Worst Rush Songs

Lamelight

So, I would like to know which are these songs for you. I'm sorry if there's a thread like this already, but I couldn't find one.

There aren't any songs I could not stand, but I think Tom Sawyer is a bit boring and I hardly ever listen to it. It's not a bad song, it's just not as good as others.

What do you think?

QUOTE (Lamelight @ Dec 12 2010, 08:14 AM)
So, I would like to know which are these songs for you. I'm sorry if there's a thread like this already, but I couldn't find one.

There aren't any songs I could not stand, but I think Tom Sawyer is a bit boring and I hardly ever listen to it. It's not a bad song, it's just not as good as others.

What do you think?

I just have to say that "Tom Sawyer", as overplayed as it is, is as perfect as a rock song can be. You...can...not...write...a...better...song!!!!

As for the question at hand, "Nobody's Hero" and "Dog Years" are the two Rush songs I can't stand. Pure poo.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Dec 12 2010, 09:34 AM)

What do you think?

I just have to say that "Tom Sawyer", as overplayed as it is, is as perfect as a rock song can be. You...can...not...write...a...better...song!!!!

As for the question at hand, "Nobody's Hero" and "Dog Years" are the two Rush songs I can't stand. Pure poo.

Dog years I would agree upon but Superconductor goes to the top of that very short list.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Dec 12 2010, 09:34 AM)

What do you think?

yeah, tom sawyer is an awesome song. Nobody's Hero is pretty cool. Dog years was a good idea for a song, but kinda mediocre. Virtuality was... 062802puke_prv.gif

What do you think?

Couldn't disagree more with that statement.

To answer the question: Open Secrets, Hand Over Fist, The Main Monkey Business

-Red Lenses

-Second Nature

-War Paint

-Half the World

-Totem

(These are just the 5 songs that I could probably get some agreement on. I have a few "widely-loved" songs on this list as well that I don't want to get torn to pieces on scared.gif)

It's so hard for me to really rate the "worst" Rush song or even a bottom 10 or 20 because honestly, I just don't spend a lot of time listening to the Rush songs I don't like over and over again trying to rank what's the worst of the worst - that would just be masochistic.

That said, Rush songs I don't like to greatly varying degrees:

CoS: I Think I'm Going Bald, The Necromancer

HYF: High Water, Tai Shan

Presto: After the first 3 songs it starts going dowhnill, and the first song isn't that great either.

RTB: After the first song most of it sucks, except the instrumental and Bravado which are both only halfway decent - otherwise too many low points to mention.

T4E: All the songs here range from meh to pretty bad - worst offenders are Dog Years and Virtuality

VT: Easily 13 contenders for worst song.

S&A: There are a handful of songs I'm not crazy about, but nothing in the same category of badness as the previous two albums and much or RTB. Faithless and Good News First are the worst due to the lyrics.

Single: BU2B

Rush songs I rarely, if ever, listen to:

All of the first album.

Rivendell.

I Think I'm Going Bald.

The Fountain of Lamneth.

The Twilight Zone.

Something for Nothing.

Cinderella Man.

Anagram.

Face Up.

The Big Wheel.

Speed of Love.

Virtuality.

Carve Away the Stone.

The Stars Look Down.

The Larger Bowl.

We Hold On.

I like Dog Years "ducks and dodges tomatoes"

I like Test for Echo from what I have heard from it so far.

I kinda like Rivendell- the reason it would never be a favorite is simply because it is so soft and slow and I need something more dynamic. Otherwise, nothing truly objectively wrong with it.

I like Nobody's Hero. It may be preachy, but it does have a good message after all.

I like Earthshine.

There is only one Rush song that I have actively disliked- and that would be "In the Mood" from the first album. It is not horribly terrible. But if I heard it on the radio without knowing it is from Rush, I would assume it is from Lynyrd Skynyrd. Or Def Leppard. Or from some teenage boys' garage band that rehearses next to the radio station. In other words, it is a very generic song that anyone could come up with and sing without saying anything specific about the band and its members.

There is only one Rush song that I have actively disliked- and that would be "In the Mood" from the first album. It is not horribly terrible. But if I heard it on the radio without knowing it is from Rush, I would assume it is from Lynyrd Skynyrd. Or Def Leppard. Or from some teenage boys' garage band that rehearses next to the radio station. In other words, it is a very generic song that anyone could come up with and sing without saying anything specific about the band and its members.

goodpost.gif

Yup. These were almost my exact feelings when I heard "In the Mood" for the very first time. But I'd already been exposed to almost every other album.

Some people really like it.

But I don't have much of an issue being an odd-one-out.

I really like some of the songs posted on this thread... The S&A album, VT album, Earthshine, Nobody's Hero, We Hold On, Anagram (this one surprised me -- I think it's a lyrical masterpiece), Kid Gloves, the others mentioned from HYF and GUP...

I guess it just shows how diverse we all are as fans. : D

Without trying to make a statement like "all of Caress of Steel" or something laugh.gif, and taking account for the fact that I honestly do like *anything* the guys put out, here's some Rush songs I avoid a lot when there is other Rush to be played:

"I Think I'm Going Bald" - CoS - It just doesn't sound like a Rush song. It sounds like a song the Rolling Stones would've written, and probably not even recorded. Probably the last vestige of their southern rock twang that they originally had on Rush and some of FBN. I love Rush for their complexity, not their ability to mimic Lynyrd Skynyrd or something.

"The Speed of Love" - Counterparts - The title alone makes me not want to listen rofl3.gif I mean, I'm all for Neil's romantic lyrics, a lot of time they're amazing (see Alien Shore, Chemistry, Entre Nous), but this one has a little too much cheese.

"Making Memories" - FBN - A very Led Zeppelin sounding song. I love Led Zeppelin, but I don't love Rush Zeppelin. It's a little too basic of a story for Rush and it throws me out of the groove of other more complex songs every time it pops up. It's good on other merits though.

"Second Nature" - HYF - This song has one of the most boring intros to any song I've ever heard. Nearly the first whole minute is like listening to a high school talent show recital. By a really talented kid of course! But still. The rest of the song picks up after that though.

"Tai Shan" - HYF - Yeah I get it. It's the 80s, everyone experimented with Asian influences. I actually love the (slightly cliche) main guitar riff Alex does, but it's the only thing that gets me through the song. Thankfully Mission, Lock and Key, and Turn the Page are on this CD or I'd be really sad.

(A funny note about HYF. I own all the Rush discography of course, but the main way I listen to my music is ripping it losslessly to listen any time without damaging the CD. I originally ripped HYF years and years ago. I just discovered a week ago that, way back, my ripping program had skipped track #3, "Open Secrets". A song that was never on any compilation and never played live. Essentially, I've never even heard Open Secrets before! Maybe one time from a friend or something, but it seemed completely new to me. I was and am still completely amazed I went this long without hearing a Rush song!

But the real question is -- was my computer trying to do me a favor? beathorse.gif rofl3.gif )

Heresy - RTB - Again, sounds like another, lesser band's song. Very much a product of the era the record was written in. Too simple and slow for me.

Workin' Them Angels and The Larger Bowl - SA - Both are definitely "good" songs, but I'm of the rare breed who thinks SA was a very solid album overall, and these tracks are a little too boring when I can hit FFW very easily. Nice messages but not musically strong.

The Color of Right - TFE - Meh. Especially with a song like Time and Motion right after, how can I resist hitting FFW?

Stars Look Down - VT - Every single song on this album is written really well, but this song rubs me the wrong way. Something about the Alice in Chains-esque guitar mixed with Geddy's whinges puts me off.

Out Of The Cradle - VT - Seriously? Some of my worst nightmares have been peppered with Geddy's "ENDLESSLY MOCKINGGGGGGGGG ENDLESSLY ROCKINGGGGGGGGGGGGGG" from this song. The whole of the vocals are strained and overshadowed by the over-layering of the instruments. It sounds like Ged's going to pass out at any minute.

To me, it all became clear watching 'From The Lighted Stage': Neil's comments about the complexity of Hemispheres and how they weren't going to do "that again" rings true. That's why Hemispheres rules and they went downhill after that. Certainly Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures kick ass as well, but I can pretty much throw out Signals on. There are some tunes I love after that but 90% of the Rush I listen to is the first album through MP.

I like Goober's comments with the exception of loving The Necromancer and a actually think VT has a lot of merit as well.

Don't make false conclusions about me hating the newer Rush albums. I like them, but they certainly don't match up with the ABSOLUTE BRILLIANCE of the 70s albums (plus PeW and MP)

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Dec 13 2010, 04:07 PM)
Mystic Rhythms. Can not stand that song, goes nowhere. IMO....

My dad says the same thing about "Subdivisions". |D

There are a few of those songs though. I personally love "Mystic Rhythms" but compositionally, it's not their most impressive piece. (It was also a pretty weird music video.)

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 12 2010, 04:32 PM)
It's so hard for me to really rate the "worst" Rush song or even a bottom 10 or 20 because honestly, I just don't spend a lot of time listening to the Rush songs I don't like over and over again trying to rank what's the worst of the worst - that would just be masochistic.

That said, Rush songs I don't like to greatly varying degrees:

CoS: I Think I'm Going Bald, The Necromancer
HYF: High Water, Tai Shan
Presto: After the first 3 songs it starts going dowhnill, and the first song isn't that great either.
RTB: After the first song most of it sucks, except the instrumental and Bravado which are both only halfway decent - otherwise too many low points to mention.
T4E: All the songs here range from meh to pretty bad - worst offenders are Dog Years and Virtuality
VT: Easily 13 contenders for worst song.
S&A: There are a handful of songs I'm not crazy about, but nothing in the same category of badness as the previous two albums and much or RTB. Faithless and Good News First are the worst due to the lyrics.
Single: BU2B

Ha! It's amazing isnt it? BU2B won best song of 2010 in the Classic Rock Magazine Awards!!

I didn't have many Rush songs that I actually disliked until we hit the late 1980s. I think The Body Electric was one I always found excruciating but other than that I think we hit Presto before I start to have serious issues. I'm not a fan of HYF but I can't say I actually hate any songs on there. Then we get Presto, Hand Over Fist makes me want to puke. Followed by Face Up and that f***ing rapping shit from RTB.

It's pretty much downhill from there. Virtuality and Limbo -WTF? The Stars Look Down and How It Is - lame. The Larger Bowl, Good News First and Bravest Face - hopeless.

Still considering I rarely listen to any post 1982 Rush that's not a bad haul overall.

Archived