#TeamFish vs #TeamHogarth

fraroc

19 members have voted

1. 1. Where does your allegiance lie?

• #TeamFish
    • #TeamHogarth
    • I appreciate both eras of Marillion

Seeing as how Marillion is being discussed a lot....I figured what the hell, might as well make ANOTHER topic about it and cause a little bit of discussion/controversy because that's what I do best.

Anyways, As much as I like some of Steve Hogarth era Marillion, I think my allegiance lies with Fish. Why? Because with Fish, I feel like Marillion wasn't as musically stagnant. For example, on Fugazi, you have songs like Assassin, Punch and Judy, and Incubus that are danceable anthems while you also have softer songs like Jigsaw.

When it comes to an album like This Strange Machine, The only upbeat song on that album is An Accidental Man while the rest of it is just nothing but boring elevator music. Fuck Everything And Run I feel also has the same problem.

• Like 2

Brave was the last Hogarth-era album that I enjoyed.

This never happened with the Fish-era Marillion.I enjoyed them all!

The day I heard Market Square Heroes,Grendel,Garden Party etc for the first time was a special day.

Fish-era Marillion easily gets my vote!

• Like 1

The day I heard Market Square Heroes,Grendel,Garden Party etc for the first time was a special day.

Fish drove them.

seems like they just lost interest quickly with Hogarth.

as every album has sounded pretty safe and Stagnant for a while now.

Mick

l

• Like 1

Fish drove them.

Mick

l

It's a big shame they ownly made four albums with Fish!

Really believe they could have been huge with more time together,but we all know the problems they had during the making of Clutching At Straws,therefore it was inevitable that the end was soon to come.Amazes me how good an album that is by the way!

• Like 2

Fish drove them.

Mick

l

Really believe they could have been huge with more time together,but we all know the problems they had during the making of Clutching At Straws,therefore it was inevitable that the end was soon to come.Amazes me how good an album that is by the way!

And fish made some Damn good solo albums after. Whicch shows me that era had more gas in the tank had they continued.

Mick

• Like 1

I prefer Steve but I like Fish.

I agree that Fish-era Marillion were less stagnant, but outside of Fugazi it was hard for me to get it. Not all of Hogarth-era Marillion is interesting to me, either, but there's much more content, so even if I only like some things, overall I end up liking more stuff.

Fish drove them.

Mick

l

And fish made some Damn good solo albums after. Whicch shows me that era had more gas in the tank had they continued.

Mick

Fish's first solo record,The Vigil In The Wilderness Of Mirrors, has always been a particular favourite of mine!

• Like 1

Fish drove them.

Mick

l

Its amazing. Definitely went on a high note.

• Like 1

Fish drove them.

Mick

l

I disgaree. They last two albums proved that. They have not made two that sound the same but they were a bit lost in the late 90's after their EMI deal went south. They came back in a huge way with Anorak and then Marbles.

Oh, Fish by far! He is Marillion! He just sounds great the way he sings.

I saw Marillion live once with Hogarth. And it was just terrible. He cant sing for a shit, and the sound that the band got now is just boring. It also seems like Rothery does not get same much space after Fish left. Just boring....

I have seen Fish live, I think 4 times, and its just great! I saw his last tour when he played the whole Misplaced Childhood album, loved it! I was standing at first row. I even talked to Fish before the show started, and he signed some vinyl records of mine :D

• Like 2

The Hogarth era is one that I suspect will click with me if/when I make the effort and listen to the albums in detail. The Fish era, however, clicked immediately, all songs just hit you in the face mercilessly and you´re like "this is awesome!!!!"
  • Like 2

I love both dearly, but the Hogarth albums from Brave on have been, on the main, sensational. H is a master chronicler of the human condition. I love how their sound has progressed too. F.E.A.R. is my album of the year.

The Fish albums are nice to revisit every now and again, but I think I've outgrown them.

Fish. I met him a couple of times (he lived only 20 miles away from me) the guy is so down to earth and funny. Always had a joke on hand and the stories he told were hilarious. Brilliant lyricist, fantastic singer and he has a heart of Lothian.

Saw Marillion live in 1985 and in 1986, and they were a fantastic live band at the time. Great memories.

• Like 4

Fish. I met him a couple of times (he lived only 20 miles away from me) the guy is so down to earth and funny. Always had a joke on hand and the stories he told were hilarious. Brilliant lyricist, fantastic singer and he has a heart of Lothian.

Saw Marillion live in 1985 and in 1986, and they were a fantastic live band at the time. Great memories.

I have also talked to him (once) and I agree. He really is a nice guy!

• Like 1

I believe that Marillion was more relevant in the Fish era and I was hopeful after "Season's End" when Hogarth came on board, but something got lost in the transition. That being said, I do appreciate both eras. They are just not a band that I feel compelled to listen to very frequently anymore.