The Big Four (of Grunge)

The Big 4 of Grunge  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite?

• Alice in Chains
    • Nirvana
    • Pearl Jam
    • Soundgarden

Soundgarden as an exmple was more in line with Classic Sabbath IMO.

Mick

Agree and that's why I voted for them. I like them all though when AiC is in their droning, sludgy heroin mode they're difficult to listen to.

Pearl Jam did a good job at alienating a lot of their fans after their third album. A good chunk of the albums that came after had songs with too much focus on alt. rock, too much screaming in Eddie´s vocals and not much in terms of melody, execpt a handful of songs. But they´ve sort of changed it around a bit recently.

Based on the biographical Cameron Crowe movie I would say they did this on purpose.

• Like 1

Pearl Jam did a good job at alienating a lot of their fans after their third album. A good chunk of the albums that came after had songs with too much focus on alt. rock, too much screaming in Eddie´s vocals and not much in terms of melody, execpt a handful of songs. But they´ve sort of changed it around a bit recently.

My favorite PJ albums bar none:

No Code

Yield

Binaural

• Like 2

The Avacado album I thought was EXCELLENT.

• Like 2

They are all good but AIC is probably my favorite. If there was going to be a fifth band I would say it would probably be Stone Temple Pilots. Does anyone else agree with that?
  • Like 1

I stopped listening after Yield for awhile but got back into them with the avacado one. Not stopping again.

• Like 1

About PJ: I tried to enjoy Binaural, but it´s just not my thing. The Avocado album is 50/50 for me, but with two awesome songs: Marker in the Sand and Unemployable. No Code, Yield, Backspacer and surprisingly Riot Act are my favourite ones for a full listen these days.

They are all good but AIC is probably my favorite. If there was going to be a fifth band I would say it would probably be Stone Temple Pilots. Does anyone else agree with that?

Yeah, in terms of widespread exposure.

About PJ: I tried to enjoy Binaural, but it´s just not my thing. The Avocado album is 50/50 for me, but with two awesome songs: Marker in the Sand and Unemployable. No Code, Yield, Backspacer and surprisingly Riot Act are my favourite ones for a full listen these days.

Oh I was under the impression that you didnt like Code/Yield. ;) I couldn't get into Riot Act. Or Avocado. Or Backspacer. Loved Lightning Bolt though.

I voted for Nirvana, but truth be told, all four of those bands have been played to death, and I could die a happy man if I never hear one of their songs again.

Want some good grunge? I present Screaming Trees. :haz:

• Like 2

I stopped listening after Yield for awhile but got back into them with the avacado one. Not stopping again.

I stopped listening after 10. :LOL:

Ok ILSnwdog's in the thread. We better just put down our CDs and slowly back away from them while he reviews them and tells us whether we should be listening to them or not. And if it's not then he'll burn them all with his flame throwing bullet CD destroyer gun :bang bang: Edited by treeduck

Ok ILSnwdog's in the thread. We better just put down our CDs and slowly back away from them while he reviews them and tells us whether we should be listening to them or not. And if it's not then he'll burn them all with his flame throwing bullet CD destroyer gun :bang bang:

Are you scared? ;)

Ok ILSnwdog's in the thread. We better just put down our CDs and slowly back away from them while he reviews them and tells us whether we should be listening to them or not. And if it's not then he'll burn them all with his flame throwing bullet CD destroyer gun :bang bang:

Are you scared? ;)

:eh: :yes: :outtahere:

:smoke:

• Like 1

I voted for Nirvana, but truth be told, all four of those bands have been played to death, and I could die a happy man if I never hear one of their songs again.

Nice. Got any Mudhoney in yer bag?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwNdLjqaMLs

Excellent band, great album!

• Like 1

PJ is the best of the bunch, by a looooooong shot. They've been around the longest, and aside from the drummer, have kept the same lineup. All others have good moments and songs, but PJ are the most consistent.

They have their share of amelodic songs, but each album has a cool melodic track for those who miss them. And Eddie Vedder is an absolute monster on the stage. Not to mention that each night they play, the setlist is completely different - 100% unique!

I completely agree with this, besides they play their live shows forever with multiple encores almost 3 hours. That's one of the unique things about the band is their setlist is that it does change completely from show to show. They have a faithful following like the Grateful Dead because of that. I've argued on their board about RUSH and how RUSH hardly ever changes their setlist from show to show. I sometimes have to remind them it's only three members to RUSH and it's just not so easy and simple to change things up from show to show.

• Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwNdLjqaMLs

Nice. Got any Mudhoney in yer bag?

Actually, I don't. :(

Nirvana, no close second for me, while I admit to the greatness of those other bands. I used to really dislike PJ but eventually had to notice that they have become a historically great rock band over the years (still can't watch five seconds of "Jeremy" though).

Still find it amazing that Kurt could take a chord structure so simple as this, with repetitively simple lyrics, sloppy (intentionally?) guitar, and make a completely kickarse song out of it all; and a throwaway song as well. The guy had a very very rare gift (obviously). Despite a sincere disinterest in pandering to his audience, and being almost always dark and morose, his songs are usually catchy; a natural songwriter if there ever was:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zknlwXuGJUg

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1

Nirvana, no close second for me, while I admit to the greatness of those other bands. I used to really dislike PJ but eventually had to notice that they have become a historically great rock band over the years (still can't watch five seconds of "Jeremy" though).

Still find it amazing that Kurt could take a chord structure so simple as this, with repetitively simple lyrics, sloppy (intentionally?) guitar, and make a completely kickarse song out of it all; and a throwaway song as well. The guy had a very very rare gift (obviously). Despite a sincere disinterest in pandering to his audience, and being almost always dark and morose, his songs are usually catchy; a natural songwriter if there ever was:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zknlwXuGJUg

His drummer could write a lick or two as well. ;)