Styx: What's your opinion?

treeduck

STYX what's your take?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. STYX what's your take?

• 1 They're good, I have their three best albums, Pieces, Equinox, Illusion
    • 2 I like one or two songs of theirs, the rest I avoid
    • 3 They're a great, great band. I have all their albums, all are good.
    • 4 I'm indifferent to Styx, I've heard their stuff and it left me feeling blank
    • 5 I hate Styx, they suck, they should be called STYNX, de Young is a clown
    • 6 I've not heard anything by them, and I don't think I'd like them
    • 7 This is a band that passed me by, I have no opinion on them at all
    • 8 I like some of their stuff, one side of an album here, another side there
    • 9 I like Styx a little, musically, but I hate De young's vocals
    • 10 I used to like them but now I find them hard to listen to
    • 11 I used to hate them, I got into them recently but I'm no Styx freak
    • 12 I've never heard of Styx but maybe I'll check them out one day

they garner a big MEH from me.

i don't outright hate them, but i never could see the appeal. grossly overrated IMHO. i never dug that whole styx/reo speedwagon/foreigner/journey rock lite vibe. it all seems pretty bland and lifeless to me.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 8 2011, 12:42 PM)

i don't outright hate them, but i never could see the appeal. grossly overrated IMHO. i never dug that whole styx/reo speedwagon/foreigner/journey rock lite vibe. it all seems pretty bland and lifeless to me.

This.

All of them had a bit of stuff that was pretty good at best. They just don't compare at all to some of the deeper stuff. Of course it is not supposed to, but I am just so damn indifferent to it. It hardly moves me.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ May 8 2011, 05:47 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 8 2011, 12:42 PM)

i don't outright hate them, but i never could see the appeal.  grossly overrated IMHO.  i never dug that whole styx/reo speedwagon/foreigner/journey rock lite vibe.  it all seems pretty bland and lifeless to me.

This.

All of them had a bit of stuff that was pretty good at best. They just don't compare at all to some of the deeper stuff. Of course it is not supposed to, but I am just so damn indifferent to it. It hardly moves me.

I just Youtubed Come Sail Away, someone called them "fart rock". I laughed a little.

I chose I like some of their stuff, one side of an album here, another side there.

I like the three albums Ducky put in the first poll choice, but I don't own them.

I don't mind DeYoung's voice, but I hate what he turned that band into after Illusion.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 9 2011, 06:42 AM)

i don't outright hate them, but i never could see the appeal.  grossly overrated IMHO.  i never dug that whole styx/reo speedwagon/foreigner/journey rock lite vibe.  it all seems pretty bland and lifeless to me.

Goobs please do not go lumping REO in with that lot. Thankyou but NO!! angry.gif

I voted "I'm indifferent to Styx, I've heard their stuff and it left me feeling blank". They always did and I am a child(teenager) of that era. Little sis liked them, had a poster on the wall. I always felt like there was always something I enjoyed more listening to at the time. They never grated on my nerves when they came on the radio unlike Boston which I would consider a similar band

Styx, to me, is...

"The Grand Illusion" and "Pieces of Eight"

Two great albums start to finish...the rest of it is very much hit and hiss to me.

No disrespect to it's fans or to Styx, but MR. Roboto killed the band.

I voted for #1... though I'd change it for their first three. But check out their stuff up to '77 or so. I think they've been viewed as prog-lite (like the Moody Blues) and can't get past that stigma. I gotta admit here that '70's U.S. prog can't compare to U.K. prog from then ... but it's still good stuff.

Can you grab a Camaro and some cheap lager? Try that on a sunny afternoon and some early Styx and see if you don't feel like a million bucks. Worked for me in my friend's '75 Nova listening to this stuff in the early '80's.

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 8 2011, 01:19 PM)

I youtubed them this morning too, I listened to most of their more celebrated songs from the 70s and the only one that I liked was Renegade which was pretty good. The rest was a mixture of bland melodies with overblown arrangements that featured (mainly) De Young's irritating vocals. The guitars were ok but nothing to get steamed up about, Shaw's voice is better than De Young's. Shaw is a little overrated to my mind though (I remember the Damn Yankees album which was whole lot of nothing too).

Someone compared them to Foreigner and Journey but to me those bands have much, much better songs than Styx.

Agreed on all points (though i do kinda like most of the hits). Journey and Foreigner had the better musicans as well and were more convincing as "heavy rock" (relatively speaking) bands.

Would Mr. Roboto be considered a "guilty pleasure"?

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ May 8 2011, 11:17 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ May 8 2011, 01:19 PM)

I youtubed them this morning too, I listened to most of their more celebrated songs from the 70s and the only one that I liked was Renegade which was pretty good. The rest was a mixture of bland melodies with overblown arrangements that featured (mainly) De Young's irritating vocals. The guitars were ok but nothing to get steamed up about, Shaw's voice is better than De Young's. Shaw is a little overrated to my mind though (I remember the Damn Yankees album which was whole lot of nothing too).

Someone compared them to Foreigner and Journey but to me those bands have much, much better songs than Styx.

Agreed on all points (though i do kinda like most of the hits). Journey and Foreigner had the better musicans as well and were more convincing as "heavy rock" (relatively speaking) bands.

Would Mr. Roboto be considered a "guilty pleasure"?

Mr Roboto would be considered a hanging offence!

I've figured out what Styx sound like, their sound is an amalgamation of the following bands, in fact I'll make a mathematical equation out of it:

The Eagles + Barry Manilow + Emerson Lake and Palmer + Loverboy = Styx

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ May 9 2011, 06:16 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ May 9 2011, 05:59 AM)

The Eagles + Barry Manilow + Emerson Lake and Palmer + Loverboy = Styx

My God, that's exactly it.

Music in Hell.

duck-san is some kind of fowl genius.

Their cheesy ass song "Lady" really sounds like it belongs in some potently lame Will Ferrell movie scene. I wouldn't doubt if it already has been used in one of those crappy SNL actor films (either that or one of Ben Stiller's)

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ May 9 2011, 09:04 AM)
Their cheesy ass song "Lady" really sounds like it belongs in some potently lame Will Ferrell movie scene. I wouldn't doubt if it already has been used in one of those crappy SNL actor films (either that or one of Ben Stiller's)

QUOTE (ReRushed @ May 9 2011, 10:09 PM)

laugh.gif

Great show! Seth Rogen was in that so I'd say that's close enough to the whole Will Ferrell/Ben Stiller/overrated comedic actors troupe tongue.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ May 9 2011, 09:15 AM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ May 9 2011, 10:09 PM)

laugh.gif

Great show! Seth Rogen was in that so I'd say that's close enough to the whole Will Ferrell/Ben Stiller/overrated comedic actors troupe tongue.gif

I only posted it because I think it used the song brilliantly. I cringe every time I watch it.