Vapor Trails vs St. Anger

fraroc

Vapor Trails and Hold Your Fire are my two favourite Rush albums, and pretty equally.

When I get back into Rush, I am sure my top four will remain the same: AFTK and MP are up there as well.

• Like 1

Vapor Trails and Hold Your Fire are my two favourite Rush albums, and pretty equally.

When I get back into Rush, I am sure my top four will remain the same: AFTK and MP are up there as well.

Both are albums I played the hell out of at the time. Nowadays they aren't even top of my list. Maybe because i killed them with overplay.

Both are albums I played the hell out of at the time. Nowadays they aren't even top of my list. Maybe because i killed them with overplay.

Which two?

Who said vapor trails has a lack of melody? That's a ridiculous statement. The issue with the album has always been it sounding poor due to the "brickwalling." I'm unaware of any complaints about a lack of melody.

Keep in mind, in a sea of silly Fraroc polls, this one is especially silly. Despite his attempt to explain why he's comparing these two albums, there's no reason to compare them. May as well be comparing VT to a pair of pink fuzzy bunny slippers.

So I guess I'm not allowed to discuss anything on this site anymore.

Who said vapor trails has a lack of melody? That's a ridiculous statement. The issue with the album has always been it sounding poor due to the "brickwalling." I'm unaware of any complaints about a lack of melody.

I remember that a lot of the complaints about that album was due to the fact that some songs didn't have any sort of distinct melody where you can hum it and say "oh yeah, I know that song!". Granted, people were also saying similar things about CA, but I hear a lot more distinctive melody in that one than in VT, especially Freeze.

I'd agree that Freeze is, by design, not very melodic. And many of the other songs have a very dark tone to them. But songs like How It Is, Sweet Miracle, Ghost Rider, and Earthshine have very hummable melodies.

Doo..doo...dooooo...

• Like 1

Which two?

Fire and Vapor

Keep in mind, in a sea of silly Fraroc polls, this one is especially silly. Despite his attempt to explain why he's comparing these two albums, there's no reason to compare them. May as well be comparing VT to a pair of pink fuzzy bunny slippers.

Where did I say that?

I could tell you where, but you once commented on my guitar playing which I feel you were implying I'm not allowed to say.

Edited by JARG
  • Like 1

Where did I say that?

I could tell you where, but you once commented on my guitar playing which I feel you were implying I'm not allowed to say.

ha ha very funny.

Despite the fact that Rush and Metallica are two completley different sounding bands, this point in their history from 2002-2003 had a crucial similarity. Both bands had just released a new record after having not released any new music after a long time and both of those records have been heavily criticized by the respective fans of each band. Vapor Trails' for the terrible production and lack of melody, and St. Anger with it's disjointed songs and horrid production.

Which album do you believe is more listenable? As much as I constantly criticize Vapor Trails, I find it a hell of a lot more listenable than anything on St. Anger.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

This could be one of the greatest threads EVER!

I can't believe I didn't think of this one!

GENIUS!

I hate "Vapor Trails" or is it "Vapor Trail?" LOL! That was such a stupid fuckking thread!

Anyway there is no doubt that "Vapor Trails" blows that shit "ST ANUS" away!!!

RUSH ON!

• Like 4

Much as I dislike Vapor Trails, it at least has a few good songs if you can get past the horrendous production.

St Anger however.....if the world had an arse, St Anger would be a suppurating pustule on a hideous carbuncle on the anal margin.....

• Like 2

never stopped listening to VT since release, never got even slightly bored with it, played the whole thing earlier today when walking dog actually, the standard of both variation and quality simply too high. album has a really uplifting feel to it too, i also feel the pure rock slant that other rush albums dont have kinda helps too - i mean still has the Rush x factor thing going on but defo more down to earth in a lot of ways ie/ ghost rider still rush but obvs has a kind of country feel to it

one thing though, although the remixed version of OLV defo better i gave up on the remixed album some time ago, just too many unnecessary changes - the biggest of which was that Lifeson lick at 'if laughter is a straw for a drowning man'... tried to deal with that omission but decided no, no way should that have been taken out. i mean i know the remix production dude had license to play around a bit but what he was doing taking that out is beyond me. Secret Touch destroyed in remix too and Peaceable Kingdom suffers from a horrible distortion at points.

so, definitely sticking with original VT which has definitely become my most listened to album of all time, by any band. and after 15 years i still cant see a day when i'll be remotely tired of it.

Edited by lifeson90
  • Like 2

never stopped listening to VT since release, never got even slightly bored with it, played the whole thing earlier today when walking dog actually, the stand of both variation and quality simply too high. album has a really uplifting feel to it too, i also feel the pure rock slant that other rush albums dont have kinda helps too - i mean still has the Rush x factor thing about it but defo more down to earth in a lot of ways ie/ ghost rider still rush but obvs has a kind of country feel to it

one thing though, although the remixed version of OLV defo better i gave up on the remixed album some time ago, just too many unnecessary changes - the biggest of which was that Lifeson lick at 'if laughter is a straw for a drowning man'... tried to deal with that omission but decided no, no way should that have just been taken out. i mean i know the remix production dude had license to play around a bit but what he was doing taking that out is beyond me. Secret Touch destroyed in remix too and Peaceable Kingdom suffers from a horrible distortion at points.

so, definitely sticking with original VT which has definitely become my most listened to album of all time, by any band. and after 15 years i still cant see a day when i'll be remotely tired of it.

This. I love everything about Vapor Trails. I think those who hate in it are wimps.

If anything it's the most rocking and enjoyably heavy thing Rush ever released. No geeky moments. No boring half assed prog flourishes and just kick as songs and heaps of genuine pain and emotion.

I'm not really into Rush anymore. But Hold Your Fire and Vapor Trails I think are two albums I will always be into.

• Like 1

The remaster definitely made VT a hundred times better, but I feel that St. Anger really can't be saved.

Good for you and your opinion. Buy it's an okay album to me with songs that work amazingly well live.

So you might not be able to save it but I most certainly can.

• Like 1

I am among the ones not disgusted by VT; can't say the same of St Anger. And when I thought Metallica could not reach a lower point then came Lulu....
  • Like 1