Why is OK Computer on two popular sites rated at the top of the best album ever?

Texas King

No, I wouldn't put OK Computer in my top ten, but it's probably a top twenty. But I listen to a MUCH wider range of music than the average poll clicking listener. Some people may only be able to even think of a handful of albums to even choose from as 'great'. Edited by stoopid

I was never a big fan of alt rock, but OK Computer is fantastic. I probably slightly prefer In Rainbows, as far as Radiohead records go, but OK Computer is deserving of the praise it usually gets.

Having said that, it goes without saying that Radiohead is one of those bands that critics ejaculate to on a regular basis. They could release an album of Thom Yorke scatting over a beat for 50 minutes and they'd give it 4 1/2 stars. Same goes for Pitchfork, which is generally an awful site.

What you think?

On site Best Ever Albums OKC is rated as the second best album, while according to Rate Your Music it is No 1 album of all time.

http://www.besteveralbums.com/topratedstats.php

http://rateyourmusic.com/charts/top/album/all-time

It looks so unreal to me.

How can OK Computer be rated much higher than for example an album Close to the Edge by Yes or any Rush album?

And what are your general views on this album? Is it overrated?

Take your Rush blinkers off and see the world around you not just what you have put in front of you. The bolded question makes you seem immature or even stupid. The vast majority of people who contribute to these polls or are afforded an opinion would not even pause for a millisecond to consider Rush or Yes. That doesn't make them correct but it does reflect reality.

• Like 4

What you think?

On site Best Ever Albums OKC is rated as the second best album, while according to Rate Your Music it is No 1 album of all time.

http://www.bestevera...pratedstats.php

http://rateyourmusic.../album/all-time

How can OK Computer be rated much higher than for example an album Close to the Edge by Yes or any Rush album?

Take your Rush blinkers off and see the world around you not just what you have put in front of you. The bolded question makes you seem immature or even stupid. The vast majority of people who contribute to these polls or are afforded an opinion would not even pause for a millisecond to consider Rush or Yes. That doesn't make them correct but it does reflect reality.

Can't agree for "it does reflect the reality". Rush have a much bigger fanbase in all age groups, while Radiohead have a big fanbase only among younger generations. And I suppose visitors on those two sites who rated the album OKC mainly belong to younger population. And I can bet that visitors of sites have more of a critics bent. Radiohead are critically better acclaimed than Rush.

For example on that site Rateyourmusic.com albums by a band Eagles are rated incredibly low and it's probably connected with a fact that critics can't stand Eagles but that band are by far more popular among American rock fans than Radiohead. So those sites do not reflect the reality!

Edited by Texas King

Rate Your Music is definitely populated by younger fans who love Pitchfork. See: In the Aeroplane over the Sea in the top 30 all-time, an album that is an indie's fan wet dream, but didn't make a dent anywhere until critics and many major publications went crazy over it. It's like the critics all got together and decided, "We are going to rave about this album everywhere." It's a decent album at best.

That aside, even though they are my favorite, Rush is never going to do extremely well in any lists like that, so it's better to just accept it. And as great as I think Close to the Edge is, the only places it will ever rate near the top are prog sites.

• Like 1

Rate Your Music is definitely populated by younger fans who love Pitchfork. See: In the Aeroplane over the Sea in the top 30 all-time, an album that is an indie's fan wet dream, but didn't make a dent anywhere until critics and many major publications went crazy over it. It's like the critics all got together and decided, "We are going to rave about this album everywhere." It's a decent album at best.

That aside, even though they are my favorite, Rush is never going to do extremely well in any lists like that, so it's better to just accept it. And as great as I think Close to the Edge is, the only places it will ever rate near the top are prog sites.

this is true......outside here and selected other sites. i sadly hardly ever here Yes mentioned. Rush? they may as well have been an imaginary band we made up, lol

Mick

• Like 1

What you think?

Can't agree for "it does reflect the reality". Rush have a much bigger fanbase in all age groups, while Radiohead have a big fanbase only among younger generations. And I suppose visitors on those two sites who rated the album OKC mainly belong to younger population. And I can bet that visitors of sites have more of a critics bent. Radiohead are critically better acclaimed than Rush.

For example on that site Rateyourmusic.com albums by a band Eagles are rated incredibly low and it's probably connected with a fact that critics can't stand Eagles but that band are by far more popular among American rock fans than Radiohead. So those sites do not reflect the reality!

What you think?

Ok Computer was released in 1997. That's 20 years ago. If one projects that early adopters were around 20 (and I think they were older - it was their third album) then their hardcore fans could well be in their 40s.

Edited by Tony R
  • Like 2

What does the phrase "Ok Computer" mean in this context? Are they talking to the computer like "Ok computer this is your last chance to start working!" or is it a description of the computer "It's an ok computer, nothing special just ok..." ??

What does the phrase "Ok Computer" mean in this context? Are they talking to the computer like "Ok computer this is your last chance to start working!" or is it a description of the computer "It's an ok computer, nothing special just ok..." ??

It means 'OK Computer, you are here and will be around forever so we embrace you.'

It means 'OK Computer, you are here and will be around forever so we embrace you.'

Is that what you're doing right now, hugging a computer? It's not about hugging computers Tony!

• Like 1

Is that what you're doing right now, hugging a computer? It's not about hugging computers Tony!

I'm hugging a Brew Dog IPA actually.

I'm hugging a Brew Dog IPA actually.

Nice!

some young hipster by the name of geddy lee included ok computer among his favorite albums in a list a few years ago

How's it going buddy?

excellent, thanks for asking. what you been up to?

good to see you're still laying down the law

I never listen to it, but it is an outstanding album. It's a classic from that era of popular rock music. It's even a progressive rock album, one could argue. I think of Radiohead as the Yes of the 90s alternative revolution bands. They can fill stadiums, but they challenge their audiences and evolve as a band--kind of like that band Rush. So while I don't often listen to Radiohead, they are a cool band, and OKC is just as deserving as any other album. I mean, can't we just be happy that the top-rated album isn't the Foo Fighters or Green Day or something totally lame like that?

But I like The Foos and Green Day. :(

Exactly. Exactly, my friend.

What do you mean by that?

I never listen to it, but it is an outstanding album. It's a classic from that era of popular rock music. It's even a progressive rock album, one could argue. I think of Radiohead as the Yes of the 90s alternative revolution bands. They can fill stadiums, but they challenge their audiences and evolve as a band--kind of like that band Rush. So while I don't often listen to Radiohead, they are a cool band, and OKC is just as deserving as any other album. I mean, can't we just be happy that the top-rated album isn't the Foo Fighters or Green Day or something totally lame like that?

But I like The Foos and Green Day. :(

Exactly. Exactly, my friend.

What do you mean by that?

That this stuff is all subjective, lol.

• Like 1

some young hipster by the name of geddy lee included ok computer among his favorite albums in a list a few years ago

How's it going buddy?

excellent, thanks for asking. what you been up to?

good to see you're still laying down the law

Yeah, mind how you go sonny...

• Like 1

Topping a list means you might have got five votes to everyone else's four so doesn't mean a lot except that you've a slightly broader appeal than most anything else. Not surprising re OKC which can appeal to those who like prog, or alt, or stadium guitar rock, etc. It's an extraordinary album that way.

That said I'm one of those that thinks it deserves all the praise it gets. I see it as the DSotM of the post-Nirvana era. The first six tracks are mind-blowingly perfect (through Karma Police). The last six aren't on the same level but hold up their end nicely, and in the context of the album's theme of alienation within an increasingly automated and sterile society, they are essential and fit perfectly.

Anyway, it's my favorite album of one of my favorite bands, and I don't even think I'm being self-loathing or pretentious (though if someone doesn't agree with you there must be something wrong with them, right)? For context, along with Wire's 154 and Beatles' Revolver (my other two favorite bands), I'd rate it as my favorite album, and I'd no idea (until now) that the hipster crowd still liked it so much; I'd always thought that Kid A and In Rainbows had become the overrated hipster love fests; always assumed OKC was loved by critics and others because it was/is just so damn good with a timeless appeal, like DSotM, Zep IV, MP, London Calling, etc -- lightning in a bottle album, a great band's calling card.

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 4

Topping a list means you might have got five votes to everyone else's four so dorsn't mean a lot except that you've a slightly broader appeal than most anything else. Not surprising re OKC which can appeal to those who like prog, or alt, or stadium guitar rock, etc. It's an extraordinary album that way.

That said I'm one of those that thinks it deserves all the praise it gets. I see it as the DSotM of the post-Nirvana era. The first six tracks are mind-blowingly perfect (through Karma Police). The last six aren't on the same level but hold up their end nicely, and in the context of the album's theme of alienation within an increasingly automated and sterile society, they are essential and fit perfectly.

Anyway, it's my favorite album of one of my favorite bands, and I don't even think I'm being self-loathing or pretentious (though if someone doesn't agree with you there must be something wrong with them, right)? Along with Wire's 154 and Beatles' Revolver (my other two favorite bands), I'd rate it as my favorite album, and I'd no idea (until now) that the hipster crowd still liked it so much; I'd always thought that Kid A and In Rainbows had become the overrated hipster love fests; always assumed OKC was loved by critics and others because it was/is just so damn good with a timeless appeal, like DSotM, Zep IV, MP, London Calling, etc -- lightning in a bottle album, a great band's calling card.

I loved reading this! Enthusiasmfor music is always fun to read.

Never played Wire. And I have a copy of OKC so I will check it out again sometime.

• Like 2

Read somewhere that after being asked by Alex for songwriting advice, David Gilmour told him to write the songs acoustically first, because if that works you know you've got a good song. In that light, these amazing demos show just how fantastic are these songs; different from what ended up on the album, but fantastic in their own right. Sweet and delicate in a way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQnRjmxqCTE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJvErKAFSxk

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1

I love The Bends and OK Computer.

I saw Radiohead open for R.E.M (my then girlfriend dragged me to that show as I loathe R.E.M except for Gravity Pulls and Driver 8, everything else....blech). Well I had no idea who Radiohead were. They were supporting The Bends and played just about every track from it.

I was blown away....ran right out and bought the CD (no iTunes yet folks). I really like OK Computer as well.

Kid A has moments of brilliance but for me was so pretentious and droning electronic crap. When they went away from guitars, bass and drums.....I went away from them. Not my cup of tea. I need to hear the organic sounds of strings and skins....not being submerged in electronic, drug induced whatever they hell they did. In Rainbows was a nice return to form....but I moved on from Radiohead pretty much after Kid A.

To me Muse is a far better band for my $$$ who embrace electronica....but keep their power trio roots.....and Matt's vocals are just incredible. Muse to me is what I thought Radiohead would trend too. But they went in a different direction....and to their credit that is fine. They have a rabid legion of fans and rightfully so. They always push their boundaries and seek new sonic soundscapes.....but it's not for everyone. They lost their accessibility to me personally (and many others probably) after OK Computer.

A great band, a very good album. But not nearly the best ever.....dear lord no. I think The Bends was their finest to begin with. That is a masterpiece of 90's rock if I had to pick one of their records. It had the emotion and passion that lacks from OK Computer and everything after that.

Different strokes for different folks.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 2

Read somewhere that after being asked by Alex for songwriting advice, David Gilmour told him to write the songs acoustically first, because if that works you know you've got a good song. In that light, these amazing demos show just how fantastic are these songs; different from what ended up on the album, but fantastic in their own right. Sweet and delicate in a way.

Subterranean Homesick Alien may very well be my all time favorite song from Radiohead. Just a truly incredible song.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 1

Subterranean Homesick Alien may very well be my all time favorite song from Radiohead. Just a truly incredible song.

You're not alone in that thought here on TRF:

HomesickAlien

I think it's great myself, just not quite a top Radiohead song is all.