Villains that actually scared you

Union 5-3992

http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/jaws-bruce.jpg

I was five when Jaws came out, and I'm still kind of afraid of open water.

You watched it when you were 5 years old? Seriously?

For me, the scariest scene is when Hooper is in the shark cage. I think I was 11 years old when I saw it.

When old man Ben Gardner's head came into view in his submerged boat...... :o :o

When Brody was dumping bait into the water, and the shark popped up to say HI..... :o :o :o

Those were shocking moments. Over and done in a second. The shark cage scene terrified me. The shark ripped the cage apart!

It may have taken just a second, but I saw Ben Gardner's head in my sleep for months...... :LOL:

I'm old enough to have seen it in the theater when it first came out, when Ben Gardner's head popped out, everyone in the theater jumped out of their seats.

I don't know if this qualifies but I remember being scared terribly as a kid by an old Vincent Price movie called The Tingler.

I grabbed this synopsis off of IMDB:

Dr. Warren Chapin is a pathologist who regularly conducts autopsies on executed prisoners at the State prison. He has a theory that fear is the result of a creature that inhabits all of us. His theory is that the creature is suppressed by our ability to scream when fear strikes us. He gets a chance to test his theories when he meets Ollie and Martha Higgins, who own and operate a second-run movie theater. Martha is deaf and mute and if she is unable to scream, extreme fear should make the creature, which Chapin has called the Tingler, come to life and grow. Using LSD to induce nightmares, he begins his experiment.

There's a scene in the movie where the Tingler is crawling along the floor in a crowded movie theater. That gave me nightmares for a long time.

Is that the one where they actually wired the seats in some theaters to vibrate a bit?

Yes. John Waters talks about it all the time.

John Waters' films, including Pink Flamingos, Polyester and Hairspray, have been described as raunchy, perverse and hilarious. The director has relished making audiences howl and cringe — often simultaneously.

So it comes as no surprise that Waters would pick a scene from a 1959 William Castle horror movie as one of his own favorites.

In The Tingler, starring Vincent Price, the monster is an organism that lives inside your body. As Waters describes it, "the Tingler... grows when you're frightened and the only way to kill it is to scream." In one scene, the Tingler gets loose in a movie theater.

In the real theater, the audience was sent jumping by buzzers wired under the seats. "Every kid went crazy," Waters tells NPR's Susan Stamberg. "It was cinema mayhem."

• Like 1

I don't know if this qualifies but I remember being scared terribly as a kid by an old Vincent Price movie called The Tingler.

I grabbed this synopsis off of IMDB:

Dr. Warren Chapin is a pathologist who regularly conducts autopsies on executed prisoners at the State prison. He has a theory that fear is the result of a creature that inhabits all of us. His theory is that the creature is suppressed by our ability to scream when fear strikes us. He gets a chance to test his theories when he meets Ollie and Martha Higgins, who own and operate a second-run movie theater. Martha is deaf and mute and if she is unable to scream, extreme fear should make the creature, which Chapin has called the Tingler, come to life and grow. Using LSD to induce nightmares, he begins his experiment.

There's a scene in the movie where the Tingler is crawling along the floor in a crowded movie theater. That gave me nightmares for a long time.

Is that the one where they actually wired the seats in some theaters to vibrate a bit?

Yes. John Waters talks about it all the time.

John Waters' films, including Pink Flamingos, Polyester and Hairspray, have been described as raunchy, perverse and hilarious. The director has relished making audiences howl and cringe — often simultaneously.

So it comes as no surprise that Waters would pick a scene from a 1959 William Castle horror movie as one of his own favorites.

In The Tingler, starring Vincent Price, the monster is an organism that lives inside your body. As Waters describes it, "the Tingler... grows when you're frightened and the only way to kill it is to scream." In one scene, the Tingler gets loose in a movie theater.

In the real theater, the audience was sent jumping by buzzers wired under the seats. "Every kid went crazy," Waters tells NPR's Susan Stamberg. "It was cinema mayhem."

Awesome! :LOL:

For me, the scariest scene is when Hooper is in the shark cage. I think I was 11 years old when I saw it.

" You go in the cage? Cage goes in the water? Shark in the water? 'Farewell and adieu unto you Spanish ladies...' "

Back to topic probably Moke, the albino hitman played by Dar Robinson in "Stick."

Edited by pjbear05

I was 9 or 10. I remember leaving the theater during the shark cage scene.

http://lunchat1130.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/nurse_ratched.jpg

I just jumped out of my Straitjacket

Even Louise Fletcher, the actress who won an Oscar for this performance, cannot watch the film....specifically because of her own character's cruelty..... :o

Nurse Ratched is a very unnerving chick..! :o

Even Louise Fletcher, the actress who won an Oscar for this performance, cannot watch the film....specifically because of her own character's cruelty..... :o

Trivia time - What acclaimed actress passed on the role?

Trivia time - What acclaimed actress passed on the role?

Patti d'Arbanville?

Darth Vader

When I was 10 years old seeing him for the very first time sent shivers down my spine.

Even with all of the back story--and the awful hayden christensen--Darth Vader still sparks my imagination and is what I think of as evil incarnate.

I wish I had been 10 when Star Wars arrived. I would have become a chronic, life-long Star Wars fanatic.

Alas, I was 18 when Episode IV came out, so I only became a normal, life-long Star Wars fanatic. ;) ;)

• Like 1

Darth Vader

When I was 10 years old seeing him for the very first time sent shivers down my spine.

Even with all of the back story--and the awful hayden christensen--Darth Vader still sparks my imagination and is what I think of as evil incarnate.

I wish I had been 10 when Star Wars arrived. I would have become a chronic, life-long Star Wars fanatic.

Alas, I was 18 when Episode IV came out, so I only became a normal, life-long Star Wars fanatic. ;) ;)

I was 5 when it came out. Saw it with my parents. Afterward my dad said to me, "That was a true story". Haha

• Like 1