Preview of Wandering the Face of the Earth Now Online

Jag2112

Today marked the release of the highly anticipated book Rush: Wandering the Face of the Earth - The Official Touring History. For those still on the fence about whether or not to buy this book, you can now see a preview of it, including numerous photos, at the following link:

https://www.cygnus-x...f-the-earth.php

As someone who has had the book for a couple of weeks now, I can honestly say it is WELL worth the money. It goes well beyond a simple list of tour dates and set lists throughout Rush's history. There are numerous stories, photos, concert ads, and so much more that pack the over 400 pages of this hefty book.

Without question, a must-have for all Rush fans...

Only if you're a hardcore fan........

I ordered 3 books, 2 for myself and 1 for a friend

Two for yourself?

Yes. I want to have a backup in case it goes out of print. Just this book, though...

That could be my plan too, but for now I'm sticking with one. I'd use the second copy as a reference guide to keep thumbing through.

• Like 1

While an excellent book, it is just a book of gig listings with sporadic pictures and some brief introductory texts. A little disappointed if I being honest.

Yeah, but that gig history and the notes are pretty impressive. They even got the Sinatra situation right, from the HYF tour. (I was at the show in question.... ;) )

Ha Ha...So was I. I forgot about that until you mentioned it. I even have a cassette recording somewhere where they announced that situation from either from 92.3 or 102.7. I think the DJ was Tony Pigg if I recall.

• Like 1

Without giving any exact spoilers- How much NEW information is in the book? previously unknown gigs, setlist info, opening acts, cancellations, etc.

Once again, don't give any exact details- I want to be surprised when I do get the book.

It's a tome - not sure anyone can get through it that quick to find any previously unearthed nuggets. I read Claypool and Ungerleider's forwards - so I didn't know about Les's fishing trip. I did skip to Carress of Steel chapter - you know just to see if they had a CoS headline show set list and they...,

don't. Which does disappoint me and maybe it's a harbinger of what the whole book is - a collection of what has been on fan pages on the web, aggregated and put into hard cover book form. But there are many pictures from early on that I have never seen before and I do love the format look and feel of this book.

It has heft - befitting of their life on the road.

A few years ago I made a homebrew bootleg collection of every Rush song performed live (as in 1 performance of every song not a million Tom Sawyers). Recently I updated it and it amounts to the equivalent of 11 cds. Something like that included with the book as an addendum or compendium or whatever the hell you call it would have me in geeked out Rush heaven.

I knew about the fishing trip. Can't recall from where though. Might have been from Geddy himself, but Les tells it better.

• Like 1

I was surprised by how heavy this book is. It's a legit coffee-table book. Easily worth the money to me--very well-put together and lots of good info. Particularly the parts about the early years, there was a ton of stuff I didn't know. And even if some of it is from fan sites and other sources that isn't new information, it appears that they vetted the info with the band and management to ensure accuracy.

I'm happy with the purchase. It's a very nice companion piece to the Art of Rush book. Now if only they'd update/reissue the complete tourbooks collection they released around R30 that's out of print.

• Like 3

While an excellent book, it is just a book of gig listings with sporadic pictures and some brief introductory texts. A little disappointed if I being honest.

Yeah, but that gig history and the notes are pretty impressive. They even got the Sinatra situation right, from the HYF tour. (I was at the show in question.... ;) )

Ha Ha...So was I. I forgot about that until you mentioned it. I even have a cassette recording somewhere where they announced that situation from either from 92.3 or 102.7. I think the DJ was Tony Pigg if I recall.

There's a boot of the show out there too. During Geddy's banter you can him say, "we don't need sheet music".

• Like 1

A fair bit of bad press is included - some of it pretty nasty! But they typically say something like "In spite of [how awful, untalented, etc.] the band was, the fans loved it." . . . go figure.

A fair bit of bad press is included - some of it pretty nasty! But they typically say something like "In spite of [how awful, untalented, etc.] the band was, the fans loved it." . . . go figure.

The history of Rush wouldn't be complete without at least a mention of the bad press they got from music critics. One of the main plot lines of the story of Rush is how they become such a great success in spite of the vitriol.

• Like 2

The book has Peart's handwritten lyrics to Sir Gawain and the Green Night - the tune that was meant to be on Permanent Waves. Probably for the best that it was scrapped!
  • Like 3

The history of Rush wouldn't be complete without at least a mention of the bad press they got from music critics. One of the main plot lines of the story of Rush is how they become such a great success in spite of the vitriol.

I noticed that the reviews seemed to steadily improve the longer the band was around.

Eg. in the 70s it was almost all negative reviews, 80s were a mix, 90s were mostly good, and then after they came back from hiatus it seems they were all good. They were being praised left and right on the last few tours.

• Like 2

I noticed that the reviews seemed to steadily improve the longer the band was around.

Eg. in the 70s it was almost all negative reviews, 80s were a mix, 90s were mostly good, and then after they came back from hiatus it seems they were all good. They were being praised left and right on the last few tours.

Once you're a "legacy" act (which they were post-hiatus) the bar for reviews becomes "They've stuck around and they still sound good and put on a good show." When they were a "contemporary" band in the 70s and 80s there was a lot more room for critics to write negative things about them based on personal taste.

Edited by thizzellewashington
  • Like 1

I have scrap books with ticket stubs and concert reviews from all the concerts I went to in the 70's and 80's. Lots of Rush shows in there. And some of the early reviews were scathing but really interesting to read now.
  • Like 2

I have scrap books with ticket stubs and concert reviews from all the concerts I went to in the 70's and 80's. Lots of Rush shows in there. And some of the early reviews were scathing but really interesting to read now.

Me, who loves to save memorabilia - that it never occurred to me to do what you did astounds me today. But the only thing I saved was an unused ticket from the Fillmore East and that was stolen. I carried it in my wallet and my pocketbook was stolen at Hunter Mountain when I attempted to go skiing one weekend.

• Like 1

Me, who loves to save memorabilia - that it never occurred to me to do what you did astounds me today. But the only thing I saved was an unused ticket from the Fillmore East and that was stolen. I carried it in my wallet and my pocketbook was stolen at Hunter Mountain when I attempted to go skiing one weekend.

I have a book full of stubs from all the concerts I've attended since the late 80s, over 200 (I counted a while back) UNFORTUNATELY I didn't save any from the 70s and most of the 80s and it really bums me out now. Some examples: Zep in '77, the REAL Skynyrd Oct. '76, BTO twice, Edgar Winter Group, Bad Co first tour, Grand Funk, etc., etc., etc. I could go on and on

• Like 3

I have a book full of stubs from all the concerts I've attended since the late 80s, over 200 (I counted a while back) UNFORTUNATELY I didn't save any from the 70s and most of the 80s and it really bums me out now. Some examples: Zep in '77, the REAL Skynyrd Oct. '76, BTO twice, Edgar Winter Group, Bad Co first tour, Grand Funk, etc., etc., etc. I could go on and on

Why didn't you save the stubs from the 70s and 80s and then suddenly start saving them?

You sure have seen a lot of bands. Who else did you see?

I wish now I had gone to see Led Zep and many other bands as well.

Edited by Lorraine

Why didn't you save the stubs from the 70s and 80s and then suddenly start saving them?

I was young and stupid I guess. Wish I had a better reason for not doing so.

I've seen a LOT of bands, far too many to list. Considering I have 200+ stubs I'd guess I've attended maybe 300-350 shows. I've seen Rush the most times of any band,13 times total. I've seen Ozzy 12 times, 5 times solo (including with Randy once) and 7 times as the singer for Sabbath. Have a ticket to see him in July so if it happens he'll tie Rush for my personal most times seen. There's many, many others I've seen multiple times and plenty I saw only once.

I think the only band I've seen in each decade beginning in the 70s is Aerosmith whom I recently saw in Vegas. I saw them once each decade beginning in like '76. Kind of an odd deal.

• Like 2

I was young and stupid I guess. Wish I had a better reason for not doing so.

I've seen a LOT of bands, far too many to list. Considering I have 200+ stubs I'd guess I've attended maybe 300-350 shows. I've seen Rush the most times of any band,13 times total. I've seen Ozzy 12 times, 5 times solo (including with Randy once) and 7 times as the singer for Sabbath. Have a ticket to see him in July so if it happens he'll tie Rush for my personal most times seen. There's many, many others I've seen multiple times and plenty I saw only once.

I think the only band I've seen in each decade beginning in the 70s is Aerosmith whom I recently saw in Vegas. I saw them once each decade beginning in like '76. Kind of an odd deal.

That is cool! I have seen Rush in all decades since the 70's and the Rolling Stones. Not sure if there are any others but I will think about it. Seeing Rush or bands like Aerosmith in their hey day for $8.00 still amazes me! I never saw Led Zep but was close - I had a ticket for Montreal on the tour when Bonham died. I have my ticket and reviews from Keith Moon's last concert before he died. My ticket and all of the articles around the Keith Richards benefit concert when he was busted for heroin in Toronto. Lots of amazing memories in those books!

• Like 2

I'm so pleased with this book, by far the greatest book on Rush IMO. So glad the attendance figures also has the gross figures as well, without the $$$ you only get half the story. Superb book!!!
  • Like 4

That's how it was. Critics hated them and the fans loved them.

• Like 1

The book has Peart's handwritten lyrics to Sir Gawain and the Green Night - the tune that was meant to be on Permanent Waves. Probably for the best that it was scrapped!

Really difficult to imagine in 2019 how that would have worked. When first became a fan I always hoped a version of that existed, but after reading those lyrics I'm glad some of the music was used for Natural Science. Maybe if they green-lighted it the lyrics would have changed, but it it's current form on the page.....wow.

• Like 1

I'm so pleased with this book, by far the greatest book on Rush IMO. So glad the attendance figures also has the gross figures as well, without the $$$ you only get half the story. Superb book!!!

It's a top 5 Rush book for me. The effort was made to be comprehensive. In at least one case, there were attendance figures from 3 different sources and all were within about 50 of each other.

• Like 1

Can you post the lyrics?

Can you post the lyrics?

Let me tell the story 'bout a man named G'wain

Poor Crusader barely kept his thinking sane

Then one day he was aching for a fight

When who should he see but the bumbling Green Knight

Royal that is, pure gold, taxes free

Well the first thing you know, old G'wain on his mare

Squires both said, 'G'wain get away from there'

Said 'Camelot is the place you ought to be'

So he heeded their advice and the rest is history

Tales that is, singing fools, shooting stars

• Like 4