T. Brown, the fourth member of classic Rush

toymaker

:blah: Attention all Solar Federalist members! Mick is gearing up for one of his infamous famous rants! Stand by.

:popcorn:

all i know is when i finish an album i want to have the same number of brain cells i had going in. and for my ears not to be tired. It's a simple request. I also want an album that has a point makes it and get's out.

Simple things boys........listen. Pretty please.

SIGH.....damn

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

Except for Presto and somewhat Roll The Bones, the majority of their albums have have had good clarity. It's just since Vapor Trails that things have gone downhill. At one time I thought maybe they were making their albums so noisy to hide some of Geddys vocals but his voice breaking still comes through, so that can't be it.

I agree that all of their albums before Vapor Trails had good clarity (I think even Presto and Roll the Bones do), but I don't think the Rupert Hines albums, for instance, are nearly as good as the Terry Brown or Peter Collins produced albums, for the most part. Again, some of the Hines' produced songs are incredible (like Dreamline or The Pass), but I think he allowed them to try too many stupid ideas (Hand Over Fist, Neurotica) and didn't get the best out of them. I think Terry Brown would have given them a good smack down if they had tried to put some of that crap on record. He's obviously not perfect (I Think I'm Going Bald), but I don't think he would've allowed them to become "hip-hop lite pop-metalists" either.

• Like 1

Perhaps ten years down the line, they'll give it the Vapor Trails treatment and we'll get a Clockwork Angels Remixed...and our man in Myrtle Beach (and in New York City, for that matter) will like it better.

:P

Was Nick...Rasputinowicz, or whatever his name is- was he the producer on Vapor Trails? I don't know, because I don't even own it anymore.

("Anymore"...haha...I think I owned it for about a month).

• Like 1

Was Nick...Rasputinowicz, or whatever his name is- was he the producer on Vapor Trails? I don't know, because I don't even own it anymore.

It was some dude named Paul Northfield. and Rush

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Mick

Ahh, so he was some tosser who they only used on one record. Genius!

• Like 1

Mick

Ahh, so he was some tosser who they only used on one record. Genius!

I'm not joking he made Nick R sound like a master on CA. CA is bad but VT is a crime.

Mick

• Like 1

I'm all for bringing Broone back . And as far as it being a fantasy I remember a time when talk of :rush: being in the RRHOF was also thought of in the same light. :7up: . I am a old curmudgeon . I want those great analog recording techniques again . And as far as synthesizers going out of tune ,They don't do that no more. In fact all of those keyboard fils are sampled now anyway. So lets get rocking !

:Alex: :Neil: :geddy:

• Like 2

I'm all for bringing Broone back . And as far as it being a fantasy I remember a time when talk of :rush: being in the RRHOF was also thought of in the same light. :7up: . I am a old curmudgeon . I want those great analog recording techniques again . And as far as synthesizers going out of tune ,They don't do that no more. In fact all of those keyboard fils are sampled now anyway. So lets get rocking !

Yeah! Let's get rockin' and let's have Rush go out with a bang! :bang bang:

• Like 3

Yeah! Let's get rockin' and let's have Rush go out with a bang! :bang bang:

All of this just amazes me. It's so hard to think that they've been around for over 40 years. Just seems like maybe 10 years ago I was buying AFTK when it came out. Where does the time go?

• Like 1

I remember John Lennon reacting angrily when a journalist in the '70s suggested that a large part of The Beatles' creativity was due to George Martin's influence, in light of what most thought were lesser individual efforts to that point. You could sense some defensiveness in Lennon's immediate response, which was kind of insulting and dismissive towards Martin (Lennon later apologized to Martin). I wonder if there is some degree of that among Rush; they might be wary at some level that if Brown came back for one more record and it was to some degree a return to the old form and was really well-received, some people might say, "See, their past greatness really was largely due to Terry's influence after all." Maybe Rush doesn't want to take a chance that they might vindicate that view in some minds (though it's obviously not that simple; Brown like Martin for The Beatles was one of many factors that shaped their sound; the '70s were as fertile ground for Rush's particular talents as the '60s were for those of The Beatles). Of course there might be a million other reasons they'd rather leave the past in the past. They might feel like Eddie Murphy looking back on Trading Places, feeling that he's outgrown John Landis' direction with some dismissiveness, even though that is arguably his best movie. Maybe Rush feels they've outgrown Terry despite most of us thinking that those were their best albums. When Neil dismisses most of his pre-MP lyrics, and Geddy dismisses old standards like Lakeside Park, I wonder if Rush curiously imagines they're now beyond what Terry can bring to the table. Not for my tastes for sure, but... Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1

It would be like a divorced couple reuniting many many years later, because they wanted to have another baby.

Not gonna happen!

I recall Neil writing in the P/G tour book that telling Broon was like breaking up with a girlfriend.

That was like 32 years ago.

They have had a few things go on since then.

I agree - extremely unlikely. Not that it wouldn't be good - Broon is excellent at what he does. But Rush has always been so self conscious about not repeating themselves, as Neil says "you can't go back" though they do indulge in some nostalgia on tour. For a new studio work, I can't see it.

Bottrill on the other hand - I could see that, and he is extremely talented at purifying a band's direction and sound.

• Like 1

you can't go back

A mantra that many have come to believe because it's been repeated over and over and over and over and over.

It's nonsense. You can go back in some ways.

Agreed- it's possible to go back, in some ways. And truthfully, I would be absolutely fascinated to know what a future Rush album, produced by Terry Brown, would sound like.

But I think it would have to be a unanimous decision (among the band members, and not the lot of us) to use him. If any one of the three of them didn't want to do that, I don't think there's any way it would happen.

They don't have to use him specifically. Surely he isn't the only record producer out there that's capable of good sound, is he?

No, he's surely not the only one. I think Steven Wilson would be fantastic, and there are others, too.

Full disclosure, I'm not that familiar with Terry Brown's work outside of Rush.

But, other than producing Rush's best albums, what are Terry Brown's greatest achievements?

I quickly looked up his discography and, honestly, it didn't contain any notable or "brilliant" work. Where are the standouts? Cutting Crew? Tiles? LIzzy Borden?

As I stated prevously, I honestly think that Terry Brown benefited more from working with Rush than Rush benefited working with Terry Brown

Could it be that the Terry Brown produced albums are better for the simple fact that they contain the best Rush songs?

But, other than producing Rush's best albums, what are Terry Brown's greatest achievements?

I quickly looked up his discography and, honestly, it didn't contain any notable or "brilliant" work. Where are the standouts? Cutting Crew? Tiles? LIzzy Borden?

As I stated prevously, I honestly think that Terry Brown benefited more from working with Rush than Rush benefited working with Terry Brown

Could it be that the Terry Brown produced albums are better for the simple fact that they contain the best Rush songs?

I agree that he has benefited from his association with the boys, but I think it comes down to the fact that he's a good producer. Those albums have the best clarity and are mixed so well. Good is good.

Can you imagine what those best Rush songs would have sounded like if the albums had been produced by whatshisname?