The 2017-2018 NHL Thread

blueschica

In my years of living in MD I went to many Caps/Bruins games and watched many Capital meltdowns. I’m happy they made it to the Cup Finals and when the BRUINS are gone I tend to root for the Caps. That said I’m rooting for the Golden Knights to win it all, it makes for a great story for the NHL. I’d love to go out to Vegas and catch a game next year....does anyone know if they sold out all of their home games this inaugural year?
  • Like 2

In my years of living in MD I went to many Caps/Bruins games and watched many Capital meltdowns. I’m happy they made it to the Cup Finals and when the BRUINS are gone I tend to root for the Caps. That said I’m rooting for the Golden Knights to win it all, it makes for a great story for the NHL. I’d love to go out to Vegas and catch a game next year....does anyone know if they sold out all of their home games this inaugural year?

Unsure, what is capacity for hockey at T Mobile? Per figures from ESPN Vegas was 4th overall in the League averaging 18,042 in attendance at home and 17,873 away.

Edit: Cap is 17,500 for hockey. 18,800 for basketball, 20,000 for boxing/MMA, and varying from 12,000 to 19,600 for concerts.

Edited by pjbear05
  • Like 1

I posted this link earlier in this thread when we were discussing the Media bias & dis of the smaller markets even when Amalie Arena in Tampa (13th largest TV market in the U S) consistently ranks in the top 10 of sell outs & attendance.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/attendance

The announcers are saying Reaves was a good pick-up for Vegas before the playoffs. I give up! :facepalm:

He has bounced around from teams but has found a place where he fits in...it is sometimes just the chemistry and he and Chicago weren't a good fit.

Thankfully, Reaves never played for the Hawks. He's been a goon throughout his career, and I just found it funny that he scored a goal, and the 'experts' showered him with praises.

My mistake, I think I got him confused with Trevor Daley... :blush:

Looking at lots of predictions about the final...this one made me laugh

Amalie Benjamin, NHL.com Staff Writer

Conference final record: 0-2

Overall record: 8-6

PICK: Capitals in 6

WHY: Alex Ovechkin has been waiting for this for a long time. The Golden Knights didn't exist last season. Ovechkin prevails. :facepalm:

CONN SMYTHE WINNER: Alex Ovechkin, Capitals

That's the best you can do???

Like this one much better :ebert:

Tim Campbell, NHL.com Staff Writer

PICK: Golden Knights in 5

WHY: Goaltending and quickness are going to matter in the Final, and there has been no evidence in these playoffs that any team is better at those than the Golden Knights.

CONN SMYTHE WINNER: Marc-Andre Fleury, Golden Knights

Looks like the group of writers for the NHL were even, 7 for each team.

Hoping this is a great series for both teams and the viewing audience will be up...Go Knights!! :popcorn:

• Like 4

WHY: Alex Ovechkin has been waiting for this for a long time. The Golden Knights didn't exist last season. Ovechkin prevails. :facepalm:

CONN SMYTHE WINNER: Alex Ovechkin, Capitals

That's the best you can do???

Like this one much better :ebert:

Tim Campbell, NHL.com Staff Writer

PICK: Golden Knights in 5

WHY: Goaltending and quickness are going to matter in the Final, and there has been no evidence in these playoffs that any team is better at those than the Golden Knights.

CONN SMYTHE WINNER: Marc-Andre Fleury, Golden Knights

Looks like the group of writers for the NHL were even, 7 for each team.

Hoping this is a great series for both teams and the viewing audience will be up...Go Knights!! :popcorn:

Knights in 7 (although I would love to see Vegas sweeeeeeeep!!!)

• Like 2

The announcers are saying Reaves was a good pick-up for Vegas before the playoffs. I give up! :facepalm:

He has bounced around from teams but has found a place where he fits in...it is sometimes just the chemistry and he and Chicago weren't a good fit.

Thankfully, Reaves never played for the Hawks. He's been a goon throughout his career, and I just found it funny that he scored a goal, and the 'experts' showered him with praises.

My mistake, I think I got him confused with Trevor Daley... :blush:

Or maybe you were thinking about Jamal Mayers. He also played for the Blues and was a bit of an enforcer. Except later he decided to be more of a hockey player, and ended up a pretty good 4th-liner.
  • Like 1

Knights in 5.

Washington will eek out a win somewhere along the line, probably game one. Then Vegas runs the table after that.

:ranton: We all know who you're rooting for! So just say it! You want your Caps to win. Reverse psychology is a great tactic in long term relationships such as marriage. But in sports it is completely OK to openly root for your team no matter what happened in the past. You can see just like the rest of us your Caps season is like no other before it! Embrace it! Root for your team to win...

:rantoff:

Edited by Crimsonmistymemory

Knights in 5.

Washington will eek out a win somewhere along the line, probably game one. Then Vegas runs the table after that.

:ranton: We all know who you're rooting for! So just say it! You want your Caps to win. Reverse psychology is a great tactic in long term relationships such as marriage. But in sports it is completely OK to openly root for your team no matter what happened in the past. You can see just like the rest of us your Caps season is like no other before it! Embrace it! Root for your team to win...

I think TSS is just bracing himself for the ultimate embarrassment, the most accomplished team in Capitals history is going to lose to a team who a year ago had not even played its first game.

I'm rooting for the Caps, because Vegas winning would be a huge embarrassment for the league, and I have no skin in the game. I doubt I'll care enough to watch a minute of it, though.

• Like 1

Knights in 5.

I think TSS is just bracing himself for the ultimate embarrassment, the most accomplished team in Capitals history is going to lose to a team who a year ago had not even played its first game.

I'm rooting for the Caps, because Vegas winning would be a huge embarrassment for the league, and I have no skin in the game. I doubt I'll care enough to watch a minute of it, though.

That is exactly what I had mentioned in a previous post! The attitude when ones team ain't in who gives a F**k! Not to impune your position. However you and multiply by 1 million hockey fans that feel the same way as you, it hurts the league as a whole. For example the NFL, usually when ones favorite team gets knocked out it is perfectly acceptable to pick another team to root for, all the way to the big dance. In facination- with the eyes of the world we stare at the greatest spectical of the sports world. My team got beat in the eastern conference finals this year. I have been devestated for daze! However I will watch every game of the finals not only to promote the NHL but for the uniqueness of the situation of a 1st year team since the St. Louis Blues to have a chance to win the Holy Grail as an expansion team in the 1967-68 season. That was also when the NHL expanded to 12 teams from the original 6. In that series the Blues were swept by the Canadians which I believe was the first SCF sweep. Any way I will be watching and all :hockey: fans should do the same...

• Like 1

Knights in 5.

That is exactly what I had mentioned in a previous post! The attitude when ones team ain't in who gives a F**k! Not to impune your position. However you and multiply by 1 million hockey fans that feel the same way as you, it hurts the league as a whole. For example the NFL, usually when ones favorite team gets knocked out it is perfectly acceptable to pick another team to root for, all the way to the big dance. In facination- with the eyes of the world we stare at the greatest spectical of the sports world. My team got beat in the eastern conference finals this year. I have been devestated for daze! However I will watch every game of the finals not only to promote the NHL but for the uniqueness of the situation of a 1st year team since the St. Louis Blues to have a chance to win the Holy Grail as an expansion team in the 1967-68 season. That was also when the NHL expanded to 12 teams from the original 6. In that series the Blues were swept by the Canadians which I believe was the first SCF sweep. Any way I will be watching and all :hockey: fans should do the same...

The way the playoffs were set up there was a guarantee that a first year team would be in. I believe that every team in that division, with maybe one exception, had a losing record. ETA, they all did. The finals were a fait accompli that year. This is a completely different situation.

Edited by laughedatbytime

Knights in 5.

Vegas is a better team.

I honestly don't care who wins. I just think it's going to be Vegas.

Knights in 5.

Reverse Psychology? On who? Do you honestly think NHL players read the forums here?

It's not my fault your team didn't play to their potential. Don't take your butt hurt out on me.

• Like 1

WHY: Alex Ovechkin has been waiting for this for a long time. The Golden Knights didn't exist last season. :facepalm:

While the Knights did not exist last year, the writer fails to realize that Knights' players did. I fairly certain that they know what an opportunity is before them and are motivated accordingly.

lol.hack.sportswriters

Edited by goose
  • Like 2

WHY: Alex Ovechkin has been waiting for this for a long time. The Golden Knights didn't exist last season. :facepalm:

While the Knights did not exist last year, the writer fails to realize that Knights' players did. I fairly certain that they know what an opportunity is before them and are motivated accordingly.

lol.hack.sportswriters

It's hardly great analysis (in fact it really isn't analysis at all), but it's not intended to be, it's just a flippant line, with aspirations of nothing more.

Edited by laughedatbytime

Knights in 5.

Reverse Psychology? On who? Do you honestly think NHL players read the forums here?

It's not my fault your team didn't play to their potential. Don't take your butt hurt out on me.

Not taking anything out on you my friend. Yes my team had a total let (melt) down and I know it is not your fault. Maybe I have mistaken the fact that throughout the playoff series you had the same position as you are starting here. Saying the Caps opponents are the better team and the Caps wouldn't muster enough not win because of what happened in the past. All I am saying if you really want the Caps to win it is OK just to say so.

• Like 1

It's worth looking up a comparison between how the Knights players did last year vs. how they did this year. Some of the players' stats differentials are eyepopping.

I don't care who wins. I want 7 games. And I want each game to go into overtime. And don't give me any of that "offense sells tickets," BS. No more than 5 total goals in any one game.

It's worth looking up a comparison between how the Knights players did last year vs. how they did this year. Some of the players' stats differentials are eyepopping.

:LOL:

From zero wins to the Finals!

• Like 1

Knights in 5.

Not taking anything out on you my friend. Yes my team had a total let (melt) down and I know it is not your fault. Maybe I have mistaken the fact that throughout the playoff series you had the same position as you are starting here. Saying the Caps opponents are the better team and the Caps wouldn't muster enough not win because of what happened in the past. All I am saying if you really want the Caps to win it is OK just to say so.

I predicted Washington losing in every series so far, and I wanted them to lose. Now I'm changing my mind and I hope they win. Vegas is a great story, but I can't allow myself to enjoy their success in the SCF for reasons Laughtie has mentioned.
  • Like 1

I am looking forward to an action packed game tonight! It will be nice to watch some hockey without any anxiety and tension. Also it will be interesting to see what Vegas has planned for the opening show. Edited by Crimsonmistymemory
  • Like 1