T. Brown, the fourth member of classic Rush

toymaker

Producers have to be controlling to a certain extent, lest the band produce itself and most bands (and Rush certainly falls into this category) tend to be too close to their own material to be objective enough to know what's good and what's shit.

Now I know why Geddy said what he said in the Rush book I have. Too lazy to get up and grab it to give you names of producers or the Rush album concerned, but they had lined up a producer who punked out on them at the last minute and they had to scramble to find another one who turned out to be a good producer but indecisive as hell and left all of the decisions up to Rush.

Producers have to be controlling to a certain extent, lest the band produce itself and most bands (and Rush certainly falls into this category) tend to be too close to their own material to be objective enough to know what's good and what's shit.

Now I know why Geddy said what he said in the Rush book I have. Too lazy to get up and grab it to give you names of producers or the Rush album concerned, but they had lined up a producer who punked out on them at the last minute and they had to scramble to find another one who turned out to be a good producer but indecisive as hell and left all of the decisions up to Rush.

Maybe p/g?

• Like 1

You're right, JARG - Grace Under Pressure, and the man who punked out on them was Steve Lillywhite, and the last minute replacement, Peter Henderson, Geddy said is "a very good engineer....Although a producer he is not."

"We went into the studio to start making the record, and we realized that he couldn't make a decision. So it was very frustrating because we had to make all the decisions all of a sudden....."

Edited by Lorraine

You're right, JARG - Grace Under Pressure, and the man who punked out on them was Steve Lillywhite, and the last minute replacement, Peter Henderson, Geddy said is "a very good engineer....Although a producer he is not."

"We went into the studio to start making the record, and we realized that he couldn't make a decision. So it was very frustrating because we had to make all the decisions all of a sudden....."

Good producers really do have to be a jack of all trades. Plus it really helps a lot if they "like" the bands music they're producing.