Neil Peart News Updated

Tony R

QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Jan 12 2012, 10:38 AM)
QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jan 12 2012, 03:05 AM)
I really wish that the people who hate Neil and his beliefs - or lack thereof - would just ignore any thread mentioning his name. Really. It's so very tedious to read the same whining over and over again. The guy doesn't believe like you do: DEAL WITH IT and move on. /rant

Sadly enough, Neil keeps bringing it up. He can't seem not to. Its not TRFers that won't move on , its him.

Yep thats the real issue. This would NOT be happening here if Neil wasnt the one that was harping on it in so many songs, and now consecutive albums.

So when he comes up here, naturally it's going to get discussed. There's no way around that and it won't stop until he does.

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I do actually share some of the same beliefs as Neil, what I don't share with him is a dislike for people of religion. He actually thinks they are delusional and crazy, and although I'm not religious, I do view it as something that can be very positive for people.

I would never attack any believer. That's just not right to me. And not only does he do it, but he does it on a very public stage, and even outside of the band in his blog and books. It's a major agenda for him, so its just never going to end on these boards at this point.

For those that dont like people talking about it, all you can do is just ignore it click the back button. Or just skim past those posts. Problem solved.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jan 12 2012, 08:47 AM)
What I can't figure out is why he points out that Christians stole the "pagan tree" yet he, a self-proclaimed linear thinking agnostic, is doing the same thing and topping it with a Christian angel?

I guess Jews stole the pagan holiday too since Hanukkah falls, coincidentally, around that same time.

What "reason" is he applying here?

Seems to me that if you don't believe in deities, you wouldn't be taking part in any activity that derives from religious beliefs.

As for me, I couldn't care less if he's atheist, agnostic, or religious. Just stop belaboring the issue in every blog post.

I know, if you ignore something, simply ignore it. What is the point in repeatedly stating that you are ignoring something... unless it bothers you and this is simple part of the therapy. .. ? confused13.gif

It would help if he just stuck to what we all care about, the New album. I don't give a rats ass what he does on Pagan Day/Christmas Day , tell us when the album is coming out and how much you are going to soak us for in ticket prices biggrin.gif

Ive always considered Neil's view on religion as more of contempt. Which makes sense with his reference to Hitchens. But being that he tends to be a rationalist and critical thinker now living in the U.S., its pretty hard not to be conscious of the religious overtones that permeate the social and political climate recently. And being a artist and writer its pretty unrealistic to think it wouldnt be a prevalent theme in his work.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 12 2012, 12:13 PM)
It would help if he just stuck to what we all care about, the New album. I don't give a rats ass what he does on Pagan Day/Christmas Day , tell us when the album is coming out and how much you are going to soak us for in ticket prices biggrin.gif

I know. It's always so funny to me because surely he knows that 99.99% of people that are reading his updates are doing so because they're huge Rush fans.

Yet, he will write endlessly about everything and then sneak in there a blurb about Rush or an update and do it very matter of factly...kind of like "oh, by the way, for anyone who is interested in Rush news, here's an update" LOL

Regarding his religious views, yes, he is definitely starting to border OCD about endlessly talking about it. I believe he has been hurt and it probably started with the death of his family. He may very well have believed in God up until that point but, maybe in his mind, he said to himself that there isn't a God in the world that would have done this to him and so he wook a completely different path and started preaching against God and religion at that point, I don't know. Just a theory

It's almost like the Mel Gibson character is Signs. When his wife died, he hated God and decided to stop praying, believing, etc....

Unfortunately its only the zealots and nuts who grab the headlines when it comes to the world of religion, so that is what Neil sees.

Plus, there is the death of his family and 9/11, which was carried out by religious zealots and nuts. I know he feels he needs to deal with it through his writing, and I can understand how it can be a put-off. Heck, a lot of the whole "the universe is random" stuff on Roll the Bones was annoying. Yea, we get it Neil, but for a whole album?

Having said that, none of it really bothers me to the point that I skip songs. I only do that if I dont like it as a whole, lyrically and musically. Roll the Bones and Snakes and Arrows were (for me personally) weak albums musically, and the lyrical themes were all that was left to cling to and well, they left a lot to be desired. Therefore most of the tracks from those two albums never get heard in my house.

But BU2B gets blasted all the time. 1022.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jan 12 2012, 08:43 AM)
QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Jan 12 2012, 10:30 PM)
Neil is just doing what so many of us without religion try to do. get people to stop believing in man made story books and use some damn logic and reasoning. i, like Neil, go out of my way to make fun of Christianity. why? because it's ridiculous.

"Whether one believes in a religion or not, and whether one believes in rebirth or not, there isn't anyone who doesn't appreciate kindness and compassion." - Dalai Lama

Taking that a step further, (even if you think it's ridiculous) why would you go out of your way to make fun of something that others firmly believe in? Sure, you can state your opinion but you're not doing anyone any favors by doing that.

Note: I am not a deeply religious person/bible thumper/etc. or a follower of any organized religion.

I don't make fun of it to people's faces, I'm not that terrible. but if theyre up for it, i will have an intellectual debate. I don't do it to hurt or offend anyone. Unless they're shoving it down my throat. That is a different story..

QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Jan 12 2012, 01:16 PM)
Ive always considered Neil's view on religion as more of contempt. Which makes sense with his reference to Hitchens. But being that he tends to be a rationalist and critical thinker now living in the U.S., its pretty hard not to be conscious of the religious overtones that permeate the social and political climate recently. And being a artist and writer its pretty unrealistic to think it wouldnt be a prevalent theme in his work.

You are 100% correct.

Its amazing to me. For a guy who really did have some hard blows, and yet found and created/blessed with a new family, baby, great career; he is still angry. News flash Neil; everyone has tough times. I know your inner-baby soul you mentioned on the last DVD was hurt; and I respect that, but bad stuff happens to good people all the time.

Its interesting that he states he is "quietly resisting" when really it appears almost an agenda in the last few years and now albums.

Im disappointed because I grew up listening to these guys, and the lyrics were always as important as the music; so I get some people saying, "well, then don't listen; or turn it off" but I am so excited to hear this next album; and I honestly feel its just going to bash and belittle my feelings on God and spirituality. Not whining here, just kind of takes a little something out of the experience of a new Rush album.

I have always felt for 30 years now, how incredibly intelligent/articulate Neil is; and yet it completely blows my mind how uneducated he is on Christianity. He must be talking about the cook -a-dook fanatics, but in my Christian church that I try to attend weekly, its all about giving to those who don't, trying to think outside of ourselves, bringing my kids on Thanksgiving day to homeless shelters, forgiving those who screw us over and all around just trying to help me be a good man/husband/dad. How he compares that to the MIDDLE EAST and terrorism on S&A, just baffled me. "middle east and the middle west" Yes, there are crazys but for the most part, I think people who are Christian are really just trying to make the world a better place. It seems as if he was brought to a room and somebody tried to literally shove a bible down his throat and beat him or something.

Neil, please, we get it. We respect your beliefs and your freedom to express; but please stop making many of us feel "a little crazy" for believing in something that you are kind of belittling.

I will be bummed if the next album is another extension of his unresolved issues with Christians.

RUSH RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Jan 12 2012, 08:30 AM)
Neil is just doing what so many of us without religion try to do. get people to stop believing in man made story books and use some damn logic and reasoning. i, like Neil, go out of my way to make fun of Christianity. why? because it's ridiculous.

Ridiculous to you and to many, but what right have you (or anyone for that matter) to take people's beliefs and trample on them? Religion should always be a personal matter. So if someone says "God bless you" after you sneeze, do you go on a little rant about God? No, you should say "Thank you" and leave it at that.

As I see it, religion is always an inner and deep form of one's self. If you don't follow any religion, organized or unorganized, then good for you. If you DO follow any religion, then good for you. Just don't go around wearing it on your shoulder, because religion should only be shared in places of worship, where those who also believe can convene.

QUOTE (Oracle @ Jan 12 2012, 12:57 PM)
QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Jan 12 2012, 08:30 AM)

Ridiculous to you and to many, but what right have you (or anyone for that matter) to take people's beliefs and trample on them? Religion should always be a personal matter. So if someone says "God bless you" after you sneeze, do you go on a little rant about God? No, you should say "Thank you" and leave it at that.

As I see it, religion is always an inner and deep form of one's self. If you don't follow any religion, organized or unorganized, then good for you. If you DO follow any religion, then good for you. Just don't go around wearing it on your shoulder, because religion should only be shared in places of worship, where those who also believe can convene.

I'm not that bad.if someone says bless you, I say thanks. If someone says merry Christmas or happy Easter, I say "you too".

And I completely agree with your second paragraph.

QUOTE (Knice @ Jan 12 2012, 12:52 PM)
Its amazing to me. For a guy who really did have some hard blows, and yet found and created/blessed with a new family, baby, great career; he is still angry. News flash Neil; everyone has tough times. I know your inner-baby soul you mentioned on the last DVD was hurt; and I respect that, but bad stuff happens to good people all the time.
Its interesting that he states he is "quietly resisting" when really it appears almost an agenda in the last few years and now albums.

Im disappointed because I grew up listening to these guys, and the lyrics were always as important as the music; so I get some people saying, "well, then don't listen; or turn it off" but I am so excited to hear this next album; and I honestly feel its just going to bash and belittle my feelings on God and spirituality. Not whining here, just kind of takes a little something out of the experience of a new Rush album.

I have always felt for 30 years now, how incredibly intelligent/articulate Neil is; and yet it completely blows my mind how uneducated he is on Christianity. He must be talking about the cook -a-dook fanatics, but in my Christian church that I try to attend weekly, its all about giving to those who don't, trying to think outside of ourselves, bringing my kids on Thanksgiving day to homeless shelters, forgiving those who screw us over and all around just trying to help me be a good man/husband/dad. How he compares that to the MIDDLE EAST and terrorism on S&A, just baffled me. "middle east and the middle west" Yes, there are crazys but for the most part, I think people who are Christian are really just trying to make the world a better place. It seems as if he was brought to a room and somebody tried to literally shove a bible down his throat and beat him or something.
Neil, please, we get it. We respect your beliefs and your freedom to express; but please stop making many of us feel "a little crazy" for believing in something that you are kind of belittling.
I will be bummed if the next album is another extension of his unresolved issues with Christians.

While I understand the wish to not be harped on by someone's views, especially through music, I just think you should wait for the music to speak for itself first before feeling that it will attack your beliefs. I'm not saying it won't attack what you believe in, but I just think that if you're going in to the music thinking that it's going to criticize what you believe in, you may not enjoy it as much at first.

I, like many people here, hope the lyrics are a little bit more lighthearted this time around, while still being thought-provoking. But at the same time, don't spoil it for yourself.

So basically Peart should write stuff that he's no spiritual, emotional or intellectual connection to?

Mind you, I wouldn't baulk too much if he returned to sci-fi and simple metaphor.

I would say if you're upset with Neil, and since Alex and Geddy endorse Neil's lyrics and have similar views, then you're upset with Rush. Neil gets 99.9% of the attention though since he's the lyricist and storyteller. Having read the majority of Neil's writings, I don't believe he goes out of his way (let alone tries) to insult anyone. But if he's going to write about how he feels (or write lyrics based on how he feels), then I suppose he's bound to upset people. And the internet is where you complain about it.

trink38.gif 2.gif trink39.gif bacon.gif

I've already figured that if the new album is another rant on religion, I'm not going to buy it. Out with the old, as they say.

He doesn't seem angry at all. However he does articulate some disapproval or lack of understanding towards Christians.

Please re-read how he praises the brilliant Christopher Hitchens, and the quote from him he admires.

All this Neil bashing is curious to say the least.

All you who complain about the touring, note well that Neil credits playing all those shows with pushing him to a higher level in the studio. So there! wink.gif

Also: Now that I know how "Booujzhe" is pronounced, I know how to spell that noise my husband makes to suggest explosions!

Yeah, Neil should just write about planes, trains, boats, spaceships, occasional natural phenomina, and of course motorcycle riding (unless he would rather sell us books about that subject instead)

done

QUOTE (upstateNYfan @ Jan 12 2012, 03:31 PM)
Its amazing to me.  For a guy who really did have some hard blows, and yet found and created/blessed with a new family, baby, great career; he is still angry.  News flash Neil; everyone has tough times.  I know your inner-baby soul you mentioned on the last DVD was hurt; and I respect that, but bad stuff happens to good people all the time. 

Im disappointed because I grew up listening to these guys, and the lyrics were always as important as the music;  so I get some people saying, "well, then don't listen; or turn it off" but I am so excited to hear this next album; and I honestly feel its just going to bash and belittle my feelings on God and spirituality.  Not whining here, just kind of takes a little something out of the experience of a new Rush album. 

I have always felt for 30 years now, how incredibly intelligent/articulate Neil is; and yet it completely blows my mind how uneducated he is on Christianity.  He must be talking about the cook -a-dook fanatics, but in my Christian church that I try to attend weekly, its all about giving to those who don't, trying to think outside of ourselves, bringing my kids on Thanksgiving day to homeless shelters, forgiving those who screw us over and all around just trying to help me be a good man/husband/dad.  How he compares that to the MIDDLE EAST and terrorism on S&A, just baffled me. "middle east and the middle west" Yes, there are crazys but for the most part, I think people who are Christian are really just trying to make the world a better place.  It seems as if he was brought to a room and somebody tried to literally shove a bible down his throat and beat him or something.
Neil, please, we get it.  We respect your beliefs and your freedom to express;  but please stop making many of us feel "a little crazy" for believing in something that you are kind of belittling.

He doesn't seem angry at all. However he does articulate some disapproval or lack of understanding towards Christians.

Please re-read how he praises the brilliant Christopher Hitchens, and the quote from him he admires.

All this Neil bashing is curious to say the least.

Is Hitchens the guy that compared teaching children to be religious the equivalent of child abuse? If not, please forgive, I misheard. If so, I'm sorry, the man was not, by any means, "brilliant".

The lyrics don't really bother me if the music is good so I don't really care about what he wants to write about. However, it does seem like he goes out of his way to mention his beliefs and how wrong he thinks everyone else is. I love his drumming and he's one of the best musicians out there but honestly he doesn't seem like someone I'd want to be around. Edited by ColdFireYYZ