Rush have tricked us with this new 2112 box set

YYZumbi

Am I the only one that is dissapointed with this 2112 box set release?

The 1976 video concert had been released earlier and the quality is really bad. The live version of The Twilight Zone was just awful quality, could not even listen to the whole song! I mean, come on! Why do they even bother releasing a audience bootleg!? They should be ashamed!

And the cover of Overture was poorly done by the band (Foo Fighters?). No feeling at all when playing.

The only thing I really liked was The Twilight Zone cover done by Steven Wilson. He really made it into a different kind of song. Really cool.

I have not yet listened to the original album, I at least hope that is well remastered. But not sure if that is enough for the price we paid...

And also the turntable mat is poor quality. If I use that, the sound quality will be terrible! No thank you...

It feels that they tricked us on this box set and stole our money! They really made a bad move here! Don't you guys agree?

First time I felt like this with a Rush release, but it was so terrible...

I regret buying this box set...

• Like 1

I don't know - there are few different consumers out there. They provided a less expensive version for those interested in the previously unreleased live tracks and then there's deluxe versions for the collector who likes a fancy wrapper and some toys.

The Twilight Zone live track is a miss but that's just 1 track. I would have liked an entire evening from the Massey Hall run but I guess the thought was to focus on 2112 material. The box and printed material is good quality, the Twilight Zone 7 inch is neato, the turntable mat I've barely looked at but seems of reasonable quality. I give the packaging high marks - the content of music could have been beefed up but I'm not disappointed. I guess it's a matter of expectations - mine were met.

• Like 1

I said in the main thread that I had low expectations for this edition other than yet another 2112 physical release for completists or newbies. That's about it. I'm only interested in the alternate Massey hall takes otherwise. Already saw the Capitol video online, and it's fine for what it is (closed circuit TV footage shot by the venue with soundboard mix audio). You get to see what the ATWAS show sorta looked like and hear one NJ theater-sized venue performance in its entirety. If someone got it for me as a gift, I'd think it was sweet of them. Someone did get me a tin of Rush playing cards for this holiday. Edited by HalfwayToGone
  • Like 2

The 1976 video concert had been released earlier and the quality is really bad. The live version of The Twilight Zone was just awful quality, could not even listen to the whole song! I mean, come on! Why do they even bother releasing a audience bootleg!? They should be ashamed!

And the cover of Overture was poorly done by the band (Foo Fighters?). No feeling at all when playing.

The only thing I really liked was The Twilight Zone cover done by Steven Wilson. He really made it into a different kind of song. Really cool.

I have not yet listened to the original album, I at least hope that is well remastered. But not sure if that is enough for the price we paid...

And also the turntable mat is poor quality. If I use that, the sound quality will be terrible! No thank you...

It feels that they tricked us on this box set and stole our money! They really made a bad move here! Don't you guys agree?

for some reason I never really considered buying it.....I am so disapointed with Time Stand still DVD that I could not stand another slap in da face.....now with your post I am sure I will pass :tsk:

There's a reason why I never buy every single thing a band puts out regardless of my enjoyment of said band and there's a reason why I approach reissues very carefully. If someone were to give this to me as a gift for Christmas, I wouldn't be disappointed or dismayed at all, in fact it would make me think the person who gave it to me was/is very generous.

That said, I looked at the contents of this very carefully and conceded that it wasn't worth purchasing at all. I'm content with my CD and vinyl copies of 2112 and that's all I need for my 2112 fix for now.

Edited by PolarizeMe
  • Like 6

There was à time i would have bought the 2112 reissue and anything else they released, but as student life transitioned to paying the bills and then family, the relative importance has decreased and I have become more selective. I stopped buying the shirts and posters after the Signals tour. I bought Chronicles just to get What You're Doin' on CD because it was left off the first release of ATWAS on CD. I did not buy Feedback. My interest in them playing cover tunes was not more than a mild curiosity. I have purchased every album and DVD within a couple of days of release and have seen every tour since Moving Pictures. I did not buy the DVD box set. I was at that Molson Amphitheatre show and want that concert but I'm not gonna re-buy the other live releases to get it. I may pick up the remastered 2112 but am satisfied with my multiple versions. If they release live shows from previous tours I will buy them and if they release any new music I will also buy it. I was a little disappointed in the latest documentary. The devoted fans part was a little cringe worthy. Some extras with rehearsal footage of fully produced versions of songs not played that night, more of the final show, in depth road crew and equipment discussion, would have been welcome. More history of their tours, decisions about the shows getting bigger (their shows were quite conservative in terms of lighting and sound when their sales were at a peak but got much bigger later).
  • Like 1

Rush didn't trick anyone.

The band probably didn't have much say in this being released. Re-issues like this are usually the call of the record company. Sure, they may mention it to the band what they wanted to do and ask them if there's anything they had that can be used for the set. But I seriously doubt Rush themselves were that hands on with how the whole thing came out.

Be upset with the record label, not the band.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 6

So return it and get your money back.

• Like 2

So return it and get your money back.

He can't do that though. He needs at least five of anything released with the Rush name on it :P

• Like 3

What's with the notion that anyone was tricked? This is absurd. The contents of the set were listed and they match what was delivered. The only ambiguity was the live version of Twilight Zone. While "Contraband" does suggest "bootleg" and we could extrapolate that to meaning bootleg or inferior quality we were hoping it was a board recording but other than that the contents have been delivered as promised and the box/cover/printed material is high grade. You did not have to buy this and all you would be missing out on is 2 live tracks totalling about 20 minutes. No slight of hand here - contents delivered as promised. Yeah I really wish that that Twilight Zone track was a board recording but to through accusations of trickery is a bit over the top.
  • Like 3

I didn't even buy the last 2112 deluxe version. Is that even worth getting?

If you despatetly need to have bonus live outtakes of 2112 and Something For Nothing from the ATWAS shows, a bootleg recording of The Twilight Zone, and an album's worth of 2112 covers of varying degrees of quality then sure go crazy for it.
  • Like 1

I didn't even buy the last 2112 deluxe version. Is that even worth getting?

If you despatetly need to have bonus live outtakes of 2112 and Something For Nothing from the ATWAS shows, a bootleg recording of The Twilight Zone, and an album's worth of 2112 covers of varying degrees of quality then sure go crazy for it.

Naaa...

Mind you I have gone mad in the past for versions of Sabbath and Priest albums, I've got LOADS!

for some reason I never really considered buying it.....I am so disapointed with Time Stand still DVD that I could not stand another slap in da face.....now with your post I am sure I will pass :tsk:

John Boehner appearing in a Rush move, c'mon!!

If I remember correctly, they have to run something like this by one of the members of Rush for approval, and that person is Neil I think.

Each Rush member is in charge of a certain aspect of the business.

Does anyone else here remember when this was discussed? I think it was when either the CA Tour or R40 dvd was released. I think it was R40 because we were complaining about the packaging, among other things. :LOL: :cool:

Edited by Lorraine