Way. It's a pretty kickass 80s Yes song, but that's the song that has a rather infamous line..."I eat at chez nous"...As much as I love that song, that line does comes off as really random and silly.

• Like 5

Do you have any songs that you like that have lyrics that can be viewed as somewhat silly and nonsensical?

For me, a good example of this would be the Yes song Love Will Find A Way. It's a pretty kickass 80s Yes song, but that's the song that has a rather infamous line..."I eat at chez nous"...As much as I love that song, that line does comes off as really random and silly.

I forgot all about that :LOL:

Well, you're makin' me crazy

The way you roll them eyes

Won't you come and sit with me?

I'll tell you all my lies

That's not silly.

THIS is silly:

Phish's 11 minute jam called "David Bowie" that has two lines of lyrics repeated at various points.

These are the two lines:

David Bowie

UB40

:LOL:

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

Off topic, but since you brought up Love will Find a Way....what do you think of Open your eyes?

I love his music, but Ronnie James Dio wrote many songs with silly lyrics that fans often tried to explain as deep, philosophical metaphors.

You've got to bleed for the dancer? I'm a wheel I'm a wheel I can roll I can feel?

Those lyrics aren't even close to his silliest. The thing with Dio was that his voice had such power behind it that all his off the wall lyrics sounded like they meant something big.

Well, he's got to be saying important stuff, he sings it with such power and feeling lol.

I love his music, but Ronnie James Dio wrote many songs with silly lyrics that fans often tried to explain as deep, philosophical metaphors.

You've got to bleed for the dancer? I'm a wheel I'm a wheel I can roll I can feel?

Those lyrics aren't even close to his silliest. The thing with Dio was that his voice had such power behind it that all his off the wall lyrics sounded like they meant something big.

Well, he's got to be saying important stuff, he sings it with such power and feeling lol.

Exactly. I think a lot of fans don't like to accept that a great singer or guitarist isn't necessarily a messianic figure sent to help us all reach a higher level of spiritual understanding. Or a deep thinking genius.

• Like 1

Lots of Steely Dan songs have silly lyrics yet are good songs.

Is there gas in the car?

Yes, there's gas in the car

The way they're sung is silly, but they make sense. Kid Charlemagne needs gas in the car to get away.

Keeping with Kid Charlemagne, I like the way these lines is delivered:

On the hill the stuff was laced with kerosene

But yours was kitchen clean

Everyone stopped to stare at your technicolor motorhome.

• Like 1

Lots of Steely Dan songs have silly lyrics yet are good songs.

Is there gas in the car?

Yes, there's gas in the car

The way they're sung is silly, but they make sense. Kid Charlemagne needs gas in the car to get away.

Keeping with Kid Charlemagne, I like the way these lines is delivered:

On the hill the stuff was laced with kerosene

But yours was kitchen clean

Everyone stopped to stare at your technicolor motorhome.

I know they make sense, and I know the song tells a story, but they are still silly.

• Like 1

Just thought of another one - I Can't Stand Losing You.

I see you've sent my letters back

And my L.P. records and they're all scratched

I can't see the point in another day

When nobody listens to a word I say

Even the way Sting sings the lyrics - in a sing-songy fashion.

• Like 1

Beatles songs are full of goofy lyrics.

http://i.imgur.com/oaNFJet.jpg

On that note, 90s era Beck and Beastie Boys, since Paul's Boutique inspired Odelay, have many silly lyrics.

Mouthwash jukebox gasoline!

Don't mean to boast but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast!

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 1