Jump to content


A Hard Day's Night opening chord discovered

Beatles mystery chord

  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 blueschica

blueschica

    What the Puck?

  • Members
  • 6947 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Central Pa
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 13 November 2017 - 03:39 PM

I'd never realized that the famous opening chord to A Hard Day's Night was kind of a mystery. Randy Bachman and a Canadian professor think they have it all figured out. I didn't quite understand the math part but thought this was interesting!

http://www.abc.net.a...-secret/9093348

Sponsored Post

#2 Maverick

Maverick

    SWEDGIN!

  • Members *
  • 24589 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Low Earth Orbit
  • Interests:Painfully Geeky

Posted 13 November 2017 - 04:39 PM

And yet they still don't spell it out exactly in the article, do they?

#3 blueschica

blueschica

    What the Puck?

  • Members
  • 6947 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Central Pa
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 13 November 2017 - 05:30 PM

View PostMaverick, on 13 November 2017 - 04:39 PM, said:

And yet they still don't spell it out exactly in the article, do they?

:ebert:   You're right, I guess it's their secret now?  :o       I only play piano, where things are fairly obvious, so I didn't realize how challenging guitar chords could be until I read Keith Richards' autobiography.  He talks about trying to figure out old blues chords and trying to look up the guys who did them so he can see the fingering and get the right sound.

#4 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

    Beauty and the Bass

  • Members
  • 21897 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Phoenix, Arizona
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:08 PM

I thought it always sounded like a bunch of overdubs.

#5 Ancient Ways

Ancient Ways

    That's It™ Sig

  • Members
  • 16026 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:iEarth
  • Interests:Hanging out with my kids, riding my bike, playing guitar.

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:41 PM

Anyone saying they have it figured out should approach it like this:


It’s the combo of all the instruments that makes the sound.  Can’t be duplicated on just one.

#6 edhunter

edhunter

    Solar Federalist

  • Members *
  • 2728 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:54 PM

I've tried to do the same thing with the intro to Between the Wheels. They're not straight chords either.

#7 Maverick

Maverick

    SWEDGIN!

  • Members *
  • 24589 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Low Earth Orbit
  • Interests:Painfully Geeky

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:05 PM

View Postblueschica, on 13 November 2017 - 05:30 PM, said:

View PostMaverick, on 13 November 2017 - 04:39 PM, said:

And yet they still don't spell it out exactly in the article, do they?

:ebert:   You're right, I guess it's their secret now?  :o    I only play piano, where things are fairly obvious, so I didn't realize how challenging guitar chords could be until I read Keith Richards' autobiography.  He talks about trying to figure out old blues chords and trying to look up the guys who did them so he can see the fingering and get the right sound.
And how did he ever do that without the internet?  :lol:

#8 Maverick

Maverick

    SWEDGIN!

  • Members *
  • 24589 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Low Earth Orbit
  • Interests:Painfully Geeky

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:31 PM

From what I read, it sounds like a Dsus4 on one guitar, and F with an A (or a G) in the bass on another guitar (with a G it would be something like a G11add9, forgive my lack of chord theory knowledge,) some kind of F on the piano, and a D on the bass.

#9 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

    The Professor

  • Members
  • 4352 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:kalamazoo, mi
  • Interests:playfully annoying on the verge of inappropriate.

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:23 PM

sounds like these guys have it figured out....or pretty close

https://www.youtube....h?v=NkWUPu4mG2s

basic pop song stuff, so a f chord with the G on top is close enough.

don't get what the big deal is about this 'discovery'. it's not like it's geraldo with al capone's fault.

#10 blueschica

blueschica

    What the Puck?

  • Members
  • 6947 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Central Pa
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:06 PM

View PostHemiBeers, on 13 November 2017 - 08:23 PM, said:

sounds like these guys have it figured out....or pretty close

https://www.youtube....h?v=NkWUPu4mG2s

basic pop song stuff, so a f chord with the G on top is close enough.

don't get what the big deal is about this 'discovery'. it's not like it's geraldo with al capone's fault.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

#11 Maverick

Maverick

    SWEDGIN!

  • Members *
  • 24589 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Low Earth Orbit
  • Interests:Painfully Geeky

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:22 PM

View PostHemiBeers, on 13 November 2017 - 08:23 PM, said:

sounds like these guys have it figured out....or pretty close

https://www.youtube....h?v=NkWUPu4mG2s

basic pop song stuff, so a f chord with the G on top is close enough.

don't get what the big deal is about this 'discovery'. it's not like it's geraldo with al capone's fault.

That was a big Nothing Burger.  The Hard Day's Night chord is much bigger!

#12 Maverick

Maverick

    SWEDGIN!

  • Members *
  • 24589 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Low Earth Orbit
  • Interests:Painfully Geeky

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:24 PM

Looking at the notes, it's kind of like an F chord with added D and G notes at the bottom and on top.

#13 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

    Beauty and the Bass

  • Members
  • 21897 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Phoenix, Arizona
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 13 November 2017 - 11:14 PM

View PostAncient Ways, on 13 November 2017 - 06:41 PM, said:

Anyone saying they have it figured out should approach it like this:


It’s the combo of all the instruments that makes the sound.  Can’t be duplicated on just one.

That definitely sounds the closest.

#14 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

    The Professor

  • Members
  • 4352 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:kalamazoo, mi
  • Interests:playfully annoying on the verge of inappropriate.

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:14 AM

This tab has it as a Gsus2

https://tabs.ultimat...ight_tabs_60698

I played it...sure, it sounds like it could work.

But geez folks it's just one chord. non-musicians wouldn't recognize it or have the ear to notice it anyway.

#15 ytserush

ytserush

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 4141 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:United States

Posted 19 November 2017 - 10:33 AM

I always thought the Kinks kind of figured it out with "Do It Again."

#16 librarian

librarian

    Aquarian Librarian

  • Members
  • 5865 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:The Land of Jimmy Sturr

Posted 25 November 2017 - 09:04 PM

Watching Eight Days a Week Documentary on PBS right now. The hysteria - craziness. They created such joy, I :heart: the Beatles

#17 The Cat 3

The Cat 3

    Modern Day Alice Cooper

  • Members *
  • 16107 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Out in the alley

Posted 25 November 2017 - 09:09 PM

View Postytserush, on 19 November 2017 - 10:33 AM, said:

I always thought the Kinks kind of figured it out with "Do It Again."
Absolutely!

#18 The Cat 3

The Cat 3

    Modern Day Alice Cooper

  • Members *
  • 16107 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Out in the alley

Posted 25 November 2017 - 09:09 PM

View Postlibrarian, on 25 November 2017 - 09:04 PM, said:

Watching Eight Days a Week Documentary on PBS right now. The hysteria - craziness. They created such joy, I :heart: the Beatles
Same here.

#19 ReRushed

ReRushed

    My Yellow Submarine is docked at Red Sector A

  • Members
  • 19048 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New York, NY

Posted 25 November 2017 - 10:19 PM

View PostReGorLaTroy, on 25 November 2017 - 09:09 PM, said:

View Postlibrarian, on 25 November 2017 - 09:04 PM, said:

Watching Eight Days a Week Documentary on PBS right now. The hysteria - craziness. They created such joy, I :heart: the Beatles
Same here.


#20 librarian

librarian

    Aquarian Librarian

  • Members
  • 5865 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:The Land of Jimmy Sturr

Posted 25 November 2017 - 10:25 PM

^^^^That girl was talking about Georges eyelashes! ^^^^^ :lol:





Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beatles, mystery chord

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users