r40 worst live version to point of embarrssing..

nicky6

has to be "how it is" not a bad song. but geddy ruins it.. horrible singing... hope you people don't think hes a better singer than don Henley or anyone else in that range..

I don't even think its a good song so it couldn't be ruined much worse for me anyway... :eh:
  • Like 9

has to be "how it is" not a bad song. but geddy ruins it.. horrible singing... hope you people don't think hes a better singer than don Henley or anyone else in that range..

I think I need to pass a nickname onto you from another poster. I am now going to call you Shirley.

Shirley you can't be serious.

• Like 10

Really? What did you expect? He's old and his vocal chords are tired. It's stupid to critisize him under these circumstances and compare him to other singers, while his singing is not in top shape, not because of poor technique, but because of his age.

Many of the fans here are dissapointed in Geddy's vocals because of ridiciously high expectations, which is interesting because we all KNOW what Geddy's singing condition these days is. Which is surprisingly new to some people..

I did not expect too much of him, therefore I really enjoyed watching both Toronto shows on the tour.

Edited by Sticklight
  • Like 4

How It Is isn't my favorite performance on the DVD, but it had some much needed life that's missing on the studio version

It was amazing live. I never liked the song on record - but at the show in Newark I was quite impressed. I like it a bit less on R40L, but it's still better, IMO than the studio version.

• Like 2

It's a bad song, so don't much care how it came out on the dvd, the first set is pretty disappointing for me

I kind of agree. It was a waste of time in the concert. They could've played something like Turn The Page or Cut To The Chase instead which would've really perked up the first set.

• Like 5

I don't disagree with the OP about the performance on the official R40 release.

Clearly for me the absolute lowlight of the entire set. And it is not even close. Falls completely flat on it's face.....automatic skip now for me.

It's a bad song, so don't much care how it came out on the dvd, the first set is pretty disappointing for me

I kind of agree. It was a waste of time in the concert. They could've played something like Turn The Page or Cut To The Chase instead which would've really perked up the first set.

Energywise the first set torched set 2 on all 3 occasions I saw them. It was weird
  • Like 3

Sure, they COULD have played Cut to the Chase, but really, who's bladder is THAT week?

• Like 2

Sure, they COULD have played Cut to the Chase, but really, who's bladder is THAT week?

Not sure I know what you mean?

Energywise the first set torched set 2 on all 3 occasions I saw them. It was weird

You're right. Set one did go up in flames and burnt to a crisp.

• Like 1

Not sure I know what you mean?

CTTC is the very definition of a bathroom break song, but would be too early in the concert to be useful.

• Like 1

Well as any musician will tell you.....the newer the material the more gusto you have for it. Plus it is well documented how much Neil and Geddy love their catalog from Waves to the present.

I felt both times I saw the show both set's sizzled. But also keep in mind...these are 60 plus year old guys....they are freaking tired by the middle of set two. LOL.

All this BS about Neil and he is the reason.....who cares. They are really old. I think this tour is the perfect ending to their touring careers. Really it truly was.

I have watched the Blue Ray a couple of times already reliving the tour again with a huge smile on my face. They really gave me as a 35 year plus fan all I could ever want live since 1996/97. They really brought out the heavyweights throughout all those tours, the evening with format etc.

It's over. I know Geddy wants to tour again. I think Alex could care less. And Neil is done. It's over.

Let it go Rush fans. Just let it go. They are well past their prime. I am amazed how well they played the last two tours in their elder years. Their music is extremely physically demanding.....it really is.

I want R40 as my lasting memory of how it came to an end. It was perfect.

• Like 10

Well as any musician will tell you.....the newer the material the more gusto you have for it. Plus it is well documented how much Neil and Geddy love their catalog from Waves to the present.

I felt both times I saw the show both set's sizzled. But also keep in mind...these are 60 plus year old guys....they are freaking tired by the middle of set two. LOL.

All this BS about Neil and he is the reason.....who cares. They are really old. I think this tour is the perfect ending to their touring careers. Really it truly was.

I have watched the Blue Ray a couple of times already reliving the tour again with a huge smile on my face. They really gave me as a 35 year plus fan all I could ever want live since 1996/97. They really brought out the heavyweights throughout all those tours, the evening with format etc.

It's over. I know Geddy wants to tour again. I think Alex could care less. And Neil is done. It's over.

Let it go Rush fans. Just let it go. They are well past their prime. I am amazed how well they played the last two tours in their elder years. Their music is extremely physically demanding.....it really is.

I want R40 as my lasting memory of how it came to an end. It was perfect.

Well said and I 100% agree. I'm 30 and only got into them in 2007, but I made the best of it and saw them 11 times throughout the last 4 tours and 4 times on R40.

I have all their albums, and live videos. I love the R40 Bluray and I'm not gonna even bother to nit pick about anything about the film.

I'm at peace if I never see them live again. It's the perfect time for them to be done, and there's really no point for them to continue on. It's a bit sad, but it happens to every band and human. Things end, people die, life goes on. I'm just glad they made a comeback after Neil's tragedies. If not...I probably wouldn't be as big of a fan as I am. Having the opportunity to see them live a bunch of times and having the DVD's/Blurays for the last 6 tours helped a lot with falling in love with them.

• Like 4

So clearly there is a lot of setlist bashing over song x or song y. Personally I saw how it is in newark and it was great. The r40l performance was not AS good but if you hate the song (much the way I hate jacob's ladder) then there isn't anything that can be done other than skip. My theory though is that over the last 3 or 4 tours, they have clearly attempted to document DIFFERENT songs than the ones that they have beaten to death ovet the past 20 or so years. I am happy to hear losing it,how it is, and happy for the fanboys that finally got to hear jl. I was also happy to hear Entre Nous and Presto. Go back and look at how many they dug out and just be friggin happy that they documented all of it.
  • Like 5