Could The Drum Fill By Phil Collins In The Classic Track "In The Air Tonight" Be Better Than Any Neil Peart Fill?

RUSHHEAD666

i never considered this but damn it, Phil did nail in the air tonight. Hard to beat

Absolutely.

The song is also based on a true story. If memory serves me correctly. Phil actually did see someone kill a person by a swimming pool.

I'm sure someone posted what I'm about to write, but I'm not reading all these damn posts.

PHIL COLLINS SUCKS! as a drummer, I still like some Genesis.

I'm sure someone posted what I'm about to write, but I'm not reading all these damn posts.

I know Phil eventually sold out as a pop singer but the man can play those drums!

Perhaps you own Modern Drummer Magazine?

I think again if memory serves me correctly Phil never won a top spot in the Modern Drummer Polls.

I think he is amazing.

And if you simply are naive and just base your assumptions and analysis on Phil playing in GENESIS then once again you are wrong and narrow minded in the musical spectrum of truth.

You need to listen to Phil's side band called BRAND X.

Some of it is a bore yet you should all who read this post own or get "Unorthodox Behavior."

The track on this lp entitled "Nuclear Burn" will blow off and melt your f***ing eardrums off your silly head.

Phil is insane and an amazing drummer.

I love him.

He deserves every penny he makes.

• Like 1

I know Phil eventually sold out as a pop singer but the man can play those drums!

Perhaps you own Modern Drummer Magazine?

I think again if memory serves me correctly Phil never won a top spot in the Modern Drummer Polls.

I think he is amazing.

And if you simply are naive and just base your assumptions and analysis on Phil playing in GENESIS then once again you are wrong and narrow minded in the musical spectrum of truth.

You need to listen to Phil's side band called BRAND X.

Some of it is a bore yet you should all who read this post own or get "Unorthodox Behavior."

The track on this lp entitled "Nuclear Burn" will blow off and melt your f***ing eardrums off your silly head.

Phil is insane and an amazing drummer.

I love him.

He deserves every penny he makes.

Since rocketom may or may not read "these damn posts", I may as well post anything. Here's another Phil next to Thor.

http://www.cbr.com/wp-content/uploads/spinoff/2012/02/avengers-thor-coulson.jpg

i never considered this but damn it, Phil did nail in the air tonight. Hard to beat

Absolutely.

The song is also based on a true story. If memory serves me correctly. Phil actually did see someone kill a person by a swimming pool.

How can you actually believe this? He's refuted this on multiple occasions.

• Like 1

Absolutely.

"I Don't Believe In Love" either.

Signed,

Queensryche

Neil Peart almost quit RUSH to join The Who.

The build up, the timing, the emotion, I think it's one of those fills that just fits and makes the song so good.

I think those earlier years with Chester Thompson were brilliant as well, some of the fills in Seconds Out (eg Los Endos) have that similiar "structure" to them.

• Like 1

The build up, the timing, the emotion, I think it's one of those fills that just fits and makes the song so good.

I think those earlier years with Chester Thompson were brilliant as well, some of the fills in Seconds Out (eg Los Endos) have that similiar "structure" to them.

Absolutely.

Duke, do you love the Genesis album "Duke?" Two of my best friends think it's the greatest Genesis album of all time. I simply can't get into it.

Yes, love the Duke album, it's my favourite Genesis studio album, with Seconds Out my favourite live one.

I'd suggest Giving it one more try, at night, on headphones, from start to finish with no interruptions.

• Like 1

I like Phil, I really do, but you're trying to compare two completely different drummers who play in completely different ways. The drum fill of "In the Air Tonight" can be played by anyone who is competent enough to listen to the song a few times and take 15 minutes of trial-and-error playing to learn it. Phil is more of an improvisational drummer than Neil Peart. Listen to Brand X's albums Moroccan Roll and Unorthodox Behaviour. Better yet, try to find some live recordings of Phil playing with Brand X. It's un-f***ing-believeable that this is the same guy that made pop songs like Sussudio and One More Night. Hell, even the 70s Genesis albums that feature Phil are great examples of intricate drumming. Take a closer listen to The Cinema Show, Firth of Fifth (specifically the bridge going into Hackett's guitar solo), Los Endos...I can go on with more. Phil is just as one-of-a-kind as Neil, but both of them have different philosophies to playing and composing, and I can't compare the two based on that.

Absolutely.

Duke, do you love the Genesis album "Duke?" Two of my best friends think it's the greatest Genesis album of all time. I simply can't get into it.

Duke is SEVERELY underrated in their discography. Nearly every song on that album is perfect from beginning to end. Duke's Travels is such a great piece as well and I wish they would have played it more. Songs like Heathaze and Cul-de-Sac, which Tony Banks wrote, were never done live and I can't understand why.

Edited by Oracle
  • Like 3

Yes, love the Duke album, it's my favourite Genesis studio album, with Seconds Out my favourite live one.

I'd suggest Giving it one more try, at night, on headphones, from start to finish with no interruptions.

Wow!

I had a feeling Duke! But wow! Now I know three people on the planet who call that Genesis album their number one! Blows me away!

I'm a strange duck. I put "Calling All Stations" way above "Duke."

But my favorite Genesis album is "Foxtrot."

"Wind And Wuthering"

"Trick Of The Tail"

• Like 1

I like Phil, I really do, but you're trying to compare two completely different drummers who play in completely different ways. The drum fill of "In the Air Tonight" can be played by anyone who is competent enough to listen to the song a few times and take 15 minutes of trial-and-error playing to learn it. Phil is more of an improvisational drummer than Neil Peart. Listen to Brand X's albums Moroccan Roll and Unorthodox Behaviour. Better yet, try to find some live recordings of Phil playing with Brand X. It's un-f***ing-believeable that this is the same guy that made pop songs like Sussudio and One More Night. Hell, even the 70s Genesis albums that feature Phil are great examples of intricate drumming. Take a closer listen to The Cinema Show, Firth of Fifth (specifically the bridge going into Hackett's guitar solo), Los Endos...I can go on with more. Phil is just as one-of-a-kind as Neil, but both of them have different philosophies to playing and composing, and I can't compare the two based on that.

Yes! I totally agree with you!!

I am a bias drummer who has been playing for over 35 years and I have been playing to Rush records since then. So I get it. Nothing gets me more eternal than playing my drums to a Rush album.

It's in my DNA now. My brain is wired to the Rush canon.

I chose family business, marriage and two beautiful girls over a possible rock and roll career and I am so glad I made the right choice. "If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice."

Glad I choose the safer path.

So here we are.

Typing on a Forum.

Neil Peart VS Phil Collins.

Interesting.

I think Phil can easily match up to Neil when it comes to the Sevenites Genesis stuff, and of course he is incredible on the Brand X stuff.

I will always choose Brand YYZ at the end of the day, but Phil is GREAT!

I think I typed this already, but I can't believe that Phil Collins is NOT in the Modern Drummer Hall Of Fame!!

Now that is is such a "Shame Shame Shame."

Sincerely,

RATT

LOL

Bobby Blotzer is fun to play along with too!!

• Like 1

Absolutely.

classic urban legend

• Like 1

Absolutely.

classic urban legend

EXACTLY!!!

In my brain I know it isn't real but when I hear the song I think that it was true.

Damn.

I will never grow up.

Rock and Roll and drumming have ironically kept me young at heart.

"Hold On Your Heart."

Love,

GENESIS

Absolutely.

classic urban legend

EXACTLY!!!

In my brain I know it isn't real but when I hear the song I think that it was true.

Damn.

I will never grow up.

"Hold On Your Heart."

Love,

GENESIS

I am just amazed how many people believe a guy saw a murder and, instead of calling police, decided to get a pen, paper and some drums out and write a song. That would be a dick move.

:heart: Duke :heart:

(The album, to clarify :LOL: )

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

Absolutely.

classic urban legend

EXACTLY!!!

Damn.

I will never grow up.

"Hold On Your Heart."

Love,

GENESIS

I am just amazed how many people believe a guy saw a murder and, instead of calling police, decided to get a pen, paper and some drums out and write a song. That would be a dick move.

Now, if this were a RUSH song...

;)

Duke suffered similar production problems to Signals, a muddy synth mix. If you want to hear how good Phil Collins is/was as a drummer listen to Wind and the Wuthering, the last prog rock album by them although Duke does have a story.

Phil and his fill, FTB! As has already been mentioned in this thread, get into some Brand X, particularly the first two albums, Unorthodox Behavior and Moroccan Roll.
  • Like 2

Absolutely.

classic urban legend

EXACTLY!!!

Damn.

I will never grow up.

"Hold On Your Heart."

Love,

GENESIS

"Don't Believe A Word"

Thin Lizzy