Things that Geddy Lee's voice sound like

TheLountainofFamneth

I love Geddy's voice in every era of their music. It always seems to fit perfectly with whatever song I am listening to. The only time it sounds "so-so" is when he is trying to reproduce his vocals from 30 or 40 years ago. I have always thought his voice was awesome and "fit" in every new release they ever put out form "Finding My Way" to "The Garden". I think he turned out to be a great tenor.

:goodone: Geddy rules! :geddy:

He's one-of-a-kind, a daredevil on the bass, blessed with an angels voice. I love his sound and tone. :AlienSmiley:

• Like 4

I thought this was a Rush forum for Rush fans... This, along with the Neil bashing is ridiculous.

Rush would approve of this thread, Geddy laughs this stuff off..

I love Geddy's voice in every era of their music. It always seems to fit perfectly with whatever song I am listening to. The only time it sounds "so-so" is when he is trying to reproduce his vocals from 30 or 40 years ago. I have always thought his voice was awesome and "fit" in every new release they ever put out form "Finding My Way" to "The Garden". I think he turned out to be a great tenor.

I have never understood that classification to be honest. His voice is more like a "Castrato" (Scary process where boys would be castrated at birth and spend their lives being trained to sing very high) the difference between the "Castrato" and a female Soprano was that the male had a much more pure and powerful voice but with the same range

Notice I said "turned out" to be a great tenor. He sure didn't start out that way. I honestly love his voice in the later releases. Say Counterparts forward. Especially on S&A and CA. Great examples of a good tenor voice.

Thought of one.. Barry Gibb in Robin Gibb's pants

I like Mickey jumping off a bridge too!

I thought this was a Rush forum for Rush fans... This, along with the Neil bashing is ridiculous.

You're a Canuck who lists "farting in crowded elevators" as an interest. Your judgment is highly suspect.

We never seem to mind the smell of our own brand.
  • Like 1

Douchebags all y'all.

• Like 1

I always thought AFTK was Geddy at his absolute peak, vocally. If you listen to Disc 3 of Different Stages, there is a quality to his voice I haven't heard on any other recording. Everything he sings in that show sounds so effortless. His range is unbelievable, he's got that vibrato thing going on...simply amazing.

Don't get me wrong - not bashing him at all, and I still love all his vocal work from PE and MP onwards. This was a natural progression after he burned out his voice on the Hemispheres tour. The 80's and 90's he chose to sing in a lower register and for the most part it worked. The last few tours have been rough on Geddy. You could really hear him pushing and straining to hit most of the high stuff. Comes with age, I guess. But boy that AFTK era was a magical time for him.

• Like 2

1. People on a roller coaster

2. A hamster in warp drive

3. A dolphin being launched out of a catapult

4. A chihuahua being neutered by a serving fork

5. A hamster jumping off a building

6. A malfunctioning siren

7. A poorly auto-tuned plane engine

8. A drunk guinea pig with a megaphone

9. That high pitched Dental Machine

10. Mickey Mouse jumping off a bridge

11. Paul McCartney getting George Harrison's guitar shoved up his posterior

Also Geddy had a lovely gentle and warm melodic voice when he was not screaming, Stuff like Fly By Night and Making Memories and Closer to The Heart and Madrigal show the ability with the softer side of his voice

I know, I'm referring to his Screeching

I don't hate rush, I just find Geddy's voice fun to make fun of. Actually I love rush, Ged's voice is just funny when he screeches.

You have waaay too much time on your hands, my Friend. Additionally, what are you, 10 years old? Since when is making fun of people fun?

That being said, under the circumstances, I think the Neil bashing is more than appropriate! :D

• Like 2

I don't hate rush, I just find Geddy's voice fun to make fun of. Actually I love rush, Ged's voice is just funny when he screeches.

You have waaay too much time on your hands, my Friend. Additionally, what are you, 10 years old? Since when is making fun of people fun?

That being said, under the circumstances, I think the Neil bashing is more than appropriate! :D

His voice is just so funny, I like it, it just sounds like a whole slew of stuff.

I guess you're right. I wish I could turn back time.

I f***ing HATE CHER WITH ALL MY BEING.

AND TINA f***ing TURNER.

Possibly because they were so popular with the braindead woodenheads I had to play to in the North East of England Working Mans clubs in the 80's and 90's to earn a crust.

Just awful, dreadful

I remember those days. People were such dicks back then. "Half-breed", that's all I ever heard.

• Like 1

Thought some of Geddy's vocals on the first album sounded a lot like Robert Plant.

In any case he had an amazingly high range

I read a review ages ago that described him as a cross between Plant and Donald Duck.Rolling Stone i think,not surprising Edited by grasbo

Always loved Ged's voice except the yodelling in later years.It seems that any bloke with a high singing voice is fair game for so called critics.David Byron,Burke Shelley,David Surkamp and,err,Tiny Tim.Imagine what Rush would sound like with some one like Lenoard Cohen droning over it.Ged was just one part of what made Rush unique

Always loved Ged's voice except the yodelling in later years.It seems that any bloke with a high singing voice is fair game for so called critics.David Byron,Burke Shelley,David Surkamp and,err,Tiny Tim.Imagine what Rush would sound like with some one like Lenoard Cohen droning over it.Ged was just one part of what made Rush unique

Yes Geddy's voice is an acquired taste but I like it.

And what the hell are people doing on here if they don't????

There are plenty of Rush Forums entitled "Rush are Shit" out there. So just go there

Don't understand some of the negative comments here at all. sorry

I was trying to find out what ruined Jon Bon Jovi's voice when I found this posted at another website:

"Geddy Lee from Rush can't sing like he used to, he blames aging or more accurately, writing crazy vocal parts when he was young, but some believe his heavy smoking played a role."

I also read that Geddy has stopped smoking, but Alex and Neil still do.

Edited by Boots

His '70s voice circa '75-78 was fantastic. I consider AFTK/Hemispheres as his best years. Although he toned it down in years to come he didn't start to sound noticeably BAD (straining and cracking constantly) until the Snakes and Time Machine years
  • Like 1

Until CA* (which was atonal and off putting w/ the exception of the Garden), I loved Geddy's voice, defending it from naysayers who said 'it sounded like a chipmunk w/ its nuts caught in a vice' (that's paraphrased, btw). I think throughout the years he even reached moments of brilliance and beauty with it. It's unique, and Rush wouldn't be Rush without it. Edited by Alien Girl
  • Like 1

Geddy's voice is quite unique among rock and roll singers, and there's no doubt that it could be polarizing and the reason some people didn't like Rush. The singer is the one member of a band that you can't avoid, unless they're all instrumental.

Some folks don't like Coheed and Cambria or Tom Waits for that same reason.