Musical Cliches?

Polaris

12 bar blues is absolutey annoying to me. I can't stand listening to any of it, it's either some super-peppy BS with a generic blues solo or it's a very slow song that typically goes "I lost my girl *guitar lick* I said, I lost my girl *guitar lick*"

Also, I find it annoying when a metal song speeds up at the end. Usually the main/chorus riff repeats endlessly, the singer suddenly becomes passionate and screams the lyrics, and occasionally there'll be some stupid chanting to go a long with it.

or it's a very slow song that typically goes "I lost my girl *guitar lick* I said, I lost my girl *guitar lick*"

I'd bet a whole lot that without all of those slow and cliched blues songs, almost everything in your music collection would never have come into existence.

Just a hunch.

• Like 10

I only dislike musical cliches when they are used like cliches.

And yet you love so much clichéd hokey rubbish.

JOKING JOKING JOKING

You are bae.

What passes for Lynyrd Skynyrd these days is an entire cliche of a band. I saw the original band and let me tell you, these guys ain't Skynyrd. No more than a glorified bar band that wrap themselves in all the Southern rock cliches that exist......American flag draped around the singer, flicking guitar picks out at the audience after every song, volume up too loud, etc. etc., etc.......
  • Like 1

or it's a very slow song that typically goes "I lost my girl *guitar lick* I said, I lost my girl *guitar lick*"

I'd bet a whole lot that without all of those slow and cliched blues songs, almost everything in your music collection would never have come into existence.

Just a hunch.

I'm not denying it's massive influence but regardless, I'd rather not listen to it, haha.

Don't worry, Polaris, one of these days you'll be able to get your head out of your ass and stop hating the Blues.

I don't know if I ever hated the Blues, but I severely under appreciated it. It is a genre that is really easy to play. At its most basic core, it is 3 chords and a 5 or 6 note scale. But it is really, really hard to play it well. When you start adding and/or substituting jazz chords into a standard I-IV-V progression, and you start mixing minor and major pentatonic scales into fills and solos, the Blues can be as harmonically rich and complicated as any Progressive Rock masterpiece.

• Like 4

Also, I find it annoying when a metal song speeds up at the end. Usually the main/chorus riff repeats endlessly, the singer suddenly becomes passionate and screams the lyrics, and occasionally there'll be some stupid chanting to go a long with it.

Are you talking about Sweet Child of Mine and November Rain?

:LOL:

• Like 1

I didn't know having an opinion meant my head was stuck up my ass! :')

I see what ya mean when you do incorporate more music theory into it. As for that last part, nah. I've heard on it on countless songs but the names escape me.

Edited by Polaris
  • Like 2

I don't enjoy the blues either.

Big deal...it helped pave the way for the future of music.

But I don't like listening to most of it.

But I'm glad it exists. Both for its influence and for those who love it.

• Like 2

It's no cliché when Stevie Ray Vaughan or Roy Buchanan can bring a person to tears with just a few of those notes

12 bars, 12/8 time, 2 Minutes To Midnight - who cares, it's only rock and roll

I need simplicity sometimes - it allows me to be a part of what is happening ..

• Like 6

Roy Buchanan

Shamefully underrated- good call, Lucas.

In the simplest of vocabulary, Roy is able to remind me of all those people I've lost, all the love that needs to come out, all those dreams, and he's able to convince me that it's going to be OK

Can't think of a better gift a musician can give a person

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swX9oq6TVAU

• Like 1

12 bar blues is absolutey annoying to me. I can't stand listening to any of it, it's either some super-peppy BS with a generic blues solo or it's a very slow song that typically goes "I lost my girl *guitar lick* I said, I lost my girl *guitar lick*"

it depends who's playing that 12 bar blues..

And it depends on the metal song in question.

• Like 1

The dropped D tuning / seven string guitar thing that bands do in an attempt to sound heavy

***** ******* ****** that is awful

Most of it sounds off key wrong. I think Steve Vai was the first well known guitarist to use a 7 string guitar and it didn't really add anything to his music. He could have played everything with a six string. And he eventually did go back to a six string.

• Like 1

The dropped D tuning / seven string guitar thing that bands do in an attempt to sound heavy

Most of it sounds off key wrong. I think Steve Vai was the first well known guitarist to use a 7 string guitar and it didn't really add anything to his music. He could have played everything with a six string. And he eventually did go back to a six string.

It's as bad and cliché as all that modern faux country music that could all be the same one song

• Like 1

It's as bad and cliché as all that modern faux country music that could all be the same one song

The thing is it's just an extra bass note, a lower B I think or A, and to me it serves no purpose. The way I hear it just gets in the way of the true sound of the instrument. Cluttered is the best way to describe it. And there's a grating tone with it that gets on the nerves and it doesn't make it "heavier" at all.

I don't agree at all, but by the looks of it I'm drawing the line at 8 string guitars.

I can understand your resentment for 7 string guitars, but what's wrong with drop D tuning? Here's a guy who mended his style around it and accomplishes a lot of cool things:

• Like 1