T. Brown, the fourth member of classic Rush

toymaker

Full disclosure, I'm not that familiar with Terry Brown's work outside of Rush.

But, other than producing Rush's best albums, what are Terry Brown's greatest achievements?

I quickly looked up his discography and, honestly, it didn't contain any notable or "brilliant" work. Where are the standouts? Cutting Crew? Tiles? LIzzy Borden?

As I stated prevously, I honestly think that Terry Brown benefited more from working with Rush than Rush benefited working with Terry Brown

Could it be that the Terry Brown produced albums are better for the simple fact that they contain the best Rush songs?

I agree that he has benefited from his association with the boys, but I think it comes down to the fact that he's a good producer. Those albums have the best clarity and are mixed so well. Good is good.

Not only that, he straightened out the mishmash of their first album. I don't know anything about what goes into producing an album, but from what I have read, even Rush was astounded at what he was able to do with that mess.

It depends. Who's whatshisname? There are lots of great producers.

I agree that Terry Brown is a good producer and I think he contributed, positively, to what is considered Rush's best era.

I just don't think he's the main reason it's condsidered Rush's best era.

And if they work with him again I don't necessarily believe Rush will sound better or write better songs.

Also, there are many highlights post-Terry Brown.

But, other than producing Rush's best albums, what are Terry Brown's greatest achievements?

I quickly looked up his discography and, honestly, it didn't contain any notable or "brilliant" work. Where are the standouts? Cutting Crew? Tiles? LIzzy Borden?

As I stated prevously, I honestly think that Terry Brown benefited more from working with Rush than Rush benefited working with Terry Brown

Could it be that the Terry Brown produced albums are better for the simple fact that they contain the best Rush songs?

I agree that he has benefited from his association with the boys, but I think it comes down to the fact that he's a good producer. Those albums have the best clarity and are mixed so well. Good is good.

Not only that, he straightened out the mishmash of their first album. I don't know anything about what goes into producing an album, but from what I have read, even Rush was astounded at what he was able to do with that mess.

I think David Bottrill greatly improved Vapor Trails. Maybe he should produce any future Rush albums.

Who's whatshisname?

The Snakes and CA producer.

I think Nick Raskulinecz did a good job on Snakes & Arrows and Clockwork Angels.

I don't think those albums are the sonic mess some make them out to be. They sound fine to my ears.

Who's whatshisname?

The Snakes and CA producer.

I think Nick Raskulinecz did a good job on Snakes & Arrows and Clockwork Angels.

I don't think those albums are the sonic mess some make them out to be. They sound fine to my ears.

Good for you. Not everyone here would agree with that.

As if we need any more proof how different we all are, the first VT sounds better to me than the remix. :LOL:

Edited by Lorraine

They don't have to use him specifically. Surely he isn't the only record producer out there that's capable of good sound, is he?

There are many talented producers out there, but the band that's working with them has to be willing to let those producers do their job. I get the feeling that Rush may have the attitude along the lines of "we've been doing this long enough that we know what's best for us".

Snakes & Arrows sounds good, but Nick lost something after that. A lot of stuff I've heard that he's produced since then doesn't sound great to me. CA, that Alice in Chains album, the newest Mastodon, Ghost's second album. Hell, the Ghost covers album that Dave Grohl produced sounds awesome. I'd take him over Nick at this point.

I think David Bottrill greatly improved Vapor Trails. Maybe he should produce any future Rush albums.

If only he can keep his hand off of the bass drum volume. That's my biggest annoyance about the VT remix.

Well, I've thought a lot about it, and I guess I do just want the 70s back again. Who doesn't miss the cold war, the oil crisis, ugly clothes, Star Wars mania, cocaine freaks, and Terry Brown producing Rush albums? Good times. But then it was kind of a lonely time for Rush fans, wasn't it?

Who doesn't miss the cold war, the oil crisis, ugly clothes, Star Wars mania, cocaine freaks, and Terry Brown producing Rush albums?

We still have ugly clothes. Still have wars. Still have an oil crisis of sorts. I'm not up on what's happening, but I guarantee you there is a mania for something around. No cocaine freaks, just crack heads and a resurgence of heroin use. The only thing missing is Terry.

The more things change, the more they remain the same.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

Who doesn't miss the cold war, the oil crisis, ugly clothes, Star Wars mania, cocaine freaks, and Terry Brown producing Rush albums?

We still have ugly clothes. Still have wars. Still have an oil crisis of sorts. I'm not up on what's happening, but I guarantee you there is a mania for something around. No cocaine freaks, just crack heads and a resurgence of heroin use. The only thing missing is Terry.

The more things change, the more they remain the same.

Yeah . . . sigh. But at least the arts and humanities were alive and well. As for clothes . . . I try not to buy ugly clothes, but in the 70s I didn't have a choice!

Terry Brown was certainly a key ingredient in the greatness that was the recipe of Rush in that era, but he was one ingredient. But there were other people involved in the process and there is also one factor that is often ignored: The SSL 4000 soundboard that once resided at Le Studio is, frankly, considered to have been a masterpiece.

Not considering the equipment is like suggesting Tony Stewart would win the Daytona 500 in a Prius.

He was unceremoniously dumped when Rush reached their pinnacle. Even after this tremendous misstep, there is still some "Terry-over" characteristics that are discernable on two subsequent albums.

A crack of sunlight has entered the basement...

Again, what has Terry Brown accomplished with his post-Rush career?

Honestly, I haven't heard anything that leads me to believe he's some sort of producing giant. Nothing.

Dear Lord, this is tiresome...

Not saying you might not have a point to some extent, but on the other hand, George Martin never did anything very notable outside The Beatles but that isn't really an argument that his contribution wasn't a key ingredient to their unparalleled success and influence. Phil Spector's Let it Be certainly shows that without Martin there is some magic missing. Like post-Brown Rush, there were many other things going on with The Beatles around the time of Let it Be, obviously, but still, the mating of Martin and The Beatles produced a whole greater than the sum of the parts; with Let it Be all you had was the sum of the parts (still pretty good parts, but not the same). I think the same is true of Terry Brown and Rush. I don't care if Terry Brown never did one thing apart from Rush, it is obvious to me that they were a special match; they were good for him and he was good for them; better than anyone else they've used obviously.

• Like 3

Honestly, I haven't heard anything that leads me to believe he's some sort of producing giant. Nothing.

Lets turn that question around. What has ged or alex, or evenneil for that matter accomplished while doing solo stints? Lame individual albums? Videos? These guys would be lost without each other and their support team. Terry was extricated from his element. He was the 4th member whether u want to believe or not. Ever hear those older prototypical songs played before they were released? They were a real effing mess! Don't understand why ppl want to undermine Terry's vast contributions.

Edited by GeminiRising79
  • Like 4

Dear Lord, this is tiresome...

Not saying you might not have a point to some extent, but on the other hand, George Martin never did anything very notable outside The Beatles but that isn't really an argument that his contribution wasn't a key ingredient to their unparalleled success and influence. Phil Spector's Let it Be certainly shows that without Martin there is some magic missing. Like post-Brown Rush, there were many other things going on with The Beatles around the time of Let it Be, obviously, but still, the mating of Martin and The Beatles produced a whole greater than the sum of the parts; with Let it Be all you had was the sum of the parts (still pretty good parts, but not the same). I think the same is true of Terry Brown and Rush. I don't care if Terry Brown never did one thing apart from Rush, it is obvious to me that they were a special match; they were good for him and he was good for them; better than anyone else they've used obviously.

In George Martin's defense, he had a considerable reputation before he produced the Beatles. Also, his work with Jeff Beck was very well respected.