Who here actually saw Star Wars Episode IV in 1977?

Maverick

First we didn't call it a Episode IV A New Hope. Anyway it's opening day around 11am May, 1977 in Manhattan and the line is three hours long. I'm with my Step Monster who dragged me to this thing. My dad is working. I'm ten years old and don't tolerate long lines well. My bitching went something like this...

Me: how much longer???

Ann: I'm not sure.

Me: ohhhh, what is this?

Ann: Star Wars

Me: What's that???

Ann: it's science fiction

Now my eyes roll, my feet stomp and audible bitching sounds are made, I'm in total brat mode. At this point in my life, barely ten years old, science fiction means Star Trek, boring fake styrofoam rock Star Trek.

Me: I hate science fiction.

I would bitch for two more hours in the queue. The theater is dark I'm feeling sleepy then boom the score begins and the logo appears, the star destroyer rumbles onto the screen as if over my head. My life is never the same. I'd go see it 36 more times.

Today I really dig Star Trek. I'll go see the Force Awakens Saturday morning because adult life leaves very little in the way options. I was sour on episodes 1-3 seeing each only once, Lucas once a hero now a villain, but this new film I'm jacked for like it's 1977 all over again.

Edited by JohnRogers
  • Like 3

who will be the first one to see the new movie? I see it 9am on Friday--my company is renting an entire theater and treating us and our families to it.

I'm not a nerd. I'll see once the hype has died down. :LOL:
  • Like 1

It's the first movie I remember watching in the cinema. I was a couple of months shy of 5.

I remember:

- being scared of the Tusken raiders

- being scared of Vader

- loving Chewbacca and liking Han Solo

- being excited by the Death Star battle scene

- not completely understanding what C3PO was saying all the time

• Like 1

It's the first movie I remember watching in the cinema. I was a couple of months shy of 5.

I remember:

- being scared of Vader

I remember seeing Jaws and Rocky before seeing Star Wars.

I was afraid of Chewbacca in the commercials. I was really relieved when he turned out to be one of the good guys.

:LOL:

First we didn't call it a Episode IV A New Hope. Anyway it's opening day around 11am May, 1977 in Manhattan and the line is three hours long. I'm with my Step Monster who dragged me to this thing. My dad is working. I'm ten years old and don't tolerate long lines well. My bitching went something like this...

Now my eyes roll, my feet stomp and audible bitching sounds are made, I'm in total brat mode. At this point in my life, barely ten years old, science fiction means Star Trek, boring fake styrofoam rock Star Trek.

I would bitch for two more hours in the queue. The theater is dark I'm feeling sleepy then boom the score begins and the logo appears, the star destroyer rumbles onto the screen as if over my head. My life is never the same. I'd go see it 36 more times.

Today I really dig Star Trek. I'll go see the Force Awakens Saturday morning because adult life leaves very little in the way options. I was sour on episodes 1-3 seeing each only once, Lucas once a hero now a villain, but this new film I'm jacked for like it's 1977 all over again.

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff508/blackcc/7lZwLKc_zpsq47w8vvq.jpg

You are now winning this thread!

We all just called it Star Wars (I had just turned 8 years old) and we wondered why it was "Episode IV."

• Like 2

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff508/blackcc/7lZwLKc_zpsq47w8vvq.jpg

You are now winning this thread!

We all just called it Star Wars (I had just turned 8 years old) and we wondered why it was "Episode IV."

Same. I STILL don't call it "A New Hope." I just say "the first original one" or "the non-shitty first one."

• Like 3

I remember:

- being scared of Vader

I was afraid of Chewbacca in the commercials. I was really relieved when he turned out to be one of the good guys.

My mother took me to see Jaws when I was eight. :wtf: That scene where the shark tooth is taken from the boat and the corpse head slides into view...sleepless nights yo.

• Like 3

I remember:

- being scared of Vader

My mother took me to see Jaws when I was eight. :wtf: That scene where the shark tooth is taken from the boat and the corpse head slides into view...sleepless nights yo.

Saw Amityville Horror with my parents when I was 6 or 7. Was scared of the dark for a few years after that.

• Like 1

I remember:

- being scared of Vader

Saw Amityville Horror with my parents when I was 6 or 7. Was scared of the dark for a few years after that.

My mom's a character. At the time she used to tell me, "Why are you scared? It was just a movie. Go to the light switch and turn it on." I remind her of those times now and she just says, "No, you're crazy. It's your imagination. I'd never say that to you." :LOL:

She took me to horror movies IF it had some Christian/satanic basis. So I saw the Omen on tv then Omen 3 in the cinema a year or two later when I was in 2nd or 3rd grade. I didn't really want to see them, she did. She never took me to Friday the 13th or stuff like that...I saw those with older bros posing as my much older uncles.

• Like 1

I saw it in the theatre back then.

I also saw all three again in the theatre when they were re-released about 18-19 years ago.

Same here. And 18-19 years ago I thought, "Why the hell was that added?" All those additions never helped. They either didn't matter or made it worse. Again, as I said in the other thread, I blame George Lucas for any fuckup or misunderstanding.

• Like 1

I also saw all three again in the theatre when they were re-released about 18-19 years ago.

Same here. And 18-19 years ago I thought, "Why the hell was that added?" All those additions never helped. They either didn't matter or made it worse. Again, as I said in the other thread, I blame George Lucas for any fuckup or misunderstanding.

HAN SHOT FIRST!

• Like 5

I saw the re-released Episodes IV and V, but I skipped seeing VI. I just didn't like what George Lucas did to the originals.

• Like 2