McCartney

Steve Smith

I gotta tell ya, McCartney can be very, very frustrating. His albums are terribly inconsistent. I can't help but feel he includes a lot of lesser songs on his albums, some of them are embarrassing. It's like he's not even trying! And, if you explore his unreleased material and bootlegs there are songs that are fantastic. Why? The man needs an honest editor. I guess that's what he and Lennon gave each other. Anyway, the best McCartney is the best there is and he's still got it. IMHO.

Yes I agree, they inspired each other in the beginning but sadly grew apart.

John was the big brother with more charisma and swagger than Paul but he knew his "little brother" was an amazing musical talent.

It is very sad, I am sure that they would have worked together again but for what happened

• Like 1

I gotta tell ya, McCartney can be very, very frustrating. His albums are terribly inconsistent. I can't help but feel he includes a lot of lesser songs on his albums, some of them are embarrassing. It's like he's not even trying! And, if you explore his unreleased material and bootlegs there are songs that are fantastic. Why? The man needs an honest editor. I guess that's what he and Lennon gave each other. Anyway, the best McCartney is the best there is and he's still got it. IMHO.

Most of Paul's lyrics were shit and John's were incredibly profound and always thoughtful. But sometimes Paul could come up with an amazingly heart rending lyric, like Let it Be and The Long and Winding Road

• Like 3

Mccartney's solo career does way more for me than john's ever did.

he was just floundering.

plastic ono band and his Half of Double fantasy is great though.

Mick

"Double Fantasy" was a fitting tribute to Lennon. At least he managed to release his best solo work before his death

• Like 3

Most of Paul's lyrics were shit and John's were incredibly profound and always thoughtful.

Wrong on both counts. Sure, Paul was given to being nursery rhyme-ish and childish at times, but he could also give us Blackbird, Eleanor Rigby, Fool On The Hill.....

But John was pretty good at laying on the cheese(Imagine? hippie crap blandathon), and when he was bad he was woeful.

If you could keep voices like flowers

There's be shamrock all over the world

If you could drink dreams like Irish streams

Then the world would be as high as the mountain of morn(sic)

He went out tiger hunting with his elephant and gun

In case of accidents he always took his mom.

2 extreme examples, but it shows he was not above writing utter muck.

• Like 2

Most of Paul's lyrics were shit and John's were incredibly profound and always thoughtful.

Wrong on both counts. Sure, Paul was given to being nursery rhyme-ish and childish at times, but he could also give us Blackbird, Eleanor Rigby, Fool On The Hill.....

But John was pretty good at laying on the cheese(Imagine? hippie crap blandathon), and when he was bad he was woeful.

If you could keep voices like flowers

There's be shamrock all over the world

If you could drink dreams like Irish streams

Then the world would be as high as the mountain of morn(sic)

He went out tiger hunting with his elephant and gun

In case of accidents he always took his mom.

2 extreme examples, but it shows he was not above writing utter muck.

Don't forget the Lennon train wreck "What's the New Mary Jane", my vote for worst Beatles song.

• Like 1

he was just floundering.

Mick

"Double Fantasy" was a fitting tribute to Lennon. At least he managed to release his best solo work before his death

I think that's his best solo album too. Once he stopped being mad at the world and realized he could write beautiful songs without "selling out," not coincidentally when he turned 40, he produced a gem. And the pressure of releasing something substantial after John died, I think, helped Paul release his best solo album too (Tug of War).

• Like 4

he was just floundering.

Mick

I think that's his best solo album too. Once he stopped being mad at the world and realized he could write beautiful songs without "selling out," not coincidentally when he turned 40, he produced a gem. And the pressure of releasing something substantial after John died, I think, helped Paul release his best solo album too (Tug of War).

Yes. There are quite a few gems on Double Fantasy/Milk and Honey.

• Like 3

he was just floundering.

Mick

Why do you give Bon Jovi a zero????????

That is incorrect and not right

Far too high a mark dude.

Have you never heard of minus numbers?

But for hair and crotch and tight jeans they get high praise.

In fairness though, there were much worse hair bands in the 80's than them. I can name at least 20, but I don't want to get into an argument with people on this forum who like that sort of ozone layer destroying stuff.

he was just floundering.

Mick

Whether you love or hate Yoko Ono and think she controlled John, there is no doubt that she had such a positive influence on him.

The transition from a razor wielding thug in the late 50's to a gentle loving profound man 10 years later says something about him and all of us.

His song "woman" is so beautiful last love song to his wife in the same way Macca wrote love songs for Linda.

If John had not been cut down so tragically then I know they would have worked together again. After all, Paul was just his little brother.

So sad

• Like 2

In the 70's John once said in an interview that "When I hear something by Paul that is rubbish then I don't bother myself. But when I hear something really good that he has done then it motivates me to get out of bed and play the piano and try to come up with something good myself".

That was the essence of their musical relationship when they were together :) :) :)

• Like 1

I find the word genius to be thrown around to easily in regards to rock music. Apparently, there are a hell of a lot of geniuses out there!

I feel the best of McCartney is the best there is. With that said, you have to admit he has plenty of swings and misses in his discography.

I remember seeing McCartney in concert for the first time and he exceeded my expectations. I had such a good time hearing and seeing him perform his music.

Genius? Probably not. A master songwriter, craftsman and performer? Yes.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. A genius to one is a non-event to another.

• Like 1

It's hard not to think he and John are not geniuses. They both did amazing things.

Tend to agree. Incredible that they both ended up in the same band, with George thrown in too. A real Big Bang moment, a random event that spawned an entire universe...

• Like 3

Went on a McCartney binge yesterday, starting with "Band on the Run", which I'd never heard before in its entirety. Mrs. Vandebilt!

That eventually lead me to this, which is sloppy and raw and everything a rock gig should be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udVExjy5ehM

Heckler calls out request for "Satisfaction", Paul tells him to "read my lips" then mouths "f*ck off". :LOL:

Edited by vaportrailer
  • Like 1

Yea mcartney's got really awesome stuff

Ram

Band on the Run

Venus and mars

Flowers in the Dirt

Chaos And Creation

Back to the Egg

Flaming Pie

Tug of War

New

Memory Almost full

but man can he go to the other end of the spectrum

Pipes of Piece

Mccartney II

Off the Ground

Press to Play

Driving Rain

At the Speed of Sound.

So to me he is inconsistent.

but when he's on man. he's REALLY on.

Mick

I think it's a case of quantity over quality - he is obsessed with writing and doesn't know how to stop. But I love McCartney. Saw him in 93. Good show.

• Like 1

I've been re-listening to his work like crazy. I never really thought about if i had a fav beatle or not. but i'll tell you Paul is damn close.

his music out of the four is probably most linked to my childhood.

I have a distinct memory in 92 of receiving Flowers in the Dirt for my birthday. and the record was his most recent at the time. And from then on it became like a huge deal when he dropped a new album.

But my firm favs are still the same with minor tweaks

Ram

Band on the Run

Venus and Mars

Back to the Egg (Underrated IMO)

Tug of War

Pipes of Peace (In listening again. this is actually really good. not as awful as people will tell you)

Flowers in the Dirt

Flaming Pie

Chaos and Creation

Memory Almost Full (Although this is begging for a re-mix/master. it was mastered to hot)

Electric Arguments

New

For a huge body of work. he is really awesome. and has had an amazing late day period

I love this man's work.

Mick

• Like 2

I've been re-listening to his work like crazy. I never really thought about if i had a fav beatle or not. but i'll tell you Paul is damn close.

his music out of the four is probably most linked to my childhood.

I have a distinct memory in 92 of receiving Flowers in the Dirt for my birthday. and the record was his most recent at the time. And from then on it became like a huge deal when he dropped a new album.

But my firm favs are still the same with minor tweaks

Ram

Band on the Run

Venus and Mars

Back to the Egg (Underrated IMO)

Tug of War

Pipes of Peace (In listening again. this is actually really good. not as awful as people will tell you)

Flowers in the Dirt

Flaming Pie

Chaos and Creation

Memory Almost Full (Although this is begging for a re-mix/master. it was mastered to hot)

Electric Arguments

New

For a huge body of work. he is really awesome. and has had an amazing late day period

I love this man's work.

Mick

My faves are Ram, Red Rose, BOtR, and London Town. As far as just straight listening experiences. But I am with you, McCartney is very tied to my youth as well.

• Like 1