Alex says, "Rush Can't Just Stop"

Ron2112

1. If all three are not there, they will not call it Rush.

2. All three are not going to be there.

3. Ged and Al have expressed an interest in film scores.

4. Ged and Al will probably make solo albums.

5. Neil will write more books and boring blogs.

6. Ray D and Ole will release live shows for the next ten years.

7. We will buy them all.

• Like 2

1. If all three are not there, they will not call it Rush.

2. All three are not going to be there.

3. Ged and Al have expressed an interest in film scores.

4. Ged and Al will probably make solo albums.

5. Neil will write more books and boring blogs.

6. Ray D and Ole will release live shows for the next ten years.

7. We will buy them all.

I'm a big proponent of numbers 4 through 6 (and then, by extension, 7).

• Like 1

Misleading title. Alex never says "Rush can't stop"; he says "we" meaning Geddy and himself. He is clearly not speaking for Neil.

If they still truly want to be active musicians, I don't understand what they're waiting around for. Neil has made it clear he's done. Rush as that trio is over. They're already almost senior citizens. Decide on a direction and get started. I'd almost rather hear no news than these useless kind of quotes again and again.

Right, and every time another useless quote appears, we have the same argument on a thread again.

• Like 1

I really don't give a shit anymore if I get a ton of hate. Can these two PLEASE go on tour with a different drummer? Granted it won't be Rush but it would at least be something....Hell, "New World Men" could definitely work as a title for the project.

Man, I've been wanting them to tour with a different drummer for years and years, but now that Geddy can't sing, I think they'd need to bring along a singer as well, or play just the songs that he can handle.

Do I hear the voice of reason? Sure do...
  • Like 2

I just really want to see Alex and Geddy play together again. I'd love for it to be full-on Rush with Neil along, but I honestly don't really care all that much at this point. It has occurred to me that without Neil there might be an essential spark missing that would result in whatever Alex and Geddy did together being less than exceptional, but those two have my open mind and the benefit of my doubt all the way. And I hope they carry on making music together even if I don't care very much for their output, because with what their partnership represents to me, the idea of them not wanting to make music together anymore is too painful to bear.

Yep. I would sign up to see them with another drummer tomorrow. Just too old to be too picky at this point. Just entertain me please... Edited by Narps
  • Like 2

Rush are done.

Lifeson and Lee maybe not.

End of.

Probably.

I think the most likely possibility is that they make some new material to release either as singles and/or include on one of their numerous compilations.

I don't expect another album of all new material but don't think it's necesarily an impossibility.

They have ostensibly written off the possibility of another full scale tour, but haven't really given us any idea of what a less than full blown 'tour' might be. A one night show? A handful of shows at select venues? Fans would love it of course but I suspect it wouldn't be feasible from a costs/benefits analysis.

It would be nice if the boys could give us a firmer sense of what if anything we can reasonably expect but I imagine they don't know themselves.

The ambiguity as to their status as a band is somewhat frustrating but I don't fault them for it.

If we've seen the last of them R40 was certainly ending on a high note.

I am skeptical of the prospects of a scaled down tour, since it typically takes several shows before they hit their stride and I'm not sure they ever would on a significantly scaled back tour. We need to be careful what we wish for.

They could of course do what a lot of other iconic bands have done late in their careers and fill the stage with a dozen or so session musicians but that wouldn't be a very dignified exit.

Edited by rftag
  • Like 2

I'm okay with Rush being retired. I think it'd be cool if they tried to make new studio-only material though. But I'm not expecting it.

If Ged and/or Alex want to go and record and perform, more power to them, but without the three of them, it won't be Rush. They could cover some Rush though.

What do you call the album they did before Fly By Night? What do you call the band for that album?

I'm just busting your balls. But at the same time, did Rutsey actually not exist? Did that debut album not exist?

Look at the sports franchise the Toronto Maple Leafs. They weren't always the Maple Leafs, originally they were the Toronto Arenas, then the St. Patricks. After a very brief existence with those names, they renamed as the Maple Leafs and stayed that way for 90 years now.

Back in 1927, when they rebranded themselves, there wasn't the enormous history and recognition with that name.

Now though, if the Maple Leafs tried to change their brand or public image, it'd be wildly unpopular. It's unimaginable.

Rush's original image may not have been with Peart, but he's been a part of the brand for long enough that the two are now inseparable. A rebranding would be unrecognizable, and lose its novelty, whether or not its in its original form.

Did you not read the first sentence of my second paragraph?

And you're comparing a band to a pro team that's been in existence around 100 years with a never ending cycle of changing players. But ok, sports....What about the Raiders in the NFL? Those are some die hard fans. Oakland? L.A.? Oakland? L.A.? Has that mattered all that much? Did Raiders fans give up watching because they moved? And then again?

I'd bet all kinds of money that every TRFer here would buy the next Rush album regardless if Peart was on it. Even the cheap bastards would download and download and download. But we'd all listen to it. Additionally, I'd bet that every TRFer (that could get to a gig and afford it + didn't think Geddy's voice is shot) would see them live regardless of Peart. Most would bitch about SOMETHING but we'd all dish out the dough.

I would not see :rush: live if Neil was not there

You say that now. But IF Geddy & Alex actually did continue with the Rush name, you'd be there if money or transport weren't an issue. I'm not saying this will happen, it almost definitely won't happen. I'm just guessing what you would do if so.

Rush are done.

Lifeson and Lee maybe not.

End of.

Let's make it interesting. $20 says they (Lee, Lifeson and Peart) are not done, and within one year from today, we will have an album and/or tour announcement.

Done if you remove the "or".

I'm okay with Rush being retired. I think it'd be cool if they tried to make new studio-only material though. But I'm not expecting it.

If Ged and/or Alex want to go and record and perform, more power to them, but without the three of them, it won't be Rush. They could cover some Rush though.

What do you call the album they did before Fly By Night? What do you call the band for that album?

I'm just busting your balls. But at the same time, did Rutsey actually not exist? Did that debut album not exist?

Look at the sports franchise the Toronto Maple Leafs. They weren't always the Maple Leafs, originally they were the Toronto Arenas, then the St. Patricks. After a very brief existence with those names, they renamed as the Maple Leafs and stayed that way for 90 years now.

Back in 1927, when they rebranded themselves, there wasn't the enormous history and recognition with that name.

Now though, if the Maple Leafs tried to change their brand or public image, it'd be wildly unpopular. It's unimaginable.

Rush's original image may not have been with Peart, but he's been a part of the brand for long enough that the two are now inseparable. A rebranding would be unrecognizable, and lose its novelty, whether or not its in its original form.

And you're comparing a band to a pro team that's been in existence around 100 years with a never ending cycle of changing players. But ok, sports....What about the Raiders in the NFL? Those are some die hard fans. Oakland? L.A.? Oakland? L.A.? Has that mattered all that much? Did Raiders fans give up watching because they moved? And then again?

I'd bet all kinds of money that every TRFer here would buy the next Rush album regardless if Peart was on it. Even the cheap bastards would download and download and download. But we'd all listen to it. Additionally, I'd bet that every TRFer (that could get to a gig and afford it + didn't think Geddy's voice is shot) would see them live regardless of Peart. Most would bitch about SOMETHING but we'd all dish out the dough.

I read your first sentence of your second paragraph. I wasn't meaning to be combative, just conversational. But I also realize that there are those floating around this board who aren't okay with Rush's current status, and are quite upset about Peart's retirement.

My point about the sports teams was branding. If the branding has been successful, you can't change the branding and expect a positive response.

All good. Doesn't really matter anyway since this scenario probably won't happen.

You say that now. But IF Geddy & Alex actually did continue with the Rush name, you'd be there if money or transport weren't an issue. I'm not saying this will happen, it almost definitely won't happen. I'm just guessing what you would do if so.

Nope. If Neil is not there I am not there.

Nope. If Neil is not there I am not there.

Oh ok. I forget that you always do what you say. Uh huh

Here's what was actually said for everyone here who likes to think they have psychic superpowers and post "what they really meant to say was....." In a nutshell (with plenty of paraphrasing)....Alex: "We're adjusting this past year and getting used to the idea (what idea? Who knows for sure? Maybe the idea that they'll never tour again. Maybe the idea that Rush is possibly permanently retired. Could be either), but we (I'll go on a limb and not include Neil in "we") can't just stop playing and writing music on a dime". Geddy: "I play as much as I can, and I'm sure the right thing will happen at some point." "The right thing" could be another project coming along that he does or he and Alex have a little friendly visit with Neil to reconnect and catch up, and they all feel a yearning to try to write some songs together. The clear message is that Geddy and Alex still do not feel they are done, and one way or another they seem to think more is to come in some form, whether it's Rush or some other thing. Whether it's Rush with Neil, Geddy and Alex together without Neil or Geddy and Alex doing their own projects separately or some combination of these three scenarios is totally up in the air. Enjoy the ongoing lack of certainty about how it plays out. I for one am guessing (yes, it's a guess at the end of the day, and I may be wrong) that Neil will want to bang on some drums at some point, if nothing else to avoid falling apart physically from being too sedentary, and he continues to write, so lyrical ideas and concepts may happen along at some point too that he feels good about, and he may actually feel like putting that all together in a relaxed studio environment, which is many times less strenuous than touring a live show in every way, and doesn't need to involve leaving family for more than a work day. Edited by HalfwayToGone
  • Like 1

If Alex and Geddy really want to continue as Rush, they will give Neil some time (possibly years) before presenting him with an ultimatum. At that point, the only thing he'll be able to do is give them his blessing to carry on. I doubt if he would be selfish enough to argue against it.