Why is ABBA so good?

Nate2112

Because music is subjective

http://media.giphy.com/media/3og0IMJcSI8p6hYQXS/giphy.gif

They are the Swedish Beatles but BETTER!

I've said it a million times but never meant it more than I do now:

You're on acid.

I'll have what he's having then

Where's the Beatles connection other than both being a four member group?

The Bee Gees were the English Rush.

I think the Beatles connection comes from comparing record sales and popularity. And the misconception that the Beatles were primarily a pop group. I'd love to hear ABBA bang out "Yer Blues" or "It's All Too Much".

• Like 1

You're on acid.

I think the Beatles connection comes from comparing record sales and popularity. And the misconception that the Beatles were primarily a pop group. I'd love to hear ABBA bang out "Yer Blues" or "It's All Too Much".

If so, it's a stretch of a comparison.

I don't care about the bit when someone likes (x) more than (y).

You're on acid.

If so, it's a stretch of a comparison.

I don't care about the bit when someone likes (x) more than (y).

Yeah. I always scratched my head at the comparison. Like what you like.

• Like 1

You're on acid.

I'd like to hear the beatles version of a haunting song like The Visitors or The Dau Before You Came.

You're on acid.

I'd like to hear the beatles version of a haunting song like The Visitors or The Dau Before You Came.

The Beatles broke up before synth pop. McCartney and Wings dabbled in it. Like what you like.

ABBA created some of the greatest music ever written

Why ??

Aside from the fact that I love them, you look on any one of their albums and you will see this:

All tracks written by Benny Andersson and Björn Ulvaeus

Produced by Benny Andersson and Björn Ulvaeus

ABBA was formed at a grassroots level by musicians who had been influenced by the first generation of great rock music, plus some obvious traditional influences ..

They were sincere and arguably the most talented team ever in popular music ... Add to that the amazing voices of Agnetha and Frida and the chemistry they possessed - never has the music world seen better

Agreed, plus the fact they were technically a supergroup as all four members had previously had successful seperate music careers (in Sweden at least). Although to the rest of the world they seemed to appear out of nowhere as a hit making machine, there was a load of experience behind it.

Edited by Lurkst
  • Like 2

You're on acid.

The Beatles broke up before synth pop. McCartney and Wings dabbled in it. Like what you like.

I am not talking about the style I am talking about the emotional impact.

And my point was that both hit amazing depths. Both can in many ways be written off as mere pop but that would be a disservice to the breadth of both discographies.

You're on acid.

And my point was that both hit amazing depths. Both can in many ways be written off as mere pop but that would be a disservice to the breadth of both discographies.

Both bands have legacies that are deserved. My point goes back to comparing both bands as being pop bands with massive commercial record sales. The Beatles weren't a pop band. It's a lazy generalization. As for the emotional impact of music, that's a personal reaction. ABBA doesn't hit me that way. It's not a knock. I enjoy ABBA.

You're on acid.

Both bands have legacies that are deserved. My point goes back to comparing both bands as being pop bands with massive commercial record sales. The Beatles weren't a pop band. It's a lazy generalization. As for the emotional impact of music, that's a personal reaction. ABBA doesn't hit me that way. It's not a knock. I enjoy ABBA.

Agreed. I often wonder what ABBA could have been had all four contributed to songwriting. Agnetha was a popstar in the sixties who made her name mostly writing her own hits, whilst Frida was a highly respected jazz singer. Both have interesting solo careers, particularly Frida. But aside from the song Disillusion, off of Ring Ring, the two girls never contributed to the bands songwriting. Other than push their vocals to the max, of course!

By the time ABBA came along, all four were already A listers in Scandinavia and parts of Europe. Benny was in a band called The Hep Stars, compared to The Beatles in their home country and they even reached a point in popularity that they made a movie, shot in Africa. Bjorn was a part of the folk group The Hootenany Singers and they were massive as well.

When ABBA started, they saw it as a side project and it wasn't something they expected to dominate their lives. Agnetha was essentially loaned to the guys as she had her own record contract with CBS Cupol at the time. Both girls felt a little creatively stunted in the band so stayed focused on their individual solo careers through much of their time in ABBA. And both did fairly well after ABBA (Frida released a great album produced by Phil Collins, Something's Going On).

The Beatles were more of a creative force. But ABBA utilized all that waa popular or emerging as fresh on the Scandinavian scene as much as the Beatles did with the British and American. So much so they were seen as outsiders in Sweden and frequently torn apart by the press. That just pushed ABBA to pursue grander ventures and use more and more outside influences. Voulez Vous for example is a shining example of the best elements of the Swedish pop scene of the late seventies fused with what was going on with disco.

ABBA wrote most of their songs in very simple form and the end result was often nothing like how they initially envisioned them. Fernando even has a metal outtake that has never been released. But they really played with every song in multiple styles and the invention shows.

• Like 1

this is the answer here, lol

i think ABBA sucks

Mick

Steely Dan are the same for me.

Great studio work though! I wish every album had the clarity of sound they have.

• Like 1

I feel like I've stumbled upon an island within an island of like minded individuals. TRF being the big island with everyone wandering around bumping into each other w/ Rush in common. Someone mentions 'ABBA' someone else responds "ABBA...I LOVE ABBA!" and is answered by a score of "I do too!!" Who knew we'd have this in common? Rush and ABBA? What are the odds?! :heart:
  • Like 4

Agreed. I often wonder what ABBA could have been had all four contributed to songwriting. Agnetha was a popstar in the sixties who made her name mostly writing her own hits, whilst Frida was a highly respected jazz singer. Both have interesting solo careers, particularly Frida. But aside from the song Disillusion, off of Ring Ring, the two girls never contributed to the bands songwriting. Other than push their vocals to the max, of course!

By the time ABBA came along, all four were already A listers in Scandinavia and parts of Europe. Benny was in a band called The Hep Stars, compared to The Beatles in their home country and they even reached a point in popularity that they made a movie, shot in Africa. Bjorn was a part of the folk group The Hootenany Singers and they were massive as well.

When ABBA started, they saw it as a side project and it wasn't something they expected to dominate their lives. Agnetha was essentially loaned to the guys as she had her own record contract with CBS Cupol at the time. Both girls felt a little creatively stunted in the band so stayed focused on their individual solo careers through much of their time in ABBA. And both did fairly well after ABBA (Frida released a great album produced by Phil Collins, Something's Going On).

The Beatles were more of a creative force. But ABBA utilized all that waa popular or emerging as fresh on the Scandinavian scene as much as the Beatles did with the British and American. So much so they were seen as outsiders in Sweden and frequently torn apart by the press. That just pushed ABBA to pursue grander ventures and use more and more outside influences. Voulez Vous for example is a shining example of the best elements of the Swedish pop scene of the late seventies fused with what was going on with disco.

ABBA wrote most of their songs in very simple form and the end result was often nothing like how they initially envisioned them. Fernando even has a metal outtake that has never been released. But they really played with every song in multiple styles and the invention shows.

Testify!

Edited by vaportrailer

895wmxn1lcb4qzhv93r7s91bd.1000x800x1.jpg

How goofy is that?

Goofy enough to qualify for their expense to be tax deductible in Sweden.

A harrowing fact I never knew about one of the members of ABBA, apparently Frida was born to a Swedish mother by a German father as part of a Nazi plan to "enrich the Aryan gene pool".

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2002/jun/30/kateconnolly.theobserver

895wmxn1lcb4qzhv93r7s91bd.1000x800x1.jpg

How goofy is that?

Goofy enough to qualify for their expense to be tax deductible in Sweden.

A harrowing fact I never knew about one of the members of ABBA, apparently Frida was born to a Swedish mother by a German father as part of a Nazi plan to "enrich the Aryan gene pool".

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2002/jun/30/kateconnolly.theobserver

It seems the Nazis weren't all wrong.

:gulp:

Edited by goose