Geddy: 'I Think I've Accepted That' RUSH Has Done Its Last Tour"

zappafrank

It's been almost 2 years that we knew that they could be retiring and that could be it and yet people are still fighting it. Why not be happy that we got 40+ years of touring and great music. That's more than practically any other band in the world has given us.

And I think we can look forward to a Lee/lifeson project in the future. An album with several guest drummers would be perfect since it wouldn't be looked at as a new version of rush and they can find a lyricist. I'm curious to see what Neil can do with an actual novel too. Lots of possibilities that don't include a tour or new album.

How about guests vocals too, to let Ged focus on what he (still) does best?

Thanks Neil. We really appreciate it. I sincerely hope your happy now that someone that is supposed to be your friend now has to accept that HIS OWN BAND will no longer play live because of you.

GET. OVER. IT!!!!

To easy to dismiss the feelings this way. I'm sure -- maybe not in the way fraroc phrased it -- many fans are echoing Geddy's feelings.....none of the members of Rush are ancient or disabled, and there are many ways to compromise on the "tour issue." Fewer shows, don't travel by motorcycle, only tour behind a new album, etc. For an endeavor of 40+ years to end so seemingly abruptly has to be a tough pill to swallow, particularly for those involved. And it's natural to wonder if/when Neil might change his mind.

Is it abrupt really? Maybe in an obsessed fan's mind.

Hasn't Neil stated a few times already that it wasn't a quick decision?

And even if it was abrupt, so what? When it comes down to it, nobody owes anything to anyone. I'm as diehard a Rush fan as anyone. He doesn't want to work, he doesn't want to work.

As far as fraroc' comment goes, that's just selfish, self-centered crap. And that's the truth. "Because of you" garbage. I'm with Digital Dad and the "Get over it" sentiment.

Wanting to see Rush again has a absolutely nothing to do with getting over it. Personally, I have seen about ten fantastic concerts since Rush retired from touring, but it still would have been enjoyable seeing them one last time. I've unequivocally moved on. Seeing the historic and breathtaking Temple of the Dog only show ever in NY on Monday nite and The Hips second to last show ever in Ottawa a few months ago to me represents examples of moving on. Does not preclude my thoughts on Rush's drummer abrupt retirement.

And informing fans in February that in May their "most likely last tour of this magnitude" is in fact their last tour ever, is not only abrupt, but drastic. All because one man wanted it that way with no flexibility nor negotiation with his partners. I recall no discussion from Rush regarding their end was imminent until that stunning R40 announcement.

To have never performed a setlist consisting of an even distribution of their career catalogue until R40 and the weight of finality was unfortunate.

Thanks Neil. We really appreciate it. I sincerely hope your happy now that someone that is supposed to be your friend now has to accept that HIS OWN BAND will no longer play live because of you.

GET. OVER. IT!!!!

To easy to dismiss the feelings this way. I'm sure -- maybe not in the way fraroc phrased it -- many fans are echoing Geddy's feelings.....none of the members of Rush are ancient or disabled, and there are many ways to compromise on the "tour issue." Fewer shows, don't travel by motorcycle, only tour behind a new album, etc. For an endeavor of 40+ years to end so seemingly abruptly has to be a tough pill to swallow, particularly for those involved. And it's natural to wonder if/when Neil might change his mind.

And even if it was abrupt, so what? When it comes down to it, nobody owes anything to anyone. I'm as diehard a Rush fan as anyone. He doesn't want to work, he doesn't want to work.

As far as fraroc' comment goes, that's just selfish, self-centered crap. And that's the truth. "Because of you" garbage. I'm with Digital Dad and the "Get over it" sentiment.

Wanting to see Rush again has a absolutely nothing to do with getting over it. Personally, I have seen about ten fantastic concerts since Rush retired from touring, but it still would have been enjoyable seeing them one last time. I've unequivocally moved on. Seeing the historic and breathtaking Temple of the Dog only show ever in NY on Monday nite and The Hips second to last show ever in Ottawa a few months ago to me represents examples of moving on. Does not preclude my thoughts on Rush's drummer abrupt retirement.

And informing fans in February that in May their "most likely last tour of this magnitude" is in fact their last tour ever, is not only abrupt, but drastic. All because one man wanted it that way with no flexibility nor negotiation with his partners. I recall no discussion from Rush regarding their end was imminent until that stunning R40 announcement.

To have never performed a setlist consisting of an even distribution of their career catalogue until R40 and the weight of finality was unfortunate.

I never said "wanting to see Rush again" and "getting over it" were the same. The "get over it" statement that Digital Dad made earlier was only addressed to fraroc. And I was agreeing with it being directed towards him because if you've read his never ending comments on the matter then you'll know that HE needs to get over it.

IMHO, Ron's post was not from the same zone as fraroc's. Ron seems to wonder while fraroc seems to carry a grudge and is eager to blame.

You think it was abrupt, I don't. So what?

• Like 2

GET. OVER. IT!!!!

I never said "wanting to see Rush again" and "getting over it" were the same. The "get over it" statement that Digital Dad made earlier was only addressed to fraroc. And I was agreeing with it being directed towards him because if you've read his never ending comments on the matter then you'll know that HE needs to get over it.

IMHO, Ron's post was not from the same zone as fraroc's. Ron seems to wonder while fraroc seems to carry a grudge and is eager to blame.

After 40+ years together, and at the pace that they had been going (new music once every five years, the last tour before the announcement of the 'last tour of...magnitude' being a two leg-tour in 2012-'13, and then taking a year and a half off)...I have to agree that it was not abrupt. Gil, I love you dude, but I don't think it was abrupt.

I don't know any other band in their 60s who still played the kind of music they were playing- always challenging and demanding the utmost of all three of them, both physically and in terms of technical skill.

I'm grateful for every single note, beat, and phrase.

And that's it.

It's incredible that Geddy and probably Alex would still like to keep going, in some form, with some kind of continuing musical vehicle. Bless 'em for whatever they decide it will be...or even if it doesn't happen at all (but I think it probably will).

And I wish Neil every happiness he can enjoy. :)

• Like 2

GET. OVER. IT!!!!

True, so what.

GET. OVER. IT!!!!

After 40+ years together, and at the pace that they had been going (new music once every five years, the last tour before the announcement of the 'last tour of...magnitude' being a two leg-tour in 2012-'13, and then taking a year and a half off)...I have to agree that it was not abrupt. Gil, I love you dude, but I don't think it was abrupt.

I don't know any other band in their 60s who still played the kind of music they were playing- always challenging and demanding the utmost of all three of them, both physically and in terms of technical skill.

I'm grateful for every single note, beat, and phrase.

And that's it.

It's incredible that Geddy and probably Alex would still like to keep going, in some form, with some kind of continuing musical vehicle. Bless 'em for whatever they decide it will be...or even if it doesn't happen at all (but I think it probably will).

And I wish Neil every happiness he can enjoy. :)

Very well said. Their last tour also was their shortest in decades, probably ever. A shame Rush fans couldn't savor their last chance to enjoy "being in the same room as Rush" just a little longer, especially considering we had to wait decades to hear an hour long string of awesome 70s Rush (including PeW ;) ) at a show. Then it ended. That's life. Neil has certainly earned a long and healthy retirement.

I think it's time for all the Rush tribute bands to rise from the ashes and conquer the world. Unfortunately, I've yet to see/hear any Rush tribute band that holds a candle to the original. Most have the instrumentation down, but the vocals are always lacking. And don't even try with more than three in the group.

Yep......I'm merely speculating. Because really, what else do we have to do at this point?
  • Like 1

It's been almost 2 years that we knew that they could be retiring and that could be it and yet people are still fighting it. Why not be happy that we got 40+ years of touring and great music. That's more than practically any other band in the world has given us.

And I think we can look forward to a Lee/lifeson project in the future. An album with several guest drummers would be perfect since it wouldn't be looked at as a new version of rush and they can find a lyricist. I'm curious to see what Neil can do with an actual novel too. Lots of possibilities that don't include a tour or new album.

Yes that's true. But even if they never put out any other music I'm happy for what I got. Anything else is a bonus.

Too right. I've been thinking everything was a bonus since Different Stages. I swore My Favorite Headache was the nail in the coffin.

And I like the idea of various drummers on a Lee/Lifeson project...though I'd like to see ONE drummer for 70% of those songs to see what kind of chemistry they could get going across the bulk of an album. The remaining 30%, I'd like to see various drummers.

I would like to hear music from them but honestly I think Geddys voice is shot, so hopefully instrumental or someone else singing.

BULL

SHIT.

Edited by fraroc
  • Like 1

Yes that's true. But even if they never put out any other music I'm happy for what I got. Anything else is a bonus.

Too right. I've been thinking everything was a bonus since Different Stages. I swore My Favorite Headache was the nail in the coffin.

And I like the idea of various drummers on a Lee/Lifeson project...though I'd like to see ONE drummer for 70% of those songs to see what kind of chemistry they could get going across the bulk of an album. The remaining 30%, I'd like to see various drummers.

I would like to hear music from them but honestly I think Geddys voice is shot, so hopefully instrumental or someone else singing.

BULL

SHIT.

I wouldn't want an all instrumental album from Geddy & Alex + others. And I wouldn't want an album from them in which another vocalist is doing ALL the singing. On say a 12 song album, I'd want half by another vocalist or vocalists, a few instrumentals, and everything else sang by Geddy. But no yodeling. And no Geddy x 1,000 chorus Geddys.

The last FULL album that I liked ALL of Geddy's vocals was My Favorite Headache. ((Despite not liking every song.)) The 21st century live albums don't cut it for me. I'm just not enjoying ALL of his vocals these days but I can't say that of 20th century Geddy.

In short, I wouldn't agree that his voice is totally shot these days but it sure sounds like it on some songs.

BULL

SHIT.

My dear wife got me the R40 dvd for my birthday. There were moments where we both tried not to cringe. It was not pretty in spots (Lakeside Park leaps to mind), despite the musicianship.

It sounds like Geddy blew his voice out, buddy, and it ain't never coming back [double negative intended]. Just like "Shane" or "Old Yeller"

So much of that weird yodeling, as Eel Yddeg describes it. Sad to say, I haven't watched it since. I will though, just not in any hurry.

There are fine vocal moments on R40, but you have to admit, there's also perhaps a tiny little bit of strain. Which is no problem, he's human, right?

But don't call "bullshit" on something like this. There's too much evidence against you. Don't waste your "bullshit" card here. Save it for another day! :)

It's cool that you're so passionate about this though. Music is the best, and you obviously enjoy music!

• Like 1

BULL

SHIT.

Wow, I agree with Fraroc. He struggles live but a lot of vocalists do and most of them aren't playing bass, keys, and triggering samples. I thought he sounded fine on clockwork angels and that's what's most important to me.

BULL

SHIT.

My dear wife got me the R40 dvd for my birthday. There were moments where we both tried not to cringe. It was not pretty in spots (Lakeside Park leaps to mind), despite the musicianship.

It sounds like Geddy blew his voice out, buddy, and it ain't never coming back [double negative intended]. Just like "Shane" or "Old Yeller"

So much of that weird yodeling, as Eel Yddeg describes it. Sad to say, I haven't watched it since. I will though, just not in any hurry.

There are fine vocal moments on R40, but you have to admit, there's also perhaps a tiny little bit of strain. Which is no problem, he's human, right?

But don't call "bullshit" on something like this. There's too much evidence against you. Don't waste your "bullshit" card here. Save it for another day! :)

It's cool that you're so passionate about this though. Music is the best, and you obviously enjoy music!

The R40 tour was the best Geddy sounded in a helluva long time. You clearly don't know your asshole from a hole in the ground.

And yes, I'm salty af

• Like 1

BULL

SHIT.

The R40 tour was the best Geddy sounded in a helluva long time. You clearly don't know your asshole from a hole in the ground.

And yes, I'm salty af

"Salty"? I thought your post here was a hole in the ground thing to say...oh sorry, asshole thing to say.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

BULL

SHIT.

Honestly, you don't respect my opinion, I don't give a crap what you think. :LOL:

• Like 2

BULL

SHIT.

And yes, I'm salty af

Sorry "salty af", I saw one of the first shows of the Time Machine tour and Geddy sounded quite a bit better then than he did on TM tour dvd or R40 dvd.

Just my musical opinion. I heard much less yodelly-voice-breaking stuff. I found it distracting in spots on the R40 dvd. He's still an awesome musician who is freakishly talented. It's just that his voice is showing definite signs of aging. He even says so in that latest interview with George S.

btw, the only similarity between my butt and a hole in the ground is that both are crawling with ants.

sweet bg

• Like 1