Emerson Lake and Palmer

MrMiltonBanana

I think the "Return of the Manticore" boxset is one of the better boxsets I've come across. It runs at 4 discs and covers their entire career, with all the extended suites and album highlights etc etc etc, and it has some new recordings from 1993 or so that are actually GOOD, unlike most new material on boxsets and retrospectives. Good stuff.

QUOTE (MrMiltonBanana @ Nov 27 2005, 12:43 AM)
Who likes 'em! I have The albums ELP, Tarkus, Pictures, Trilogy, And my pop has BSS. So yeah...

ohmy.gif You not got Brain Salad Surgery??? ohmy.gif

This is an absolute CLASSIC! 1022.gif

I love ELP. At the moment, I've managed to get my hands on Tarkus, ELP, BSS, Trilogy and Pictures at an Exhibition. The main reason I haven't got more is the fact that, when I had the money to buy music, I was too busy catching up on Rush.

"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends."

They are my favourite band. The first band I ever saw live. 23rd Nov 1972 at the Capitol Theatre, Cardiff.

You must put their DVD "Beyond The Beginning" on your christmas lists if you haven't got it already. Great fun, great live footage.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Nov 27 2005, 12:32 AM)
I think the "Return of the Manticore" boxset is one of the better boxsets I've come across. It runs at 4 discs and covers their entire career, with all the extended suites and album highlights etc etc etc, and it has some new recordings from 1993 or so that are actually GOOD, unlike most new material on boxsets and retrospectives. Good stuff.

I have that box set as well. Great stuff!

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Nov 27 2005, 07:30 AM)
Who likes 'em! I have The albums ELP, Tarkus, Pictures, Trilogy, And my pop has BSS. So yeah...

yes.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Nov 27 2005, 02:28 PM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Nov 27 2005, 12:32 AM)

I have that box set as well. Great stuff!

I third the box set recommendation. It has a lot of stuff on it that I really get into. My favorite pices include Pirates, Tarkus, Toccata con Fuoco (not to be mistaken for the cover of Ginastera's Toccata, also excellent), and Pictures at an Exhibition. Some of the pieces are long, but they are worth getting acquainted with. Make sure you have enough time to listen before trying. Anyway, the box set was one of the best investments I made. I have gotten a lot of enjoyment out of it.

Also, Carl Palmer was supposedly the only rock drummer that Buddy Rich liked.

Strangely, most prog bands except Pink Floyd tend to be looked at as a joke. It is sad. Yes were great, ELP no question rocked, Genesis were fantastic and of course Rush and Pink Floyd rock! Rush and Pink Floyd remain the two best bands I ever saw live. I know Roger Waters was not with Floyd in 1994 when I saw them but to me PF was David Gilmour's atmospheric voice and guitar work, Rick Wright's heavenly keyboards, Nick Mason's straight-forward drumming and Roger Waters' angry lyrics and vision. Also, Syd Barrett's fairy-tale style was brilliant. I was just a year old when ELP last toured at the height of fame in 1977. Welcome Back My Friends is one of the best live albums EVER! The Manticore box set is unfortunately OUT OF PRINT now!

QUOTE (floydfanatic111 @ Nov 29 2005, 10:07 PM)
Strangely, most prog bands except Pink Floyd tend to be looked at as a joke. It is sad. Yes were great, ELP no question rocked, Genesis were fantastic and of course Rush and Pink Floyd rock! Rush and Pink Floyd remain the two best bands I ever saw live. I know Roger Waters was not with Floyd in 1994 when I saw them but to me PF was David Gilmour's atmospheric voice and guitar work, Rick Wright's heavenly keyboards, Nick Mason's straight-forward drumming and Roger Waters' angry lyrics and vision. Also, Syd Barrett's fairy-tale style was brilliant. I was just a year old when ELP last toured at the height of fame in 1977. Welcome Back My Friends is one of the best live albums EVER! The Manticore box set is unfortunately OUT OF PRINT now!

You can get the Return of the Manticore box set at amazon.com.

I had their "Live in Montreux" DVD for Christmas. Very good it is too.

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Nov 27 2005, 07:30 AM)

wink.gif Yep must agree wink.gif I have it on that old stuff...Vyn..or something..not got round to getting the CD...January sales !! wink.gif

I've been lucky enough to see them twice in my life and each time (12 years apart) was just fantastic!

For me BSS is still their best piece of work. Except for when Keith Emerson throws his B3 all around the stage in concert...now that's entertainment!! wink.gif

Listening to Take A Pebble now.

What a brilliant track. Crystal clear voice, acoustic guitar, drums and piano.

Agreed, great band. Finally had a chance to see them in 1996 when they opened for Jethro Tull. Shorter set, but still great!

How about the ELPowell album? Thoughts? I'm a Cozy Powell fan anyway, so I thought it was pretty good. Did anyone here catch them on that tour?

I really like the ELPowell CD. You're right Cozy powell was a great drummer, he's sadly missed in British rock.

In fact I also like the Three to the Power of Three CD too.

Nice interview with Carl Palmer here:

http://www.classicrockrevisited.com/Interv...arlPalmer06.htm

I got to see 'em with Dream Theater and Deep Purple. Incredible! I have to admit Deep Purple did steal the show, though. I never though that much of them until I saw them live. DT was good, but they played earlier than expected and there were only a few people in the pavillion to see them. But to see Carl Palmer, Keith Emerson and Greg Lake was indeed spectacular to say the least! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Archived