RS: Geddy & Alex answer Fan Questions

Union 5-3992

It's starting to feel like geddy is pressuring Neil through these interviews with the way he answers the touring questions. Guilt trip.

I'm willing to bet Neil never even watches it. There's at least a decent chance he'll never know or care this video even exists.

Another way of saying it is that it feels like a small window into a rift between them that is bigger than we think.

Maybe, who knows. They're old, and getting older. The fundamental difference between "I want to play while I still can" and "I'm tired and want to enjoy not playing while I still can" is pretty big, and would cause a rift between anybody, let alone people at such crucial points in their lives.

I feel like they should just settle on new music. It still lets them play and be creative, but isn't a long-term commitment for Neil. I don't blame Neil at all for not wanting to go through the mental and physical exhaustion of playing the same songs for the millionth time (with a few surprises thrown in, of course). But I also don't blame Geddy for feeling good, feeling healthy, and wanting to strike while the iron's hot. Neil (and probably Alex) must just not feel as good or healthy about it.

It's starting to feel like geddy is pressuring Neil through these interviews with the way he answers the touring questions. Guilt trip.

I had a similar post typed up this morning and decided not to post it.

I've been getting that impression too. I think that the two of them, more so Geddy, really want to go back out on the road, and I do think that they are trying to get Neil to go too. Neil must have left the door open a bit though for them to be doing this. Or else they're just annoyed at him.

I also get the impression that Geddy is the most bothered by all of this.

As we fans so often do, we inject our personal interpretations of what the Boys say. IMO, we shouldn't conclude anything based on the small bits of info we get.

I haven't seen anything new regarding the Boys' attitudes about continuing on. Geddy wants to keep going (recording and touring), Neil doesn't want to tour anymore, and Alex is fine either way. Like Geddy said in this most recent interview, they're not on the same page. That's not a "rift". It's merely their current status.

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 5

I had a similar post typed up this morning and decided not to post it.

I've been getting that impression too. I think that the two of them, more so Geddy, really want to go back out on the road, and I do think that they are trying to get Neil to go too. Neil must have left the door open a bit though for them to be doing this. Or else they're just annoyed at him.

I also get the impression that Geddy is the most bothered by all of this.

As we fans so often do, we inject our personal interpretations of what the Boys say. IMO, we shouldn't conclude anything based on the small bits of info we get.

I haven't seen anything new regarding the Boys' attitudes about continuing on. Geddy wants to keep going (regarding and touring), Neil doesn't want to tour anymore, and Alex is fine either way. Like Geddy said in this most recent interview, they're not on the same page. That's not a "rift". It's merely their current status.

I think they're being as honest as they can be about it. They don't know what Neil might want to do down the road, but obviously the two of them want to start writing music again, like they said.

• Like 3

I do like that they're optimistic about writing a new album. I want to see where they go from CA since I enjoyed that most out of the recent albums. Hopefully they use Botrill from now on...

That what I'm saying. Keep making new music and play live at your leisure. Neil will join his buds in the studio and on stage again just not on extended tour.

Touring sucks when already have everything you want...or, when you have other interests.

They will release new music with Neil, but tour with a different drummer.

Edited by Tombstone Mountain
  • Like 1

Ha, what lousy avatar you have!

Well I am glad Ged and Al are still getting along. As for the other guy .....I wouldn't want to be known as the guy who broke up Rush.

My first choice is more new RUSH music and some form of tour.

Second, Geddy and Alex tour with new music not called RUSH.

Third, I'd go see Geddy tour in support of solo music hoping some RUSH would be played

Out of everyone here, I'm one of the least emotionally involved with Rush. My observations are objective. At least, I think they are. :unsure:

Maybe Ged and Al are just good public relations men and know what to say and how to say it. :huh:

I do like your objectivity. I try to be the same way. I like to think I succeed most of the time. ;)

• Like 1

Out of everyone here, I'm one of the least emotionally involved with Rush. My observations are objective. At least, I think they are. :unsure:

Maybe Ged and Al are just good public relations men and know what to say and how to say it. :huh:

I do like your objectivity. I try to be the same way. I like to think I succeed most of the time. ;)

:LOL:

• Like 1

It's very likely they don't want to shut the door on anything so they're not going to say anything that would imply that.

• Like 4

I am emotionally attached to their music - to a lot of music - but I'm not getting too emotionally twisted about their choices and their public selves. I try not to hate Peart or think he's a selfish prick, for example. It's not for me to say. They seem like cool dudes to me, but I'm sure they have their failings. I'd prefer to leave 'em alone.
  • Like 1

I'm willing to bet Neil never even watches it. There's at least a decent chance he'll never know or care this video even exists.

Another way of saying it is that it feels like a small window into a rift between them that is bigger than we think.

Maybe, who knows. They're old, and getting older. The fundamental difference between "I want to play while I still can" and "I'm tired and want to enjoy not playing while I still can" is pretty big, and would cause a rift between anybody, let alone people at such crucial points in their lives.

I feel like they should just settle on new music. It still lets them play and be creative, but isn't a long-term commitment for Neil. I don't blame Neil at all for not wanting to go through the mental and physical exhaustion of playing the same songs for the millionth time (with a few surprises thrown in, of course). But I also don't blame Geddy for feeling good, feeling healthy, and wanting to strike while the iron's hot. Neil (and probably Alex) must just not feel as good or healthy about it.

It's not just his drumming that takes a toll on him. Riding his bike from show to show is just as tiring if not more. If he were to take a bus or fly he'd get much more rest and be able to relax and read books.
  • Like 2

It's not just his drumming that takes a toll on him. Riding his bike from show to show is just as tiring if not more. If he were to take a bus or fly he'd get much more rest and be able to relax and read books.

I thought the same thing myself, but I can only assume that the joy he gets from riding must help get him through the tour so it's a trade-off he is willing to make.

• Like 2

I thought the same thing myself, but I can only assume that the joy he gets from riding must help get him through the tour so it's a trade-off he is willing to make.

Well, actually.... no it isn't.

I was only speculating. Unless someone actually spoke to him about it, they wouldn't know one way or the other.

It's not a trade-off he's willing to make?

• Like 1

He doesn't want to tour anymore.

And you think he would if he wasn't riding his motorcycle from show to show?

And you think he would if he wasn't riding his motorcycle from show to show?

I didn't say that. What I said speaks for itself.