McCartney

Steve Smith

Listening to the catchy but questionably titled "Frozen Jap", and now the sweet strangeness of "Bogey Music".

"Bogey Music" sounds like 80s Holger Czukay.

And now I guess I'm going to the Darkroom...I wish that Roxy Music-esque ending went on for at least another minute.

McCartney II fills my ears with delight.

Gonna skip Tug of War for now and head into the Fireman stuff.

Mcartney II is a strange animal. but man does it grow on you. When you really take into account all paul's other music. This album was a real ballsy move.

I love it though.

Mick

I'd only ever heard the live "Coming Up", so it was all new to me. I sat there for 40 minutes and just listened. I was going to do the dishes, but couldn't believe what I was hearing. At least that's what I told my wife...

Wings Over America will be up after the Fireman, as per your recommendation. Thanks! :cheers:

I think you'll love the live album. people like to Bash the Wings era........but they rocked live.

Particularly the line up on WOA of Joe English, the Mccartney's, Denny Laine and Jimmy Mcculloch

Mick

Best Wings line up.

It was a shame about Jimmy fabulous lead player.

Mick

His lead solo really breathes life into "Maybe I'm Amazed", for example.

One of my favorite songs ever. And this was the version I heard first, when Rock Show was on TV on a Friday night around 1980. While there's something special about Paul playing all the instruments on the studio version, this one is the definitive one IMO.

• Like 2

Me in 1993 not long after seeing McCartney in Atlanta on his New World Tour (wasn't there another band who had a tour named that?) ;) wearing my shirt. Wish I still had it, I have no idea what happened to it ... Georgia Dome, waaayyyy in the back. But dammit, I was there! The only Beatle I have seen live.

20479674_685931564945342_5059858571037519727_n.jpg?oh=0495143d834a6cf8455fdc1d3a674046&oe=5A2F26EF

I not only saw that tour (Anaheim), I still have that exact same shirt and it's in great shape. I'll do a selfie with it on and post it soon.

http://i64.tinypic.com/ei1aus.jpg

• Like 4

Me in 1993 not long after seeing McCartney in Atlanta on his New World Tour (wasn't there another band who had a tour named that?) ;) wearing my shirt. Wish I still had it, I have no idea what happened to it ... Georgia Dome, waaayyyy in the back. But dammit, I was there! The only Beatle I have seen live.

20479674_685931564945342_5059858571037519727_n.jpg?oh=0495143d834a6cf8455fdc1d3a674046&oe=5A2F26EF

I not only saw that tour (Anaheim), I still have that exact same shirt and it's in great shape. I'll do a selfie with it on and post it soon.

http://i64.tinypic.com/ei1aus.jpg

Awesome! :cheers:

Last night Paul McCartney provided a very enjoyable evening at the Prudential Center. The man, even at the age of 75, can cross genres convincingly and wonderfully. A fantastic night of music.

What's he playing these days outside the usuals, like Hey Jude and Maybe I'm Amazed, etc?

Last night Paul McCartney provided a very enjoyable evening at the Prudential Center. The man, even at the age of 75, can cross genres convincingly and wonderfully. A fantastic night of music.

What's he playing these days outside the usuals, like Hey Jude and Maybe I'm Amazed, etc?

Last night's setlist:

A Hard Day's Night

Junior's Farm

Can't Buy Me Love

Jet

Listen to What the Man Said

Let Me Roll It

I've Got a Feeling

My Valentine

Nineteen Hundred and Eighty- Five

Maybe I'm Amazed

I've Just Seen a Face

In Spite of All the Danger

You Won't See Me

Love Me Do

And I Love Her

Blackbird

Here Today

Queenie Eye

New

Lady Madonna

FourFIveSeconds

Eleanor Rigby

I Wanna Be Your Man

Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite

Something

Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da

Band on the Run

Back in the U.S.S.R.

Let It Be

Live and Let Die

Hey Jude

Encore:

Yesterday

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)

Helter Skelter

I Saw Her Standing There

Golden Slumbers

Carry That Weight

The End

He also plays "Save Us", "Letting Go", "Temporary Secretary", "We Can Work It Out", "Hi Hi Hi" and "Birthday" on alternate shows.

Edited by ReRushed
  • Like 5

Last night's setlist:

A Hard Day's Night

Junior's Farm

Can't Buy Me Love

Jet

Let Me Roll It

I've Got a Feeling

My Valentine

Maybe I'm Amazed

I've Just Seen a Face

You Won't See Me

Love Me Do

And I Love Her

Blackbird

Here Today

Queenie Eye

New

Lady Madonna

FourFIveSeconds

Eleanor Rigby

I Wanna Be Your Man

Something

Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da

Band on the Run

Back in the U.S.S.R.

Let It Be

Live and Let Die

Hey Jude

Encore:

Yesterday

Helter Skelter

I Saw Her Standing There

Golden Slumbers

Carry That Weight

The End

He also plays "Save Us", "Letting Go", "Temporary Secretary", "We Can Work It Out", "Hi Hi Hi" and "Birthday" on alternate shows.

Good lord, that's almost 40 songs! Did he have an oxygen tank onstage? :P

What were a few of the highlights for you, if you don't mind me asking?

thanks!

Last night's setlist:

A Hard Day's Night

Junior's Farm

Can't Buy Me Love

Jet

Let Me Roll It

I've Got a Feeling

My Valentine

Maybe I'm Amazed

I've Just Seen a Face

You Won't See Me

Love Me Do

And I Love Her

Blackbird

Here Today

Queenie Eye

New

Lady Madonna

FourFIveSeconds

Eleanor Rigby

I Wanna Be Your Man

Something

Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da

Band on the Run

Back in the U.S.S.R.

Let It Be

Live and Let Die

Hey Jude

Encore:

Yesterday

Helter Skelter

I Saw Her Standing There

Golden Slumbers

Carry That Weight

The End

thanks!

He did a nice acoustic set from "I've Just Seen a Face" to "Here Today" with "In Spite of All the Danger" being my personal highlight. I love his version of "Something". It's a really nice tribute to George Harrison. And hearing him do Wings songs like "Junior's Farm" and "Let Me Roll It" was great. And "Live and Let Die" never ceases to entertain.

• Like 2

thanks!

He did a nice acoustic set from "I've Just Seen a Face" to "Here Today" with "In Spite of All the Danger" being my personal highlight. I love his version of "Something". It's a really nice tribute to George Harrison. And hearing him do Wings songs like "Junior's Farm" and "Let Me Roll It" was great. And "Live and Let Die" never ceases to entertain.

Nice! He has such a great band too. You have very lucky ears!

Cheers;

vt

• Like 1

Last night's setlist:

A Hard Day's Night

Junior's Farm

Can't Buy Me Love

Jet

Let Me Roll It

I've Got a Feeling

My Valentine

Maybe I'm Amazed

I've Just Seen a Face

You Won't See Me

Love Me Do

And I Love Her

Blackbird

Here Today

Queenie Eye

New

Lady Madonna

FourFIveSeconds

Eleanor Rigby

I Wanna Be Your Man

Something

Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da

Band on the Run

Back in the U.S.S.R.

Let It Be

Live and Let Die

Hey Jude

Encore:

Yesterday

Helter Skelter

I Saw Her Standing There

Golden Slumbers

Carry That Weight

The End

Did he play Something with the ukulele? I love the story he tells about George being a very talented uke player before doing that one.

He's such a great front man. Harry Connick, Jr. is a lot like him live, in that he tells really cool stories about the ideas for songs, and then follows the stories up with really great performances.

Last night's setlist:

A Hard Day's Night

Junior's Farm

Can't Buy Me Love

Jet

Let Me Roll It

I've Got a Feeling

My Valentine

Maybe I'm Amazed

I've Just Seen a Face

You Won't See Me

Love Me Do

And I Love Her

Blackbird

Here Today

Queenie Eye

New

Lady Madonna

FourFIveSeconds

Eleanor Rigby

I Wanna Be Your Man

Something

Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da

Band on the Run

Back in the U.S.S.R.

Let It Be

Live and Let Die

Hey Jude

Encore:

Yesterday

Helter Skelter

I Saw Her Standing There

Golden Slumbers

Carry That Weight

The End

God I wish he had played Junior's Farm and Helter Skelter back when I saw him. The most imaginative addition to the set I heard was Fixing a Hole. I can't believe he is doing Mr. Kite.

Edited by Wil1972
  • Like 1

I looked up a setlist from the show I saw on his New World Tour - his set list these days definitely has a better selection of fan faves rather than just hits. He didn't even do Jet or Maybe I'm Amazed when I saw him:

Drive My Car

Coming Up

Looking for Changes

Another Day

All My Loving

Let Me Roll It

Peace in the Neighborhood

Off the Ground

Can't Buy Me Love

We Can Work it Out

And I Love Her

Ain't No Sunshine

Hope of Deliverance

Michelle

Biker like an Icon

Here There and Everywhere

Yesterday

My Love

Lady Madonna

C'Mon People

Magical Mystery Tour

Let it Be

Live and Let Die

The Long and Winding Road

Paperback Writer

Fixing a Hole

Back in the USSR

Penny Lane

Sgt Pepper - reprise

encore:

Band on the Run

I Saw Her Standing There

Hey Jude

• Like 1

I looked up a setlist from the show I saw on his New World Tour - his set list these days definitely has a better selection of fan faves rather than just hits. He didn't even do Jet or Maybe I'm Amazed when I saw him:

Drive My Car

Coming Up

Looking for Changes

Another Day

All My Loving

Let Me Roll It

Off the Ground

Can't Buy Me Love

We Can Work it Out

And I Love Her

Ain't No Sunshine

Hope of Deliverance

Michelle

Biker like an Icon

Yesterday

My Love

Lady Madonna

C'Mon People

Magical Mystery Tour

Let it Be

Live and Let Die

Paperback Writer

Fixing a Hole

Back in the USSR

Penny Lane

Sgt Pepper - reprise

encore:

Band on the Run

I Saw Her Standing There

Hey Jude

This is a fabulous set list. I guess it would be pretty difficult to mess up with so many great songs to choose from.

• Like 2

Drive My Car

Coming Up

Looking for Changes

Another Day

All My Loving

Let Me Roll It

Off the Ground

Can't Buy Me Love

We Can Work it Out

And I Love Her

Ain't No Sunshine

Hope of Deliverance

Michelle

Biker like an Icon

Yesterday

My Love

Lady Madonna

C'Mon People

Magical Mystery Tour

Let it Be

Live and Let Die

Paperback Writer

Fixing a Hole

Back in the USSR

Penny Lane

Sgt Pepper - reprise

encore:

Band on the Run

I Saw Her Standing There

Hey Jude

This is a fabulous set list. I guess it would be pretty difficult to mess up with so many great songs to choose from.

It is a good one - just wish he had thrown in a few deeper ones, and some of the hits that he left out had me scratching my head. No Silly Love Songs? No Junior's Farm? Hi Hi Hi? And stuff like Too Many People, Listen to What the Man Said, missing? Don't get me wrong - I loved it. But his recent shows seem more varied. I know it has to be near impossible to put together a good set list when you have that much music. But I really would have liked a few more surprises.

Drive My Car

Coming Up

Looking for Changes

Another Day

All My Loving

Let Me Roll It

Off the Ground

Can't Buy Me Love

We Can Work it Out

And I Love Her

Ain't No Sunshine

Hope of Deliverance

Michelle

Biker like an Icon

Yesterday

My Love

Lady Madonna

C'Mon People

Magical Mystery Tour

Let it Be

Live and Let Die

Paperback Writer

Fixing a Hole

Back in the USSR

Penny Lane

Sgt Pepper - reprise

encore:

Band on the Run

I Saw Her Standing There

Hey Jude

It is a good one - just wish he had thrown in a few deeper ones, and some of the hits that he left out had me scratching my head. No Silly Love Songs? No Junior's Farm? Hi Hi Hi? And stuff like Too Many People, Listen to What the Man Said, missing? Don't get me wrong - I loved it. But his recent shows seem more varied. I know it has to be near impossible to put together a good set list when you have that much music. But I really would have liked a few more surprises.

Always leave them wanting more. McCartney is a musician who has no problem doing it.

• Like 1

Drive My Car

Coming Up

Looking for Changes

Another Day

All My Loving

Let Me Roll It

Off the Ground

Can't Buy Me Love

We Can Work it Out

And I Love Her

Ain't No Sunshine

Hope of Deliverance

Michelle

Biker like an Icon

Yesterday

My Love

Lady Madonna

C'Mon People

Magical Mystery Tour

Let it Be

Live and Let Die

Paperback Writer

Fixing a Hole

Back in the USSR

Penny Lane

Sgt Pepper - reprise

encore:

Band on the Run

I Saw Her Standing There

Hey Jude

Always leave them wanting more. McCartney is a musician who has no problem doing it.

True enough.

Last night's setlist:

A Hard Day's Night

Junior's Farm

Can't Buy Me Love

Jet

Let Me Roll It

I've Got a Feeling

My Valentine

Maybe I'm Amazed

I've Just Seen a Face

You Won't See Me

Love Me Do

And I Love Her

Blackbird

Here Today

Queenie Eye

New

Lady Madonna

FourFIveSeconds

Eleanor Rigby

I Wanna Be Your Man

Something

Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da

Band on the Run

Back in the U.S.S.R.

Let It Be

Live and Let Die

Hey Jude

Encore:

Yesterday

Helter Skelter

I Saw Her Standing There

Golden Slumbers

Carry That Weight

The End

I got the alternate setlist at the very beginning of this tour, April '16.

Just coming off a big McCartney binge. Haven't listened to everything yet, maybe 16 albums in full, giving most of them 3 spins, often more!

The thing about McCartney's output is that even if a song sucks doesn't delight, he sings it well. And even if the singing is average, the song probably has a cool bass line, or an interesting arrangement.

Take "Arrow Thru Me" for example. Not a song that I'd normally choose to listen to, but I can enjoy his weird strained-sounding vocal and the funk/horn line in 7/4 that sits on top of the 4/4 song.

So far, these are the ones that I've played the most/keep coming back to:

Ram - this damn album just keeps giving and giving. Great bassline in "Eat at Home". Gonna have to listen to "Thrillington" next! :D

Band on the Run - it took a while, but now I'm a fan of the whole thing. Great drum and bass work by Paul (Mrs Vandebilt's bassline is pretty sweet).

McCartney II - I didn't realize how experimental Paul stayed throughout his career, thinking he was done with that kinda stuff with the Beatles. Boy, was I mistaken! This floored me on first listen with it's freshness and willingness to go anywhere. I still love "Bogey Music", and "Summer's Day Song" still chokes me up. Great fun for the ears.

Back to the Egg - I liked the first side from the get-go, as there are some great rockers on there. The 2nd side droops into some schmaltz but has "To You", which reminds me of Cheap Trick, and has a killer bassline.

McCartney - Half-baked (although it sounds like Paul was fully baked) but mostly interesting, with some great melodies (the instrumental bridge in "Every Night" is beautiful, and that little off-the-cuff spin he gives to it the last time he sings it - so damn good). The record is sadly marred by a few indulgent instrumentals, but those are easily skipped. Although I was unimpressed on 1st listen, "Junk" has a great melody and a couple of cool harmonic twists and turns. I love half of this album!

Really liked the Fireman albums, in particular Rushes and Electric Arguments (which is pretty much McCartney III), with the latter begging repeat listens.

And Twin Freaks is a lot of fun. Where the hell does this bassline come from? (appears at 0:32, prominent at 3:40) Cool use of mellotron or Chamberlain or whatever it is.

Next up: Off the Ground, Chaos & Creation, Memory Almost Full, Liverpool Sound Collage and Thrillington!

Oh yeah, Run Devil Run was also a fun listen. Will have to check that one out again. "No Other Baby" was a real standout.

Paul = great

• Like 4

Had nothin' going on this past weekend, so listened to a dozen or so McCartney albums, some of which I hadn't heard before. Fun weekend!

Liverpool Sound Collage

Thrillington - goofy, but really good arrangements. I enjoyed this more than I thought I would.

Chaos & Creation

Memory Almost Full

Speed of Sound

Off the Ground

Flowers in the Dirt ("This One" is a real standout)

London Town ("I'm Carrying" is a good little earworm)

Tug of War

New

Rushes (Fireman) - kinda reminds me of the Wish You Were Here album (trippy/spacey, melancholic, rocks in spots), but much more fun to listen to! :P

And Electric Arguments is a mighty fine thing for the ears. Really enjoying this one. Up there with McCartney II methinks.

Looking forward to another listen of Chaos and the sound collage and and and...

Mister McCartney, sir, you delight my ears. :yes:

2ecce57cb19128d03862e34cce2c6c2f--seaside-style-stunning-photography.jpg

• Like 2

London Town is an underrated gem of an album. A little on the soft rock side but damn some good stuff, and Denny Laine near matches Macca for songwriting on that one.

I love that album. My buddy Rich(RIP) and I would :smoke: to this album back in 1979.

• Like 1