What made Rush so special for you?

Lorraine

This thread is inspired by these two posts from my thread in MOTS.

Here they are:

Stormtron: "Rush - For whatever reason, just something about Rush hit me in a way no other band has. Add in the friends I've made because of them and bonding even more with my wife who fell in love with them too, and they're just a band who's always going to be special to me."

Ancient Ways: "I like a lot of other bands but only one took me from being a casual listener to a fanatic. Only one inspired me to pick up an instrument. Only one made me want to do dig into music and find out how it all works. Only one made lyrics that spoke to me on a different level than others. Rush."

I've been here for four years, and it still amazes me the depth of the attachment many of you have for this band.

What was it about them that touched you as no other band ever has?

For me, I think that the men behind the music added immensely to their allure and staying power.

• Like 6

Ok, everyone else can still comment.

:LOL:

:Alex: :yes:

I love all three band members though. Rush was the band that showed me I could listen to different tunes and still rock!

I learnt to appreciate technical music and it made me feel like playing guitars.

The vocals also impressed me because Geddy is unusual singer. That bass leading melodies, creating environments that made many bass players learn of.

Rush is an inspiration and many bands around the world learned from.

The band is also very ethical and they're great human beings.

Rush is really among my twelve favorite bands ever. Among these I can pick six, they'll still be in.

Of these six, I may choose three.

Rush will remain as first. :rush: :cheers:

Rush is timeless. They've got the right and deserve all honors.

Alex, Neil and Geddy made wonderful Art, beautiful compositions and stunning effects on the audience.

To me, they still are alive through all music and visual material left as heritage in this world.

Rush always will be.

• Like 3

This thread is inspired by these two posts from my thread in MOTS.

Here they are:

Stormtron: "Rush - For whatever reason, just something about Rush hit me in a way no other band has. Add in the friends I've made because of them and bonding even more with my wife who fell in love with them too, and they're just a band who's always going to be special to me."

Ancient Ways: "I like a lot of other bands but only one took me from being a casual listener to a fanatic. Only one inspired me to pick up an instrument. Only one made me want to do dig into music and find out how it all works. Only one made lyrics that spoke to me on a different level than others. Rush."

I've been here for four years, and it still amazes me the depth of the attachment many of you have for this band.

What was it about them that touched you as no other band ever has?

For me, I think that the men behind the music added immensely to their allure and staying power.

Can't explain it but I suppose it could be a similar vibe to what The Beatles do to me. The closest analogy I can think of is that they both are like a well from which I can constantly draw. They keep bringing me back. They have both sat at the top for me for 20 years now.

• Like 5

Thanks for including my post in your comment. It took me a few days to decide what I wanted to post in that thread. I kept working my way back and realized that rush was a turning point in many ways for me. It sounds silly but I am a different person because of them. I discovered them immediately upon entering high school which is a time where anything that's impacts you has an increased significance than at any other time. I arrived at high school very naive and really still a kid. I mostly struck up friendships with juniors and seniors for some reason. A couple of them invited me out and I had my first beers with them, first smokes, and first exposure to rush with them. So, beyond what I wrote in the other thread, they were one of many experiences that helped me transition from child to adult. I didn't understand what made them musically different at the time but I felt it. Lyrically, the maturity of it was impactful. It felt like all other bands were talking baby talk and these guys were treating all of their listeners like equals.
  • Like 7

Everything they do, honestly.

The lyrics hold a pretty special place with me. That's what caught my interest at first. I remember hearing Limelight on the radio in the early 90s and thinking "wow, nobody writes lyrics like this. This is a band i'll have to check out."

As I got more into them and paid attention to the music, I realized that was just as special as their lyrics. They sounded like nobody else out there and it made them stand out above every other band. I could tell they took the time and effort to make whatever they were doing the best it could possibly be.

• Like 4

There are so many layers to what makes Rush special to me. The music is always innovative, interesting to listen to, heavily layered while still maintaining the integrity of a three-man band, and, perhaps most important, sounds amazing. The lyrics aren't the stereotypical rock lyrics, but also aren't dreadful to listen to. Each set of lyrics present a fun story, or a deep theme, or a self-realization while still keeping the grace that lyrics need in order to flow. The interaction between the music and lyrics, in everything from baselines to solos, only adds to the general effect of the song. The way they play live brings an amazing energy that isn't brought out in other bands. Rush doesn't play live so we can hear their songs from the studio in an arena setting. They play live one, because they enjoy it (⅔ of them at least), and two, so we can see a performance, a show, and be entertained. Rush puts on a helluva show, regardless of what songs they do or do not play. That's what makes Rush special.
  • Like 3

If you take some dough, tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, pepperoni slices, green peppers, mushrooms, black olives, and some other fresh vegetables, you've got some pretty good ingredients. But when you combine them and bake them for a specific amount of time, when it's done you've got yourself a special, magical Rush pie. Wait, what the hell am I talking about? :blaze:
  • Like 4

They are probably the first band I got obsessed with. I am not sure I can put my finger on why other than the obvious musical integrity and quality. That is what got my attention and got me to dig deeper. I got much heavier into prog rock/metal because of Rush. I feel a bond to their music that I can't explain and that reaches beyond to them personally. It's similar to what you get by reading great books and having a bond with the author because you have shared what is in their mind and soul. It's the coolest thing when that happens. There is plenty of music I like but it doesn't go as deep as Rush does.
  • Like 3

Simply them as people. They're so humble, creative, and absolutely hilarious. Plus the sense of community is nothing like other fandoms. It feels like one big family, and I felt that at Rushcon for sure.
  • Like 4

Initially, it was Geddy's voice, and the overall uniqueness of the band .. Geddy was like the androgynous alien who was like no one else .. Alex played great hard rock guitar, but also broke out the classical, which I loved ( first song I heard was A Farewell To Kings )

The Professor was this laid back intellectual guy who was always pictured alone, in a chair, reading with a cigarette - but on record, he was this monster on drums ...

Each guy was different than the other, but they fit together perfectly

So right off the bat, it was a combination of the sound and the individuals involved ...

When I was old enough to really understand and appreciate the lyrics, it made it that much better .....

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 3

Hemispheres was my first Rush record, the subsequent tour my first show. Yes I am a long-haired old git with failing eyesight. 30-odd years later here we all are still gushin'. Says it all really.

Many journo's describe Rush 'the biggest cult band in the world'. Right on. Rush are the people's band, always have been. The fan's band and nobody's else's.

Long live :rush:

• Like 4

Hemispheres was my first Rush record, the subsequent tour my first show. Yes I am a long-haired old git with failing eyesight. 30-odd years later here we all are still gushin'. Says it all really.

Many journo's describe Rush 'the biggest cult band in the world'. Right on. Rush are the people's band, always have been. The fan's band and nobody's else's.

Long live :rush:

Had I only heard Hemispheres back in the seventies, I, too, would have become a fan long before I did. My loss all around.

Edited by Lorraine