Alex Lifeson vs Eddie Van Halen

vital signz

I had to vote for Eddie. Just because with these polls I really just go on technical ability, and I know Eddie can spin circles around Alex all day with some of what he does. Really talented player and has some really difficult stuff to play, but Alex, although he does whats best for the song and is really great at that, but Eddie is great at that too, and Alex doesnt really have much thats too complex. With polls I dont worry about what they do in their own bands, I just go on what they can do on their instrument.

Plus I like Eddie's creativeness. Plays guitars with powerdrills to create cool sounds, and plenty of other wacky stuff over the years that Alex never tried. Not surprised to see Eddie winning this one.

Thats something Ive always LOVED about Tom Morello from Rage. Very, VERY creative guitarist. I like that stuff.

My heart says Alex, but my fingers say Eddie.

INTERESTING SIDE NOTE: In 1984, EVH (1984 album) did NOT win guitarist of the year in 'Guitar For The Practicing Musician'..........he lost to some guy named Alex Lifeson (Grace Under Pressure album)..............

99% sure it was GFTPM, but it may have been 'Guitar Player'.

Interesting topic. Some thoughts; For as much as I love Alex, he should have never gotten past Steve Howe. Not sure I would put him past EVH either. Either way, its close. I also love Brian May (huge Queen fans here) but better than Jimmy Page?? Nah! Slash over Carlos?? I don't think so. And how does James Hetfield even make this list, lmao??

In the end, it won't matter as Jimi Hendrix will stomp anyone who gets in his way. Have you seen the list of all time greats he has already beaten? No guitarist will ever touch the immortal Jimi Hendrix.

Eddie threw out everything that he had on the first album. He really hasn't done anything new since the late 70s. Don't get me wrong, he did an amazing thing for guitar and should be remembered for it. That being said, Alex Lifeson has continued to evolve and has brought his own originality to the masses. So, he won't win because you can't beat an Icon.

Still, these polls are popularity contests. They have to be the way they are. I would rather listen to and study Page over May. I also think that without Page, May may not be May. Haynes is more versatile than Allman, but Allman will always win because he has reached deity status.

It would be blasphemy to vote anyone over Hendrix, and as amazing, inflential, and iconic as he is, there have been (gasp) guitarists that may be worthy of his status.

This always reminds me of the J. Evans Pritchard poetry scale from Dead Poet's Society.

I voted Alex.....but....

Now I'm second guessing myself...

Not because of EVH...but because I think Steve Howe is better and somehow Alex beat Steve.

Steve Howe > Alex Lifeson > EVH

If Howe was in the other bracket if would have gone far.

QUOTE (thirteen @ Oct 5 2012, 07:56 PM)
I love that Malmsteen lost to Blackmore! Haha.

Blackmore is my favorite living guitarist. If you were lucky enough to see Purple or Rainbow when those bands were at their height, you know why I would rate him all time top 5. The "Perfect Strangers" tour was one of the best shows I have ever witnessed. I think SRV is a bit underrated in these opinion polls also. My two cents.

The jam beginning around the 5:10 mark still makes my hair stand up.

Oh man I love Blackmore and Perfect Strangers album is in my Top 5 of all time. I think it's funny that Malmsteen (hugely influenced by Blackmore) lost to him. I never got to see DP live - sad.

I love Alex and think he is very underrated - much like Martin Barre.

However, if these are my two choices, I'd have to vote Eddie. His influence is enormous and much bigger than Alex's, imo.

But, I believe Ritchie Blackmore is the greatest guitar player.

QUOTE (thirteen @ Oct 7 2012, 02:59 AM)
Oh man I love Blackmore and Perfect Strangers album is in my Top 5 of all time. I think it's funny that Malmsteen (hugely influenced by Blackmore) lost to him. I never got to see DP live - sad.

DP still tours but Steve Morse, a great player in his own right, is the guitarist. On a sad note, keyboardist Jon Lord passed away earlier this year. DP was prolly the loudest band I ever heard. I also saw Malmsteen many years ago (opening for Triumph). I really didn't think much of him to tell the truth.

QUOTE (CygnusGal @ Oct 7 2012, 07:26 AM)
I love Alex and think he is very underrated - much like Martin Barre.

However, if these are my two choices, I'd have to vote Eddie. His influence is enormous and much bigger than Alex's, imo.

But, I believe Ritchie Blackmore is the greatest guitar player.

I wouldn't say Alex is underrated anymore. Seems he's gotten his due in recent years and the respect among his peers couldn't be stronger. Barre is definitely underrated. I saw Tull in the mid 80's. Yet another of the fabulous bands from that era.

Eddie just does stupid tapping shit. He is one of many same sounding late 70's, 80's guitarists.

Don' tell me "You're wrong" or "You're on crack" or whatever whimsical retort you have. It's not going to change my opinion.

As a former guitarist, I never EVER wanted to EVER Idolize that horrible man. His talent isn't the best either.

Alex is an AWESOME guitar player, and has more emotion in his fingertips than Eddie does in his whole body. f**k technical shit. Emotional playing is where it actually comes from.

QUOTE (Shreddy Lee @ Oct 8 2012, 07:00 PM)
As others have said, Hendrix is always going to win the top spot anyway, so what does it really matter.

Man, I feel bad for anyone who got paired up with Hendrix. Especially the first bracket. That's just not fair.

It's down to Van Halen vs. May.

Alex is more creative but Eddie is much more dynamic. People go to Rush Concerts to see RUSH as a whole not just Alex. While there are some people that go see Van Halen just to see Eddie. Eddie should win this. He's in catagory of his own. He changed rock music in the early 80s. While Alex just influenced it.

unsure.gif

QUOTE (JARG @ Oct 9 2012, 04:49 PM)
QUOTE (Shreddy Lee @ Oct 8 2012, 07:00 PM)
As others have said, Hendrix is always going to win the top spot anyway, so what does it really matter.

Man, I feel bad for anyone who got paired up with Hendrix. Especially the first bracket. That's just not fair.

It's down to Van Halen vs. May.

Someone, somewhere has rigged the thing if that's the case. May taking out Page and Hendrix? Not a chance in the real world.