• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#81 Blue J

Blue J

Official SOCN Designated Driver

• Members *
  • 17940 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:14 PM

I have my eyes on another great vintage acoustic guitar- a Martin 2-1/2 17, the same model of guitar that Jimmie Rodgers played- in its original Martin coffin-style case, from the 19th century.

Posted Image

Sponsored Post

#82 Blue J

Blue J

• Members *
  • 17940 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 11:49 AM

^ Update:

It is in transit to me right now...I am stoked! Not the exact guitar in that photo, but pretty much exactly like it. Different color cloth inside the case, but other than that...

Made in 1882, and in beautiful condition.

#83 Lucas

Lucas

Leave That Wrench Alone

• Members
  • 12229 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 12:25 PM

View PostBlue J, on 10 August 2018 - 11:49 AM, said:

^ Update:

It is in transit to me right now...I am stoked! Not the exact guitar in that photo, but pretty much exactly like it. Different color cloth inside the case, but other than that...

Posted Image

whoa

Congrats Josh !!!!!!!!!!!!

pics when you get it, ok ?!?!?!?

#84 Blue J

Blue J

• Members *
  • 17940 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 02:07 PM

View PostLucas, on 10 August 2018 - 12:25 PM, said:

^ Update:

Posted Image

whoa

Thanks! Yeah, I’m excited.

And you know I’ll send you pics, Lucas!

#85 toymaker

toymaker

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 6490 posts
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 10 August 2018 - 04:46 PM

View PostBlue J, on 07 August 2018 - 07:14 PM, said:

I have my eyes on another great vintage acoustic guitar- a Martin 2-1/2 17, the same model of guitar that Jimmie Rodgers played- in its original Martin coffin-style case, from the 19th century.

Posted Image

Tried to like this twice, but couldn't.

#86 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 60069 posts
  • Interests:Ted Nugent, Your Mom

Posted 10 August 2018 - 06:41 PM

View PostBlue J, on 10 August 2018 - 02:07 PM, said:

^ Update:

Posted Image

whoa

Posted Image

#87 Blue J

Blue J

• Members *
  • 17940 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 06:42 PM

View Posttoymaker, on 10 August 2018 - 04:46 PM, said:

Tried to like this twice, but couldn't.

I liked yours, so that’ll have to make two.

Thanks!

#88 Blue J

Blue J

• Members *
  • 17940 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 06:43 PM

View Postgoose, on 10 August 2018 - 06:41 PM, said:

View PostBlue J, on 10 August 2018 - 02:07 PM, said:

^ Update:

Posted Image

whoa

Posted Image

Yeah, I don’t do the image hosting thing...I’ve known of too many people’s files getting hacked, or getting locked out of their accounts, or whatever. Not worth it to me.

#89 stoopid

stoopid

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 951 posts
  • Interests:Music, climbing

Posted 11 August 2018 - 08:41 AM

Holy crap, that can't be cheap.  Those are highly sought after, they literally don't make them like that anymore (perfect woods are rare and extremely cost prohibitive now).

#90 Blue J

Blue J

• Members *
  • 17940 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 02:02 PM

View Poststoopid, on 11 August 2018 - 08:41 AM, said:

Holy crap, that can't be cheap.  Those are highly sought after, they literally don't make them like that anymore (perfect woods are rare and extremely cost prohibitive now).

It does have a crack down the lower bout that was repaired about 20 years ago, so it’s sealed- it’s structurally sound. But I was able to get a pretty good deal on it because of that, anyway.

Other than the repaired crack, though, it really is in good shape- the back, sides and the neck and headstock. Really remarkable for 136 years old.

Edited by Blue J, 11 August 2018 - 02:11 PM.

#91 stoopid

stoopid

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 951 posts
  • Interests:Music, climbing

Posted 11 August 2018 - 02:32 PM

View PostBlue J, on 11 August 2018 - 02:02 PM, said:

It does have a crack down the lower bout that was repaired about 20 years ago, so it’s sealed- it’s structurally sound. But I was able to get a pretty good deal on it because of that, anyway.

Other than the repaired crack, though, it really is in good shape- the back, sides and the neck and headstock. Really remarkable for 136 years old.

That's obviously common on older instruments.  Only the good ones get repaired.  ;)

#92 Blue J

Blue J

• Members *
  • 17940 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 05:02 AM

View Poststoopid, on 11 August 2018 - 02:32 PM, said:

That's obviously common on older instruments.  Only the good ones get repaired.  ;)

It is a good one, indeed...I picked it up last night, and it’s beautiful.

Unfortunately, someone put regular steel strings on it, and there is a little bit of bowing on the topside body between the sound hole and the bridge. But I’ll get some nylon or silk and steel for it. I need to go out and get them, though, I don’t have any- so I haven’t been able to tune it up and play it yet. But I’m not going to with the ones that are on there now.

Lucas- I sent pics to you; feel free to post them here if you want to, since I don’t have an image hosting account.

I can’t wait to get it ready to play!

#93 Maverick

Maverick

SWEDGIN!

• Members *
  • 24673 posts
  • Interests:Painfully Geeky

Posted 15 August 2018 - 02:28 PM

I am totally gassing for a couple of new pedals. Hopefully I can swing their purchase via trade.

#94 Lucas

Lucas

Leave That Wrench Alone

• Members
  • 12229 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 11:48 PM

View PostBlue J, on 14 August 2018 - 05:02 AM, said:

Unfortunately, someone put regular steel strings on it, and there is a little bit of bowing on the topside body between the sound hole and the bridge. But I’ll get some nylon or silk and steel for it. I need to go out and get them, though, I don’t have any- so I haven’t been able to tune it up and play it yet. But I’m not going to with the ones that are on there now.

Lucas- I sent pics to you; feel free to post them here if you want to, since I don’t have an image hosting account.

Josh, the guitar is incredible !!  .. The stories that wood could tell

Let us know how she reacts when you  play her

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#95 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

The Professor

• Members
  • 4501 posts
  • Interests:playfully annoying on the verge of inappropriate.

Posted 16 August 2018 - 06:38 PM

View PostLucas, on 15 August 2018 - 11:48 PM, said:

View PostBlue J, on 14 August 2018 - 05:02 AM, said:

Josh, the guitar is incredible !!  .. The stories that wood could tell

Let us know how she reacts when you  play her

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
I'm surprised at how small it looks (yeah that's what she said). Keep it nice and you'll never lose money on it.

Thank goodness that's one classic guitar that this greaseball didn't get his paws on.

Posted Image

he plays like a f***ing chimpanzee.

Edited by HemiBeers, 16 August 2018 - 06:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users