r40 worst live version to point of embarrssing..

148 replies to this topic

#21 Todem

Todem

Brosaucerous

• Members
  • 2219 posts
  • Interests:Playing guitar, writing,recording and performing music, coaching and playing baseball, golf, tennis, stocks, playing video games, spending as much time as I can with my wife and son.

Posted 22 November 2015 - 06:02 PM

Well as any musician will tell you.....the newer the material the more gusto you have for it. Plus it is well documented how much Neil and Geddy love their catalog from Waves to the present.

I felt both times I saw the show both set's sizzled. But also keep in mind...these are 60 plus year old guys....they are freaking tired by the middle of set two. LOL.

All this BS about Neil and he is the reason.....who cares. They are really old. I think this tour is the perfect ending to their touring careers. Really it truly was.

I have watched the Blue Ray a couple of times already reliving the tour again with a huge smile on my face. They really gave me as a 35 year plus fan all I could ever want live since 1996/97. They really brought out the heavyweights throughout all those tours, the evening with format etc.

It's over. I know Geddy wants to tour again. I think Alex could care less. And Neil is done. It's over.

Let it go Rush fans. Just let it go. They are well past their prime. I am amazed how well they played the last two tours in their elder years. Their music is extremely physically demanding.....it really is.

I want R40 as my lasting memory of how it came to an end. It was perfect.

Sponsored Post

#22 BloodofTheZodiac

BloodofTheZodiac

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 06:43 PM

View PostTodem, on 22 November 2015 - 06:02 PM, said:

Well as any musician will tell you.....the newer the material the more gusto you have for it. Plus it is well documented how much Neil and Geddy love their catalog from Waves to the present.

I felt both times I saw the show both set's sizzled. But also keep in mind...these are 60 plus year old guys....they are freaking tired by the middle of set two. LOL.

All this BS about Neil and he is the reason.....who cares. They are really old. I think this tour is the perfect ending to their touring careers. Really it truly was.

I have watched the Blue Ray a couple of times already reliving the tour again with a huge smile on my face. They really gave me as a 35 year plus fan all I could ever want live since 1996/97. They really brought out the heavyweights throughout all those tours, the evening with format etc.

It's over. I know Geddy wants to tour again. I think Alex could care less. And Neil is done. It's over.

Let it go Rush fans. Just let it go. They are well past their prime. I am amazed how well they played the last two tours in their elder years. Their music is extremely physically demanding.....it really is.

I want R40 as my lasting memory of how it came to an end. It was perfect.

Well said and I 100% agree. I'm 30 and only got into them in 2007, but I made the best of it and saw them 11 times throughout the last 4 tours and 4 times on R40.

I have all their albums, and live videos. I love the R40 Bluray and I'm not gonna even bother to nit pick about anything about the film.

I'm at peace if I never see them live again. It's the perfect time for them to be done, and there's really no point for them to continue on. It's a bit sad, but it happens to every band and human. Things end, people die, life goes on. I'm just glad they made a comeback after Neil's tragedies. If not...I probably wouldn't be as big of a fan as I am. Having the opportunity to see them live a bunch of times and having the DVD's/Blurays for the last 6 tours helped a lot with falling in love with them.

#23 garyg7133

garyg7133

The Seeker

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 07:28 PM

So clearly there is a lot of setlist bashing over song x or song y. Personally I saw how it is in newark and it was great. The r40l performance was not AS good but if you hate the song (much the way I hate jacob's ladder)  then there isn't anything that can be done other than skip. My theory though is that over the last 3 or 4 tours, they have clearly attempted to document DIFFERENT songs than the ones that they have beaten to death ovet the past 20 or so years. I am happy to hear losing it,how it is, and happy for the fanboys that finally got to hear jl. I was also happy to hear Entre Nous and Presto. Go back and look at how many they dug out and just be friggin happy that they documented all of it.

#24 fraroc

fraroc

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2460 posts
  • Interests:Rock music, roller coasters, aviation, writing novels,

Posted 22 November 2015 - 07:53 PM

Friendly reminder that How It Is is from Vapor Trails and that it's not really worth your time (unless you like VT)

#25 Union 5-3992

Union 5-3992

A Pale Boy with only Half a Brain

• Members *
  • 21061 posts
  • Location:The rich and sunny planet Ursa Minor Beta (or Buffalo NY)

Posted 22 November 2015 - 08:03 PM

View Postfraroc, on 22 November 2015 - 07:53 PM, said:

Friendly reminder that How It Is is from Vapor Trails and that it's not really worth your time (unless you like VT)
Have you even listened to Vapor Trails

#26 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21764 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 22 November 2015 - 08:17 PM

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 22 November 2015 - 05:54 PM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 22 November 2015 - 05:49 PM, said:

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 22 November 2015 - 05:37 PM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 22 November 2015 - 05:29 PM, said:

View Postrugen, on 22 November 2015 - 04:17 PM, said:

It's a bad song, so don't much care how it came out on the dvd, the first set is pretty disappointing for me

I kind of agree.  It was a waste of time in the concert. They could've played something like Turn The Page or Cut To The Chase instead which would've really perked up the first set.
Sure, they COULD have played Cut to the Chase, but really, who's bladder is THAT week?

Not sure I know what you mean?
CTTC is the very definition of a bathroom break song, but would be too early in the concert to be useful.

If you say so. I like them or I wouldn't have mentioned them. Personally I would say anything from Vapor Trails is a bathroom song.

#27 nicky6

nicky6

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 682 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 08:29 PM

Wouldn't it be cool if with the technogly today and HD blu-rays pro shots. if we had shows full from 1978-1982, that would be so killer....

#28 bathory

bathory

Book Würm

• Members *
  • 9561 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 08:32 PM

how it is was included entirely for the band (or at least neil and geddy, since alex seems to be the one who likes the 70s shit the most)...there was zero energy during that one at the atlanta show. I heard live crickets hopping around on the lawn. sales of beer reached an all-time high, and so many people went to go piss at once that the amphitheatre's plumbing system was destroyed

#29 Union 5-3992

Union 5-3992

A Pale Boy with only Half a Brain

• Members *
  • 21061 posts
  • Location:The rich and sunny planet Ursa Minor Beta (or Buffalo NY)

Posted 22 November 2015 - 08:34 PM

View Postbathory, on 22 November 2015 - 08:32 PM, said:

how it is was included entirely for the band (or at least neil and geddy, since alex seems to be the one who likes the 70s shit the most)...there was zero energy during that one at the atlanta show. I heard live crickets hopping around on the lawn. sales of beer reached an all-time high, and so many people went to go piss at once that the amphitheatre's plumbing system was destroyed
There was a polite golf clap for it at the Buffalo show

#30 bordercollie

bordercollie

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 651 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 08:35 PM

View Postnicky6, on 22 November 2015 - 08:29 PM, said:

Wouldn't it be cool if with the technogly today and HD blu-rays pro shots. if we had shows full from 1978-1982, that would be so killer....
So we could gripe about all the bum notes Geddy sang back in that era as well?

#31 jamie

jamie

The Biggest Thing Since Powdered TOST

• Members
  • 12162 posts
  • Interests:cats, dogs, sleeping, steve harris, bass players with long brown hair

Posted 22 November 2015 - 08:50 PM

i havent seen any r40 footage yet but when i saw them it was towards the end of the tour and they kicked ass.

#32 bathory

bathory

Book Würm

• Members *
  • 9561 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 09:04 PM

View PostUnion 5-3992, on 22 November 2015 - 08:34 PM, said:

View Postbathory, on 22 November 2015 - 08:32 PM, said:

There was a polite golf clap for it at the Buffalo show

that's pretty funny. :lol:

#33 canadianice

canadianice

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2959 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 09:06 PM

View Postnicky6, on 22 November 2015 - 01:24 PM, said:

has to be "how it is" not a bad song. but geddy ruins it.. horrible singing... hope you people don't think hes a better singer than don Henley or anyone else in that  range..
  Henley is a perfect example of the old saying " money can,t buy you happiness".

#34 Todem

Todem

Brosaucerous

• Members
  • 2219 posts
  • Interests:Playing guitar, writing,recording and performing music, coaching and playing baseball, golf, tennis, stocks, playing video games, spending as much time as I can with my wife and son.

Posted 22 November 2015 - 09:31 PM

View Postgaryg7133, on 22 November 2015 - 07:28 PM, said:

So clearly there is a lot of setlist bashing over song x or song y. Personally I saw how it is in newark and it was great. The r40l performance was not AS good but if you hate the song (much the way I hate jacob's ladder)  then there isn't anything that can be done other than skip. My theory though is that over the last 3 or 4 tours, they have clearly attempted to document DIFFERENT songs than the ones that they have beaten to death ovet the past 20 or so years. I am happy to hear losing it,how it is, and happy for the fanboys that finally got to hear jl. I was also happy to hear Entre Nous and Presto. Go back and look at how many they dug out and just be friggin happy that they documented all of it.

I agree with most of your post except fanboys got JL? Bro.....ahhhhh never mind.

All of us got got so many great deep nuggets ever since they started the "Evening With" format.

But How It Is was for them (the band)......believe me. Not the fans. I can name 12 songs 99% of the so called fan boys would have rather heard live than How It Is. LOL. But if you love that song.....awesome for you. You fan boys of How It Is got your wish. Us "Fan Boys" of Jacobs Ladder (A classic by most of us Rush fans and a freaking jam live) got that delicious taste of Rush awesome sauce.

:haz:

Edited by Todem, 22 November 2015 - 09:33 PM.

#35 Todem

Todem

Brosaucerous

• Members
  • 2219 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 09:35 PM

View Postbordercollie, on 22 November 2015 - 08:35 PM, said:

View Postnicky6, on 22 November 2015 - 08:29 PM, said:

So we could gripe about all the bum notes Geddy sang back in that era as well?

Right? He has never been a great singer live..come on now we all know that. And I have heard him horrific back in the 80's. Once he started using in-ear monitors I heard a noticeable improvement in his vocals. Their stage sound before the advent of those awesome devices was so freaking loud....a huge challenge to sing with the sheer power and force of their stage sound back in the day. Plus they were on the road 300 days a year to boot.

Edited by Todem, 22 November 2015 - 11:05 PM.

#36 PolarizeMe

PolarizeMe

Vapor Trail

• Members
  • 18291 posts
  • Interests:NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Posted 22 November 2015 - 10:18 PM

View PostUnion 5-3992, on 22 November 2015 - 08:03 PM, said:

View Postfraroc, on 22 November 2015 - 07:53 PM, said:

Have you even listened to Vapor Trails
That's the million dollar question, the same can apply to if he has even listened to Hemispheres.

#37 PolarizeMe

PolarizeMe

Vapor Trail

• Members
  • 18291 posts
  • Interests:NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Posted 22 November 2015 - 10:22 PM

Personally though, it was a nice change of pace to see a song like How It Is in the set and while I my tastes in Rush songs I like are questionable as I do like How It Is for what it is, I think a song like Vapor Trail would've probably been a more likable choice. Then again, I would've preferred if the band skipped VT altogether if it meant we would've had something like Prime Mover instead.

But when I saw them in NYC, I got One Little Victory instead and enjoyed the pyro show at the conclusion of the song so whatever!

#38 LedRush

LedRush

The Counterparts Remain The Same

• Members *
  • 24833 posts
  • Interests:Family, guitar, classic video games, Ted Nugent, non-fiction books

Posted 23 November 2015 - 12:04 AM

It's a bad song, so don't much care how it came out on the dvd, the first set is pretty disappointing for me

I kind of agree.  It was a waste of time in the concert. They could've played something like Turn The Page or Cut To The Chase instead which would've really perked up the first set.

As a rule, everything you say is wrong or overly negative.  This post is a prime example of both.

#39 Digital Dad

Digital Dad

The Dad Abides

• Members
  • 10260 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 12:17 AM

View PostPolarizeMe, on 22 November 2015 - 10:22 PM, said:

Personally though, it was a nice change of pace to see a song like How It Is in the set and while I my tastes in Rush songs I like are questionable as I do like How It Is for what it is, I think a song like Vapor Trail would've probably been a more likable choice. Then again, I would've preferred if the band skipped VT altogether if it meant we would've had something like Prime Mover instead.

But when I saw them in NYC, I got One Little Victory instead and enjoyed the pyro show at the conclusion of the song so whatever!

The odds of them playing Prime Mover, regardless of anything off VT being played are highly improbable.

#40 Digital Dad

Digital Dad

The Dad Abides

• Members
  • 10260 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 12:18 AM

View PostLedRush, on 23 November 2015 - 12:04 AM, said:

As a rule, everything you say is wrong or overly negative.  This post is a prime example of both.

I don't see how this post had either attribute. CTTC would have been fuckign SICK

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users