Bands You're Obsessing Over Right Now

7 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

Within Temptation, Spiritbox and Disturbed 

Okay I LOVE this combo

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Okay I LOVE this combo

Have you heard Spiritbox's new EP, The Fear Of Fear?. It's really good. It tells a story of some kind. I don't really know because I rarely have a clue what most of Courtney LaPlante's lyrics are about even though I love her writing style.

The new Within Temptation I think is great. I would only put The Heart Of Everything and Silent Force above it.

As for Disturbed, I just got an urge to listen to them again. Not sure what brought it on. Maybe it's just because I haven't listened to them too much in the last few years. They were one of my favorite bands in the 2000s but I just feel off from listening to them for a while. Their first five albums still hold up well. I didn't like the two albums after that. Kind of felt to me like they were just mailing it in. Their newest album is good though. Kind of got a little bit of that aggressiveness back on a number of the songs.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

Have you heard Spiritbox's new EP, The Fear Of Fear?. It's really good. It tells a story of some kind. I don't really know because I rarely have a clue what most of Courtney LaPlante's lyrics are about even though I love her writing style.

The new Within Temptation I think is great. I would only put The Heart Of Everything and Silent Force above it.

As for Disturbed, I just got an urge to listen to them again. Not sure what brought it on. Maybe it's just because I haven't listened to them too much in the last few years. They were one of my favorite bands in the 2000s but I just feel off from listening to them for a while. Their first five albums still hold up well. I didn't like the two albums after that. Kind of felt to me like they were just mailing it in. Their newest album is good though. Kind of got a little bit of that aggressiveness back on a number of the songs.

I wasn't sold on Spiritbox until I watched live videos recently. Wow.

I shall try the EP, and revisit their albums!

As for Within Temptation, I love even their weakest albums. But the new one is exceptional!! I adore it about as much as I do Resist. In fact, with THOE they could be my top three.

The Silent Force isn't any less magnificent just because its in fourth. Like let's not pretend rankings changes ratings!

Disturbed are...interesting to me. I love them in a strange way because whilst I don't think of them as great, or think they have that many decent album, I thoroughly enjoy a lot of their singles and they are just so charismatic.

• Like 1

Same three as pretty much always:

In Flames, Taylor Swift and Pearl Jam

Two people here nobody will care about.  Well one is "uncool" (like i ever cared, lol)  and i don't think the other is well known.

Barry Manilow

Peter Allen.

Barry is barry.  Cheesey but i ADORE his arrangement skills.  saw him live too.  Throughly enjoyable performer.

and Peter Allen was an austrailian singer/songwriter.  very flashy. very broadway but wrote classics for himself and other singers .

Mick

• Like 1

Okay, so let me get the two obvious out of the way:

Taylor Swift

Pearl Jam

Annnnnd now:

The Gaslight Anthem and The Killers 

Yeah, I'm not very metal these days.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

Taylor Swift

In Flames

Dan Fogelberg

The Gaslight Anthem

Oddly have barely played Pearl Jam. 

Taylor Swift, just Speak Now for now.

This is going to influence my songwriting, I dare to believe for the better.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Yay!

Taylor Swift I hope doesn't go the way of Mariah Carey, where somehow, one dark day, the world forgot she was a terrific songwriter and an exceptional lyricist.

You may find yourself dismissing Taylor Swifts hits, and then catch a hook or a line that makes you hear the song in a different light.

I find her irritating, super catchy pop hits like Shake It Off or We Are Never... have some of the most audacious, confrontational and HUMOUROUS elements all combined to raise them a cut above plenty of comparable songs that are otherwise straight up dumb. And they benefit her, because they are a minority in her discography meaning the deeper cuts shine ever so much brighter.

I have been a fan so long I've never been able to be shocked by her quality, but I get why her hits confuse non-fans. 

She didn't win Album Of The Year at the Grammys three times for nothing.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2024 at 10:49 PM, Entre_Perpetuo said:

i'm a huge fan as you know.  and i'm glad you're finally seeing it.  Honestly always thought it odd she never appealed to you from the off, lol

oh well you're here now.  i will admit not everything she does is a lovefest from me.  in fact some of her choices annoy me.  BUT.  i've learned to respect all aspects of her career.

My top 5  albums for your reference if you want

1. Red

2. Folklore

3. Speak now (you know this bad boy, lol0

4. Lover

5. 1989 taylor's Version (yes i'm recommended you here re-record of this.  only rerecord i endorse actually.  but it improves on the original in every way)

Actually her re-records are a high source of frustration for me but i'll go in depth if you ever get to them, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

On 1/8/2024 at 11:39 PM, Segue Myles said:

Yay!

Taylor Swift I hope doesn't go the way of Mariah Carey, where somehow, one dark day, the world forgot she was a terrific songwriter and an exceptional lyricist.

You may find yourself dismissing Taylor Swifts hits, and then catch a hook or a line that makes you hear the song in a different light.

I find her irritating, super catchy pop hits like Shake It Off or We Are Never... have some of the most audacious, confrontational and HUMOUROUS elements all combined to raise them a cut above plenty of comparable songs that are otherwise straight up dumb. And they benefit her, because they are a minority in her discography meaning the deeper cuts shine ever so much brighter.

I have been a fan so long I've never been able to be shocked by her quality, but I get why her hits confuse non-fans. 

She didn't win Album Of The Year at the Grammys three times for nothing.

You know Grammys aren't won based on talent alone and how good something is, right? It's more about who pays the most for their artist and sucks up to the right people.

As for Taylor Swift, since Speak Now "converted" EP, I decided to give the album a listen and found it an enjoyable listen. I don't think she will become a favorite of mine and make my regular rotation but if her other stuff is like this then I completely get why everyone is so nuts about her. Now back to my regularly scheduled metal.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

You know Grammys aren't won based on talent alone and how good something is, right? It's more about who pays the most for their artist and sucks up to the right people.

As for Taylor Swift, since Speak Now "converted" EP, I decided to give the album a listen and found it an enjoyable listen. I don't think she will become a favorite of mine and make my regular rotation but if her other stuff is like this then I completely get why everyone is so nuts about her. Now back to my regularly scheduled metal.

i get what you're saying about the grammy's.  this days if your touting your fav artists.  just reccomment their albums.  the grammy's is like saying look at this finger painting my child did, lol.

As far as swift goes.  she's talented IMO. big fan but she's not for everyone. 

i appreciate her as a songwriter cause she's legit.  but as i said earlier.  i'm not a fan who sucks her musical dick, lol

she's got a good pile of  of trash but this is just from 1 fan.

Mick

58 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

Her album wins are rarely disputed. So in her case, it's indicative of talent.

And glad you gave her a shot. She and Carey are the only two superstars I love as much as my metal/rock faves. I could throw Springsteen in there but I see him firmly as rock.

Though Mick is getting me into singer songwriters more and more.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

i get what you're saying about the grammy's.  this days if your touting your fav artists.  just reccomment their albums.  the grammy's is like saying look at this finger painting my child did, lol.

As far as swift goes.  she's talented IMO. big fan but she's not for everyone. 

i appreciate her as a songwriter cause she's legit.  but as i said earlier.  i'm not a fan who sucks her musical dick, lol

she's got a good pile of  of trash but this is just from 1 fan.

Mick

Yeah I don't dislike anything she has done the same as you, but you respond to the stuff she doesn't like like she mortally wounded you hahaha (Karma ft Ice Spice had me seeing red tbf).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bluefox4000 said:

i'm a huge fan as you know.  and i'm glad you're finally seeing it.  Honestly always thought it odd she never appealed to you from the off, lol

oh well you're here now.  i will admit not everything she does is a lovefest from me.  in fact some of her choices annoy me.  BUT.  i've learned to respect all aspects of her career.

My top 5  albums for your reference if you want

1. Red

2. Folklore

3. Speak now (you know this bad boy, lol0

4. Lover

5. 1989 taylor's Version (yes i'm recommended you here re-record of this.  only rerecord i endorse actually.  but it improves on the original in every way)

Actually her re-records are a high source of frustration for me but i'll go in depth if you ever get to them, lol

Mick

The re-records are what they are. I agree I tend to favour the originals (Red especially), but she gifts us with vault songs so at least it's not a total rip off. She's got a few albums worth of extra material on these records that have pleased fans.

Very like Springsteen in that regard.

Just now, Segue Myles said:

Yeah I don't dislike anything she has done the same as you, but you respond to the stuff she doesn't like like she mortally wounded you hahaha (Karma ft Ice Spice had me seeing red tbf).

because sorry to say i find her bad stuff unbearable mainly cause she has what i now think of as paul simon syndrome.

Now Paul simon has trash but he'll do it in "oh look how cute and clever i am!!!!!" way.

i get that from Taylor too.

ME!

Shake it off

we're never getting back together.

Mick

7 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

because sorry to say i find her bad stuff unbearable mainly cause she has what i now think of as paul simon syndrome.

Now Paul simon has trash but he'll do it in "oh look how cute and clever i am!!!!!" way.

i get that from Taylor too.

ME!

Shake it off

we're never getting back together.

Mick

True but I put those songs down to being young and bratty.

Me! honestly sounds as shit as the average Panic! crap, so smug and OTT camp. Hate it.

2 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

True but I put those songs down to being young and bratty.

Me! honestly sounds as shit as the average Panic! crap, so smug and OTT camp. Hate it.

As someone who loves Panic!, very little of their material is *that* annoying. Speak Now made me do a 179 on Taylor, and ME is the 1% I’m still tossing out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

As someone who loves Panic!, very little of their material is *that* annoying. Speak Now made me do a 179 on Taylor, and ME is the 1% I’m still tossing out.

I should have clarified: the Panic! material I don't like. Which I'd toss Me! in with

Me! had me legit worried for that album. Ended up one of only two songs I didn't like that album.

Both were the lead singles haha

43 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

yea EP i'm with you.  i can't endorse Segue any time he calls Panic annoying.  maybe a tad but i LOVE paanic to death.

but his duet with swift......that's my 1% annoying, lol don't enjoy it.

but love mostly everything else.

Mick

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

yea EP i'm with you.  i can't endorse Segue any time he calls Panic annoying.  maybe a tad but i LOVE paanic to death.

but his duet with swift......that's my 1% annoying, lol don't enjoy it.

but love mostly everything else.

Mick

I hate his voice

*hides*

Saw them live and walked out

2 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

I hate his voice

*hides*

Saw them live and walked out

:16ton:

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

:16ton:

AT LEAST YOU LOVE HIM

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

AT LEAST YOU LOVE HIM

I do, it’s true. I was singing every word the second time I saw him. They did the whole new album in order right in the middle of the set with cool string and brass interludes. It was magic.