The 1974 debut bands battle, who has had the strongest career? Priest, KISS or Kansas? Or if you like who do you prefer?

treeduck

The 1974 debut bands battle...  

43 members have voted

1. 1. The 1974 debut bands battle, who has had the strongest career? Priest, KISS or Kansas? Or if you like who do you prefer?

Kansas for me, but I'm not mad about their debut honestly.

JP debut is far from great, they went enormously uphill with their second record(Sad Wings).

KISS don't interest me at all.

It's not just about the debut actually, the fact that they all released their debut in 1974 was just how I tied these bands together in the poll.

Gonna give KISS some much deserved love. They will be remembered long after Kansas and Priest.
  • Like 1

Gonna give KISS some much deserved love. They will be remembered long after Kansas and Priest.

I doubt the memory will outlive Priest in the minds of music lovers . Honestly...no...

I doubt the memory will outlive Priest in the minds of music lovers . Honestly...no...

Then you doubt the power of marketing. I'm not just talking about music lovers here. Kiss is an internationally recognized mega brand, known to music lovers and music lay persons alike. People have been laid to rest in Kiss Koffins. If that doesn't guarantee longevity, I don't know what does. Also, Kiss are approximately the only band that will likely still tour after all of its original members either pass away or decide to call touring quits; all Paul and Gene have to do is make an official statement that they're replacing themselves with any number of professional Kiss imitators and the band will go on.

Then you doubt the power of marketing. I'm not just talking about music lovers here. Kiss is an internationally recognized mega brand, known to music lovers and music lay persons alike. People have been laid to rest in Kiss Koffins. If that doesn't guarantee longevity, I don't know what does. Also, Kiss are approximately the only band that will likely still tour after all of its original members either pass away or decide to call touring quits; all Paul and Gene have to do is make an official statement that they're replacing themselves with any number of professional Kiss imitators and the band will go on.

Yeah, I wonder how many people have even heard of Judas Priest.

Priest. just fantastic.

Kansas was amazing in the 70's but fell apart quickly after and stumbled around horribly......only recently making a quality record.

And i don't like Kiss

Mick

This. :-)

Stormy went for KISS! :o :o :o

http://i.imgur.com/HZIJHh0.gif

Like many others, I'm not convinced that Paul and Cher aren't actually the same person.

I don't get it

No, you don't LIKE it. But you totally get it. See the difference? No mathematical concepts involved. :hail:

• Like 1

Kiss is the most overrated band in rhe history of the world. Kansas lacks staying power. Priest is still going strong after nearly 45 years as a band.

Not sure how KISS is overrated

They were never embraced by critics, elitist cliques or their peers .. Kiss had a bond that went beyond music - you either got them or you didn't ..

Even in their heyday, many more people hated them than loved them ... They worked hard at a grassroots level and became icons on thei own

Can't overrate success

I don't like the use of "you either get it or not" when it relates to things like this. It's not you or just here but I often see it in other music threads and in video vertigo. What's to "get"? Some people don't like spinach. Some people don't like Kiss. There's nothing to "get". They just LIKE the stuff or not. Anyway...

P.S. I like Kiss (in the 70s anyway) and spinach.

:hail:

You remember that episode of The Brady Bunch where Greg has the "exact words" rift with Mr and Mrs Brady ??

Get it ??

• Like 2

Kiss is the most overrated band in rhe history of the world. Kansas lacks staying power. Priest is still going strong after nearly 45 years as a band.

They were never embraced by critics, elitist cliques or their peers .. Kiss had a bond that went beyond music - you either got them or you didn't ..

Even in their heyday, many more people hated them than loved them ... They worked hard at a grassroots level and became icons on thei own

Can't overrate success

I don't like the use of "you either get it or not" when it relates to things like this. It's not you or just here but I often see it in other music threads and in video vertigo. What's to "get"? Some people don't like spinach. Some people don't like Kiss. There's nothing to "get". They just LIKE the stuff or not. Anyway...

You remember that episode of The Brady Bunch where Greg has the "exact words" rift with Mr and Mrs Brady ??

Get it ??

Greg was a t**t.

"Clowns never laughed before

beanstalks never grew

ponies never ran before

'til I met you"

Johnny Bravo and all that

• Like 2

Can't overrate success

Get it ??

Greg was a t**t.

beanstalks never grew

ponies never ran before

'til I met you"

Yeah, but he fit the suit

And in this instance, YOU are Greg

:LOL:

• Like 2

Can't overrate success

Get it ??

Greg was a t**t.

beanstalks never grew

ponies never ran before

'til I met you"

Yeah, but he fit the suit

And in this instance, YOU are Greg

:LOL:

Can't assign me to that when it's your fuckup

Did any other important bands debut in 1974?

Yeah but I left them out for obvious reasons, such as the result would already be known before we started.

http://i1.dailyrecord.co.uk/incoming/article6496906.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/JS10676141.jpg

Yeah, this place is loaded with Bay City Rollers fans.

• Like 1

Did any other important bands debut in 1974?

Yeah but I left them out for obvious reasons, such as the result would already be known before we started.

http://i1.dailyrecord.co.uk/incoming/article6496906.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/JS10676141.jpg

Yeah, this place is loaded with Bay City Rollers fans.

Great pic - is Woody unzipping his zipper, or, zipping it up ??

priest is the only one of these groups with good studio albums. and they've made good music after the 1970s. they're also the most original of these groups musically. and not that I give a shit about technical ability, but better singing and way more interesting playing.

KISS have great songs, but two great live albums that aren't even live can't compare to sad wings through defenders. or even just sad wings

as for kansas, I've said before that they're just a watered down version of earlier prog groups to me. I've tried to get into them

• Like 1

At their peak, Kansas would be my favourite. Song for America being one of my favourite albums. But beyond those first 5 or 6 albums, they don't really do much for me, while Judas Priest have had a consistently strong career (just don't mention the 90s)