The Walking Dead

vital signz

Fear the Walking Dead has improved this season. Thoughts?

I gave up after the first 4 episodes in season 1. None of those characters interested me. And I found that actor who plays the drug addict son to be annoying...

....and while he was annoying he was probably the least annoying character on the show.

With the few episodes that I saw I was annoyed by that drug boy and his sister. All the other characters just bored me.

Have they crossed over any characters from this show with any from Walking Dead? Surely they must be thinking that (trying to force that).

I quit watching the show after about 3 episodes into season 2 so I have no idea. Up until that point the apocalypse was still pretty early on. Like probably before Rick even woke up. Edited by thesweetscience

Season three of FTWD is almost a completely different show then the first two seasons. I was getting tired of Fear. The characters were spinning wheels or dull, the events more irritating in what they lacked than exciting or interesting.

Season three, although still with moments that make an eye roll, is very good. The writing is so much better it feels like a reboot rather than simply a new season. I think it's worth exploring by people who ever had an initial interest in the first place. The ones who tried and gave up. I was close myself, and season three surprised me.

Edited by Mosher

Season three of FTWD is almost a completely different show then the first two seasons. I was getting tired of Fear. The characters were spinning wheels or dull, the events more irritating in what they lacked than exciting or interesting.

Season three, although still with moments that make an eye roll, is very good. The writing is so much better it feels like a reboot rather than simply a new season. I think it's worth exploring by people who ever had an initial interest in the first place. The ones who tried and gave up. I was close myself, and season three surprised me.

I'll probably have to watch all the missing episodes just to catch up though, yeah?

For me that includes everything after the first four episodes.

I'll probably have to watch all the missing episodes just to catch up though, yeah?

That could be painful, I will admit. :)

Hmm....Season 1 Episodes 2-4 were already a bit of a chore.

I started to watch FTWD, but it didn't really offer anything different than the TWD.

I've stopped watching both of them because they don't go anywhere.

One question I have, is there an end or some kind of resolution to the zombie epidemic and/or fall of civilization? Do the graphic novels have an end where humans figure it out and overcome?

I will reiterate, Season 3 as stated is a huge improvement. FTWD was such a disappointment to me during the first two seasons. I wanted all the characters to be killed off! Somehow I stuck with it and it is much better now.

• Like 1

I started to watch FTWD, but it didn't really offer anything different than the TWD.

I've stopped watching both of them because they don't go anywhere.

One question I have, is there an end or some kind of resolution to the zombie epidemic and/or fall of civilization? Do the graphic novels have an end where humans figure it out and overcome?

The comics haven't wrapped anything up (I don't read them, I just know they still make them).

My understanding is that the show is about how human beings respond to the collapse of our social systems and government, exploring humanity through the lens of Hobbe's 'natural state'.

Zombies are just the mechanism through which Kirkman collapsed society, but I think his intent is to never reveal the cause nor to resolve the problem. Although I want our heroes to carve out a way for humanity to move forward, and although I think this is possible, my understanding is that Kirkman's preferred narrative is to never get to that point. I hope he ends it hopefully, but I think when he ends it, it will remain ambiguous. I think he enjoys exploring the question of what we are but not so much the answer.

I will reiterate, Season 3 as stated is a huge improvement. FTWD was such a disappointment to me during the first two seasons. I wanted all the characters to be killed off! Somehow I stuck with it and it is much better now.

Yeah, I don't think I really want to suffer through the rest of season 1 and all of season 2 just to get to the improvement of season 3.

This is all good info to know though. :cheers:

If I had to pick a word to describe Fear The Walking Dead it would have to be "tedious". Sorry, but that's the vibe I'm getting from this show now. It was fairly entertaining until they left the hotel but has taken a sharp downward turn and I think it's gonna crash. Same with TWD, the ratings have been sharply declining since they needlessly and pointlessly killed off Abraham and Glenn and I don't think it's going to recover, no matter how much spectacle the "All-Out War" storyline is supposedly going to bring.

I feel TWD has run it's course. Zombiemania is finally subsiding. Much like the vampire craze we had a few years back....it has run it's course.

I really enjoyed TWD but since Abraham and Glenn's demise......the show has nose dived. I hope this season they can actually wrap up the whole story arc here of this bastard Negan (a great bad guy but man I want him dead....like now).

I don't know if their is much juice left in the tank.

Fear The Walking Dead's first two seasons were quite weak but I stuck with it. Now I am about to finally sit down and watch season 3 (I DVR the entire season so I can speed through the commercials).

I hope the positive buzz is true.

Edited by Todem

they needlessly and pointlessly killed off Abraham and Glenn

Killing off Glenn was just following what Negan did what he first showed up in the comic. While Abraham was already dead at that point in the comic, his death on the show was not needed. However killing a main character who is loved by the fans like Glenn was absolutely necessary to establish Negan as an evil bastard and show why he was able to gain the power he did and get so many people to work for him. Killing some random secondary character would have had no impact.

I feel TWD has run it's course. Zombiemania is finally subsiding. Much like the vampire craze we had a few years back....it has run it's course.

I really enjoyed TWD but since Abraham and Glenn's demise......the show has nose dived. I hope this season they can actually wrap up the whole story arc here of this bastard Negan (a great bad guy but man I want him dead....like now).

I don't know if their is much juice left in the tank.

Fear The Walking Dead's first two seasons were quite weak but I stuck with it. Now I am about to finally sit down and watch season 3 (I DVR the entire season so I can speed through the commercials).

I hope the positive buzz is true.

I can't imagine Negan being killed off anytime soon.

The Governor was in there for two seasons. I'd guess Negan would be in TWD at least for the rest of next season.

Killing off Glenn was just following what Negan did what he first showed up in the comic. While Abraham was already dead at that point in the comic, his death on the show was not needed. However killing a main character who is loved by the fans like Glenn was absolutely necessary to establish Negan as an evil bastard and show why he was able to gain the power he did and get so many people to work for him. Killing some random secondary character would have had no impact.

:yes:

In other words, dumb.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

I don't care. Apparently comics fans differ from you average Mom and Pop TV watcher if comic sales didn't suffer for that. People emotionally invest in TV show characters they like. To just have them killed off for nothing more than shock value is horrible. We want to have hope for these characters, that they are going to make it through this plague. To take a nihilistic "bad guy shows up and kills whomever he wants randomly" approach is to expect folks to switch channels. Simply put, the show went too far and now they're paying for it. If you're willing to put up with that and keep watching anyway then hey: whatever floats your goat, enjoy the show.

I don't care. Apparently comics fans differ from you average Mom and Pop TV watcher if comic sales didn't suffer for that. People emotionally invest in TV show characters they like. To just have them killed off for nothing more than shock value is horrible. We want to have hope for these characters, that they are going to make it through this plague. To take a nihilistic "bad guy shows up and kills whomever he wants randomly" approach is to expect folks to switch channels. Simply put, the show went too far and now they're paying for it. If you're willing to put up with that and keep watching anyway then hey: whatever floats your goat, enjoy the show.

Oh, i'm not watching anymore but it had nothing to do with what they did there. It was how last season turned out to be so boring and really went nowhere by the end. I don't think Glenn and Abe being alive would have changed the quality that much. They had a big chance to really change things up on the show with Negan and the saviors but it just turned out to be another dragged out, not really going anywhere season with very little payoff by the end of it. Just like the last couple seasons have been.

Now, if I hear good things about this season I will check it out. But I have zero interest in it unless the season gets glowing reviews.

Oh, i'm not watching anymore but it had nothing to do with what they did there. It was how last season turned out to be so boring and really went nowhere by the end. I don't think Glenn and Abe being alive would have changed the quality that much. They had a big chance to really change things up on the show with Negan and the saviors but it just turned out to be another dragged out, not really going anywhere season with very little payoff by the end of it. Just like the last couple seasons have been.

Now, if I hear good things about this season I will check it out. But I have zero interest in it unless the season gets glowing reviews.

If you both could've done season 7, what would you have done differently? Let's say we're at that season 6 cliffhanger. Take it from there. :popcorn:

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

If you both could've done season 7, what would you have done differently? Let's say we're at that season 6 cliffhanger. Take it from there. :popcorn:

I think the problem with the show started way before the season 6 cliffhanger.

It's like the characters forgot everything they have learned from the start of this thing and began making really dumb decisions. I watched this years season premier and that has not changed. In the end it boils down to poor writing.

The Rick Grimes who bit the guys throat out on the highway, or who stood in a boxcar and said "They don't know who they are f***ing with!" would never have put himself or his people in the position that landed them on their knees at Negan's feet. He and everyone around him turned stupid overnight.

• Like 3

The Rick Grimes who bit the guys throat out on the highway, or who stood in a boxcar and said "They don't know who they are f***ing with!" would never have put himself or his people in the position that landed them on their knees at Negan's feet. He and everyone around him turned stupid overnight.

Actually he said 'screwing.' I still don't understand in a show as violent as TWD how AMC didn't allow the more appropriate 'fvcking' in that instance. It was only once Negan's character (who supposedly swears a lot in the comics) appeared did the show start allowing words such as sh!t. Not sure if fvck has been used in TWD yet but it was used in the season finale of FearTWD. That same night, Star Trek Discovery also used fvck. Edited by Rushian King

It's like the characters forgot everything they have learned from the start of this thing and began making really dumb decisions. I watched this years season premier and that has not changed. In the end it boils down to poor writing.

Yeah, that.

Actually he said 'screwing.' I still don't understand in a show as violent as TWD how AMC didn't allow the more appropriate 'fvcking' in that instance. It was only once Negan's character (who supposedly swears a lot in the comics) appeared did the show start allowing words such as sh!t. Not sure if fvck has been used in TWD yet but it was used in the season finale of FearTWD. That same night, Star Trek Discovery also used fvck.

On the DVD version he says "f***ing". They filmed it both ways and decided not to drop the F bomb for some reason. I agree, what's the point of censoring language on a show like this? I don't get it.
  • Like 1

And I said a similar thing to my friend who enjoyed season 7. I said that Rick, Michonne, and Darryl were getting their asses whipped by those Claimers until Rick bit the leader's jugular. No way would he be whimpering and all that vs Negan so quickly.

But still, this is just what they should NOT have done. What would you have liked to have seen done?

• Like 1

And I said a similar thing to my friend who enjoyed season 7. I said that Rick, Michonne, and Darryl were getting their asses whipped by those Claimers until Rick bit the leader's jugular. No way would he be whimpering and all that vs Negan so quickly.

But still, this is just what they should NOT have done. What would you have liked to have seen done?

THIS:

http://taskandpurpose.com/walking-dead-full-useless-idiots-according-usmc-sgt-maj/