The 80's decade clash: Def Leppard or Whitesnake?

Texas King

The 80's decade clash: Def Leppard or Whitesnake?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. The 80's decade clash: Def Leppard or Whitesnake?

• Def Leppard(On Through the Night, High 'n' Dry, Pyromania and Hysteria)
    • Whitesnake(Ready an' Willing, Come an' Get It, Saints & Sinners, Slide It In, 1987 and Slip of the Tongue)

For me Whitesnake by a country mile!

They didn't make a crappy, cheesy album as Hysteria. WS albums Ready an' Willing and Slide It In stand a way above any album by Def Leppard (though High 'n' Dry is very solid).

And Joe Elliott could only dream to be such a MAN as Coverdale is.

What you say?

• Like 1

For me Whitesnake by a country mile...Joe Elliott could only dream to be such a MAN as Coverdale is.

What you say?

Aye...

I can't listen to Def Lepard lyrics anymore.

Good battle. Def Leppard's first three albums are excellent, as is about 3/4 of Hysteria. Whitesnake was less of a metal band, more of a hard rock band up until the self titled album. Coverdale was not a great lyricist, but before he became a screamer he had one of the most beautiful voices in rock ever. And he was still great as a screamer.

I have to go with Leppard, on the strength of Pyromania, one of my favorite studio albums of all time by anyone.

• Like 1

Out the two, Def Leppard.

Whitesnake are awful. Without MTV, we wouldn't be talking about them right now.

We wouldn't be talking about Def Leppard either. They were MTV back in the 80s. Yeah, Whitesnake got a lot of rotation on the channel back then but Def Leppard was easily among the top five bands shown on there between '83 and '93.

• Like 1

We wouldn't be talking about Def Leppard either. They were MTV back in the 80s. Yeah, Whitesnake got a lot of rotation on the channel back then but Def Leppard was easily among the top five bands shown on there between '83 and '93.

Def Leppard had better tunes so without MTV they would have survived. IMO.

• Like 1

Reading this I again feel that Whitesnake pre-1987 material is incredibly underrated in America, while pretty popular and beloved in Europe.

And the album 1987 is not that bad, Still of the Night is a kickass tune. I think Scorpions and Leppard at the same time sucked a way more than 'Snake. And Aerosmith sucked also with MTV-hit songs as Dude Looks Like a Lady, Rag Doll and Love in the Elevator.

Edited by Texas King

Early to mid period Snake beats most bands, so no contest for me.

Even in the big hair years they were better than Lepp.

2015's co-headline tour was quite telling. Even with Lord Coversnake's dodgy pipes they still rocked the joint. Lepp came on then, decent start, then it was exodus to bar and loo time.

• Like 1

Def Leppard for me. I do like a good bit of Whitesnake but not more than those first 4 Def Leppard albums.

White Leppard or Def Snake. Good poll. :smoke:

Whitesnake any time of the day and all through the night.

• Like 2

Def Leppard. I can't say I can name one Whitesnake song but I loved High 'n' Dry back in the day.

For me Whitesnake by a country mile!

They didn't make a crappy, cheesy album as Hysteria. WS albums Ready an' Willing and Slide It In stand a way above any album by Def Leppard (though High 'n' Dry is very solid).

And Joe Elliott could only dream to be such a MAN as Coverdale is.

What you say?

There you go again on your own...

White Leppard or Def Snake. Good poll. :smoke:

Whitesnake any time of the day and all through the night.

That's right.

I think this Leppard VS Whitesnake is a thing of American/European split in tastes. The majority of Europeans/Brits will pick Whitesnake, while the majority of Americans Leppard. I am European also and my pick is WS, hands down.

• Like 1